Dakar coverage 2023

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
simonw

Dakar coverage 2023

Post by simonw »

I'm sure I ask this every year, but any ideas where to catch up with some Dakar coverage? Searching the Sky planner I can't see any listing for Eurosport, but maybe I just didn't look properly (not that their 30 minute synopsis of an entire day's racing is particularly good, of course!).
Hall

Re: Dakar coverage 2023

Post by Hall »

Red Bull TV have great coverage ,just download the free app on your phone and then throw/share to your TV
Aka "jkay"
Toe

Post by Toe »

As Hall said the Red Bull coverage is very good. Look on Red Bull TV on web, app, smart TVs, etc - the show is called "Dakar Daily".
Lots of bivouac action and talking to their sponsored pilots. Obviously lots of moto and auto pilots but I'll miss the behind the scenes and under the covers coverage of the Kamaz trucks, there's something I find captivating about vehicles that size doing what they do!

The Dakar youtube channel has good 2-4 min highlights of the classes separated out as well.

Eurosport are the official broadcaster for Europe but you don't get any additional coverage from the above. Obviously the Dakar/ASO provide the broadcasters with the footage which goes on to youtube and mixed in with Red Bulls own coverage anyway.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
fw750x

Post by fw750x »

Hello Simonw The Coverage Starts on Eurosport 1 on Sunday 1st of January at 20.00 Hope this Helps Cheers Francis
simonw

Post by simonw »

As usual, Eurosport screwed up, as they seem to do every year with Dakar coverage. Settling down to watch the 8pm show which I'd recorded, I was instead treated to an hour of people running and mountain biking in Argentina or somewhere. They really are an extraordinarily unreliable and incompetent broadcaster,
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The thing is it has been edited etc and commentary made from the finish ON THAT DAY--which takes time. So although they probably try and hold to the schedule I guess the time constraints are just too much sometimes--would you like Carlton's job!!!!
simonw

Post by simonw »

Granted the time constraints are a bit tough, but it's their schedule - they could put it on later. But to just not show anything about the listed programme is pants. "For all those tuning in to see Bee Keeping With Bill, we're sorry but due to a technical issue we're showing you sailing from Cape Horn instead" wouldn't have gone amiss.
Toe

Post by Toe »

It always used to be the snooker overrunning! :roll:
Frustratingly the Eurosport coverage is comparatively quite good this year. Red Bull's Dakar Daily has been disappointing so far and seems like Mike Chen isn't following the bivouac but just reading a script in a studio, videos seem to be under 10 mins this year rather than previous years ~20 mins.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM

Return to “THE PUB”