Strength in Numbers?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Seminole

Strength in Numbers?

Post by Seminole »

I was for a short time a member of the TRF and one lesson learned there was exclusivity, Protect the trails from over use..keep secret the routes.
Its a mindset present outside the club too, the reason is of course the fear of objections from local landowners and myriad other miserable gits.

Is this actually a failed position?, in recent Lockdowns the Countryside was basically invaded by carseholes with zero respect for others and the police simply watched.

Perhaps we should try a change of tack and advertise the few rights of way we still have and know of and encourage ALL to exercise the right to use them?

We dont have the numbers presently but perhaps the whole protective exclusiveness we practice is partly to blame for that?

Thoughts?
Paul_C

Re: Strength in Numbers?

Post by Paul_C »

A good idea but I still think a voluntary restriction on a group size is a good idea. Riding in the Peaks I avoid more than three if possible.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'm no longer in the TRF, but I believe the current policy is to publicise all routes via an on-line map.
The TRF also supports the TET...which I think provides the antis with a useful list of key routes to target for closure. Now the village halls are open, I think we can expect the usual suspects to tour the country calling for the closure of the 'race tracks for motorbikes'.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...maybe we do need a bit more mass action...a bit like the French seem to do about stuff?
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Perhaps trf needs new good leadership. Basically it is an excellent concept, but maybe has mirrored our uk government.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

'Scottrider' is quite correct in that we do need to be more proactive in protecting our routes, especially when requests go out for User Evidence.

The question of publishing routes is not a real problem in my view, the vast majority of routes are known by those who don't care about courtesy in society and the routes are published on all Ordnance Survey maps anyway. What is not published on the maps are changes to classification and TROs, although those details are available on Trailwise2.

Sadly those who abuse routes will do so irrespective of legal status or agreed standards of courtesy to others. Similarly those who steal are also not perturbed by the threat of legal action as they know that such is most unlikely. Good old fashioned self and public pride is required.

TTFN

Hugh.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Lots of trails are being repaired and therefore sanitized for all user access (walkers/disabled buggies/cyclists/horse riders) and that’s a good thing
I still closure will happen though - by restrictions & covenants
With the move to electric vehicles, these may be allowed on routes, whereas petrol and Diesel engined vehicles will be barred
We may be able to buy electric conversion for our bikes (already popular in classic cars, to fit electric engines) and we will still be able to use these recreational routes
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Interestingly, the ban on noisy polluting motorcycles on mountain roads in Germany specifically includes electric motorcycles!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:Interestingly, the ban on noisy polluting motorcycles on mountain roads in Germany specifically includes electric motorcycles!
Out to get us all then Image
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “THE PUB”