Strength in Numbers?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Strength in Numbers?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

There was justification for secrecy in the old days of the TRF when many routes were ridden on 'assumed rights'.
Riders who were not conversant chapter and verse with the grounds for assuming those rights could face prosecution for riding them, and a successful prosecution could then be used to undermine those assumed rights. Brian Thompson (RIP) was the TRF's house expert on assumed rights, and many of the routes we have to day are down to his hard work...which he carried on doing even when he couldn't ride any more.
But we can't assume rights any more, and as Hugh says anyone who can read an OS map can see which routes may have MV rights.
My worry is over-promotion of certain routes can cause the issues we saw with The Ridgeway, The Viking Way and many more routes that get given funky names and attract riders from all over.
There's not much we can do apart from what most on this forum do already...keep the noise, group size, and speed down, be polite to everyone, and avoid damaging the lanes and their surroundings.
Sadly there were at one time videos in circulation of certain prominent arrivistes in the TRF who appeared to be doing the opposite of the above.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Interesting conversation both sides are evident to me, myself I have had the bad experience's of loosing little known trails I used myself without issue with a fantastic relationship with landowners after the over/uncaring use by others, I am not whiter than white and was younger once so am carefull not to judge, but being selfish am very carefull what I show these days. TRF where I live appears to be a non-event, perhaps its different elsewhere. Contrary to that I get real satisfaction seeing the joy that good riding gives to others especially new or less experienced riders. in the perfect world I would love to show every where I know, power with the people, more the merrier, involving new blood and just pure enjoyment etc I see the possible benefits but have witnessed the disadvantages too, the best action going forward? I really dont know. I myself will continue to use my own filter as to what info I give to who at this time at least.
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

bikenav wrote:Interesting conversation both sides are evident to me, myself I have had the bad experience's of loosing little known trails I used myself without issue with a fantastic relationship with landowners after the over/uncaring use by others, I am not whiter than white and was younger once so am carefull not to judge, but being selfish am very carefull what I show these days. TRF where I live appears to be a non-event, perhaps its different elsewhere. Contrary to that I get real satisfaction seeing the joy that good riding gives to others especially new or less experienced riders. in the perfect world I would love to show every where I know, power with the people, more the merrier, involving new blood and just pure enjoyment etc I see the possible benefits but have witnessed the disadvantages too, the best action going forward? I really dont know. I myself will continue to use my own filter as to what info I give to who at this time at least.
That's a great, reasoned post. Isn't it sad though that we might choose not to share what we know with the younger generation perhaps, for fear of them abusing that knowledge? In positive circumstances, those guys might become our new riding buddys! Very likely to go the other way I know Image

Sent from my moto g(9) power using Tapatalk

Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I can report on a situation I knew of in Wales, where a tour guide was leading people on a mixture of public and private tracks. He had permission for the latter, and went to pains to explain to his guests that some of the routes were permissive, and the permission applied only to him and a small group of followers.

One of his followers tracked the route, then set up as a 'tour guide' riding on those routes which he didn't have permission for on the basis that he had been taken on them legally.

Just one instance of why you have to be careful...at one time or another I've met farmers, land agents etc on legal rights of way, stopped to talk to them and been told "You seem sound (or 'tidy' in Wales), you can ride wherever you like on my land."

I may or may not have done that, but I certainly wouldn't have done it in company.

But from my own point of view I can only say that: "It's good to talk"...especially to people who perhaps think you shouldn't be there.

Return to “THE PUB”