Statins ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
lancashirelad

Re: Statins ?

Post by lancashirelad »

I’m on Atorvastatin 20mg any advance on 20mg?
I’m 70 this year, never (touch wood) spent a night in hospital all my life, so was a bit unnerved when they prescribed statins, but hey ho, it is what it is?
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

In line with this government, globalisation, big business, greed and profits, Sorry, but I really believe this push, of doctors to readily prescribe drugs of all types, regardless of side effects and cost, is .... a scam.

Big pharma is making huge profits on our health concerns. and govt is collecting the taxes. sometimes actually putting our lives at risk.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

garyboy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 6:44 am In line with this government, globalisation, big business, greed and profits, Sorry, but I really believe this push, of doctors to readily prescribe drugs of all types, regardless of side effects and cost, is .... a scam.

Big pharma is making huge profits on our health concerns. and govt is collecting the taxes. sometimes actually putting our lives at risk.
And doctors go to nice "medical conferences", hosted by drug companies. Then prescribe (in large doses) the drugs they learned about there. Doctors can also be victims of good marketing.
But I don't know. Maybe we all need to be on cocktail of drugs to live long and prosper.
Personally I think healthy diet and exercise could replace most drugs. The biggest reason I avoid them myself is that they are so expensive. I cannot afford them unless I lower my standard of living. But my life might be shorter. Dilemma.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Hall

Post by Hall »

I did the diet and got the bad cholesterol down and at a check up 4 years ago nearly double figures and been on statins since without a problem
Diet is NOT the only answer listen to your body and your Doctor ......
Aka "jkay"
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Disregarding the politics of Capitalism maybe we should be thankful for the extended quality and quantity of life that comes from the work of medicine and medics. I'm sure many around the World would gladly swap places to be in our shoes.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Whilst I don't think it particularly mentions statins 'The Book of Getting Older' by Doctor Lucy Pollock does have some interesting things to say about medicines, side effects and taking one medicine to counteract another etc. Also well worth a read if you are a certain age or have relatives who are. I managed to get a copy from my local library whilst I am still fortunate enough to have one.
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

been on them couple of years bit of heart problems in family, for some reason got pains in my legs first off but Doc lowered dose been good since, i think they know better than me so do as im told
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Well it looks like I'm a about to join this club. I had a starved cholesterol test and it came in at 8.4 which I hear is not good for a 45 year old vegetarian.

C'est la vie...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Been on them for years (20mg) ever since I had a routing MRI scan on my head as part of check on those little anvil bones in my head after I went for my hearing tested for the 1st time. The MRI showed I have early signs of cerebral ischemia (the furring of the arteries in my head). So my risk of a stroke, dementia etc is higher than average. cerebral ischemia in the same way as the furring of the heart can cause a heart attack, but this is in my head. This means I risk factor is beyond what the usual old mans lifestyle risk assessment the doctor allows for. So I`m resigned to the fact that I`m on them for life.
I usually have an annual blood test around March, however for some reason I ended up being tested in January a week or two after coming back from an all inclusive holiday, and my cholesterol was high because of it and they doubled the dose. IF I had the bloods done in March my cholesterol would have come down naturally and no one would bee any wiser. I`m back in next week for more blood tests and hopefully the dosage should be back to 20mg

Return to “THE PUB”