Tax on electric bikes

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Godspeed

Tax on electric bikes

Post by Godspeed »

Just saw the chancellors announcement saying that by 2025 there will be a tax on electric motorcycles…. I wonder how much that will be?
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Tax on electric bikes

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I think the penny has just dropped.

If things stayed as they are with ICE vehicles being phased out, there would be a huge black hole in the books left by no VED and no fuel duty.

Can't remember if I've said already on this forum, but experts at Eaton Corp (which makes truck gearboxes and components for EVs, say that Europe's electric generating grid will have to double in capacity by 2050 just to meet the demand from battery-electric trucks.

At the same time, the generators themselves will have to abandon coal, gas and oil (things are going the other way at the moment...in Germany a windfarm is being knocked down to make way for a lignite mine).

In short...it's not going to happen...and even if it did there would be an increase in CO2 from building all the infrastructure.

Next teensy little problemette ...the global population of 8 billion and rising is fed by agriculture based on fertiliser made from gas and oil, and diesel-engined machines and transportation. Let's give up fossil fuels and see who starves first.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Small in the beginning, then rising.
If they'd only tax the rich.
Last edited by Magnusson on Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Godspeed wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:08 pm Just saw the chancellors announcement saying that by 2025 there will be a tax on electric motorcycles…. I wonder how much that will be?
Up to 165 for ev cars and up to 290 for ev vans per year .. to gain an extra ved 1.6 billion for government.

Plus an extra 6 billion to be gained from 12p per litre govt duty rise on petrol and diesel..

Both by April next year, planned .

(Bikes to be totally banned by Xmas, prison for anyone even thinking about 2 wheels .. ok, not this bit)

4 months left till the poorest of us are priced off the roads .. plus general ruin of the UK economy if these go through.

I expect these will be delayed till past the next election.. for Labour.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

"Renewable electricity generators in the UK will be hit with a 45% windfall tax effective from the new year. The “temporary” measure was announced today by Chancellor Jeremy Hunt in the Autumn Statement and will run though until 2028."
It seems that doing the 'right thing' no longer has the incentives it once did :roll:.

I think I need to recomission my old Biodiesel home brew plant :twisted: .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

As usual there is a complete lack of joined up thinking. The climate crisis is the biggest problem facing mankind, this country included. The knock on effects it terms of impact on food production, migration etc are going to be horrendous.
Electric vehicles may not be the solution but there are probably part of it. Electric vehicles can be used as batteries. Most car owners do not travel anywhere near the full capacity of their batteries on the daily commute so they can be charged up overnight, run to and from work and then fed back into the grid at peak times before recharging overnight. We could install smart charges which offer free charging when we over produce wind power for instance. The production of electric vehicles is environmentally damaging but then so is the production of oil and ICE vehicles.
A move away from our current consumer based society where everyone ‘needs the next new thing’ would be a huge step. It feels like we are all like a modern Nero, fiddling whilst Rome burns.
A very simple solution in many ways is a huge investment in public transport, unfortunately we privatised all of ours and for decades it has been (along with the gas, electricity and water industry) been run for profit not for public service.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

When public transport was state-owned it didn't do very well either.
There are arguments for and against, but rail use went up steeply post-privatisation.

Currently, wind generators (burp) are paid not to put energy into the grid at peak generating times..we have a grid configured for a small number of large generators producing huge amounts of steady-state power. We'll need a completely reconfigured grid as well as renewable power sources.
If we are to decarbonise road freight by 2050 as planned by switching to battery-electric trucks and vans then we need to double the capacity of the current grid just to power the commercial vehicles! And, if those vehicles are to be 'carbon-neutral' we've also got to take all the fossil-driven generators out of use.
Is it worth it, and will it make any difference to anything at all?

Here's the science.

CO2 is 0.04% of the atmosphere. Just 3% of that 0.04% is 'man-made'. And just 1% of that 3% comes from the UK.

I think any rational cost-benefit analysis of the UK's Net Zero ambition will show it is nothing but a huge waste of money. Particularly as building all that infrastructure will increase our CO2 emissions anyway.

You are right in that the way to head off an environmental crisis is to consume less...for instance I run my (third-hand) cars into the ground rather than lease new ones every three years. I've got a 56-plate Ford Focus that I've had so long I can't remember when I acquired it!
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

garyboy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:15 am
Godspeed wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:08 pm Just saw the chancellors announcement saying that by 2025 there will be a tax on electric motorcycles…. I wonder how much that will be?
Up to 165 for ev cars and up to 290 for ev vans per year .. to gain an extra ved 1.6 billion for government.

Plus an extra 6 billion to be gained from 12p per litre govt duty rise on petrol and diesel..

(Bikes to be totally banned by Xmas, prison for anyone even thinking about 2 wheels .. ok, not this bit)

4 months left till the poorest of us are priced off the roads .. plus general ruin of the UK economy if these go through.

It's looking grim but the 12p per litre increase in fuel duty is only a proposition.
The majority of people won't be able to afford to go to work by car or van, and they are the people that the twat wants to buy the fuel, so it'll be a rethink for the Tories and maybe 5p would be more like it but still too much.
Either way, we're doomed. :cry:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:48 am
garyboy wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:15 am

It's looking grim but the 12p per litre increase in fuel duty is only a proposition.
The majority of people won't be able to afford to go to work by car or van, and they are the people that the twat wants to buy the fuel, so it'll be a rethink for the Tories and maybe 5p would be more like it but still too much.
Either way, we're doomed. :cry:
Yup .. the end of the world is nigh all right.
Mostly because the tories have been siphoning wealth from the poorest to the richest for over a decade and still believe there is still some blood left in that stone.

The global warming scam is still going strong. giving billions to rich companies. while siphoning extra green funds.

Ordinary people are blamed for the state of the economy so that they are are ones to pay for the mistakes and greed.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...and apparently the market for second-hand electric cars has dropped like a stone in the last two months because electricity has gone up so much. However, if you buy a new one you can still benefit from reduced cost charging deals, apparently.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “THE PUB”