Advice sought please, broken collarbone.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Pint Master

Advice sought please, broken collarbone.

Post by Pint Master »

I was riding through the small North Yorkshire village of Starbottom on Bank holiday Monday in company with 3 mates on my 3 week old 890 Adventure R when coming in the opposite direction a titled gentleman driving a Toyota Urban Cruiser clipped the drystone garden wall on his side of the road causing the rear of his car to spinout across the road hitting me hard, I came to lying in the road with several people stood about and the sound of an ambulance siren, the ambulance was on standby not too far away, Police also attended, the ambulance took me to Airedale hospital where I very swiftly and efficiently received a CT scan and X Ray all good save for a collar bone broken in 2 places the consultant was great and explained I would need an operation to have plates fitted he had tried phoning my local hospital Hitchinbrook in Huntingdon but despite calling for 15 minutes was not able to get a response I was told I needed to go home, St Ives in Cambridgeshire, and attend A and E at Hitchinbrook the next morning.
Half past six in the morning the next day saw me at A and E in Huntingdon three and a half hours later I was taken into a small office by a Doctor/Surgeon/Consultant, I dont know what or who he was he was, I was asked if I wanted an operation or be fitted with a cage whilst talking to me through a half open door and making notes on a piece of scrap paper he didn't explain the pros and cons of the two treatments so remembering the words of the consultant in Airedale I requested an operation his response was that many people preferred the cage as they feared surgery and that if I wanted an operation I would have to go to Peterborough as such operations were no longer performed at Huntingdon.Later in the day after returning home I received a text appointment at Huntingdon for next Monday the 25th.
Im in reasonable amount of discomfort and I just want it sorted to give the best possible long term outcome I wonder if it would be best to go private or just stick with the less than satisfactory so far Hitchinbrook, as this is a fairly common injury I was looking for advice, thanks Tony.
Godspeed

Re: Advice sought please, broken collarbone.

Post by Godspeed »

Firstly, so sorry to hear about your accident, whatever happens I hope you heal up quickly and that your bike (I imagine it was written off) gets sorted quickly too.
Secondly, the pain, don’t skimp on the pain management meds, they will help a little to relieve the pain, hopefully that will kick in soon.
Thirdly, sorry about your treatment. I know if it’s anything like my department at the moment that we’ve got lots of people off sick, lots of people leaving too and it leaves a lot of stressed and overwhelmed staff with too many patients and not enough time for proper conversations and care.
To the question, should you go private? That’s hard to answer, I’ve worked in both NHS and private healthcare and treatment can be worse in either. My initial thoughts are go with the appointment on the 25th and see what they say. You can always change your mind, and you might get better and quicker treatment than you expected.

Whatever happens, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a quick recovery 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

If it's any help I broke mine a few years ago racing in holland , after a night in hospital with concussion I arrived back home in uk ,went to my local A&E after a look at my scan which I had on a cd the consultant said I could have it plated or let it heal itself, I asked him what would he do and he said the latter , it took a few weeks and some discomfort but it healed and I just have a couple of lumps where the breaks were , I certainly have full use of my arm and no ill effects, hope you mend quickly.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

What’s a ‘titled gentleman’ ?
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Sorry to read about what happened, I hope the guy who caused it stopped or was traced.

Whichever route you decide to take, I would highly recommend you paying for some Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy afterwards to speed up and improve the healing of the bones. My mates who race, regularly break or fracture bones, all use the hyperbaric oxygen therapy. One guy broke his ankle last year and 6 weeks later he was racing again.

I wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Blimey...get well soon mate.

I've not broken a collar bone, so I can't help with 'lived experience' .

I know racers have them plated and jump back on the bike, but whether that's the best thing to do in the long-term, I really don't know.

I'd definitely get a second opinion...some doctors are absolutely shocking in their incompetence. And don't forget to sue the twit who knocked you off
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

In my recent dealings with the NHS the care and treatment have been excellent, but when you actually have to use them you realise how desperately under staffed and overstretched they are. This was true before Covid, although both Covid and Brexit have made the situation worse in many areas.
I broke my collar bone over thirty years ago and even though I asked for it to be plated they said that wasn’t an option. Mine took about four weeks to heal naturally, it might have been a bit less but I was in a rush and tried doing press up after two weeks and heard it crack again. I was left with a lump in my shoulder but otherwise no issues.
I guess if you can afford to go private, or can claim it back off the insurance, then that is one fewer operation the NHS has to deal with.
Good luck whichever way you go with it
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Jak* wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:26 am In my recent dealings with the NHS the care and treatment have been excellent, but when you actually have to use them you realise how desperately under staffed and overstretched they are. This was true before Covid, although both Covid and Brexit have made the situation worse in many areas.
I broke my collar bone over thirty years ago and even though I asked for it to be plated they said that wasn’t an option. Mine took about four weeks to heal naturally, it might have been a bit less but I was in a rush and tried doing press up after two weeks and heard it crack again. I was left with a lump in my shoulder but otherwise no issues.
I guess if you can afford to go private, or can claim it back off the insurance, then that is one fewer operation the NHS has to deal with.
Good luck whichever way you go with it
I myself have had major dealings with the NHS over the last 3 years and they saved my life, the care I received at Addenbrooks and Papworth was outstanding and particularly the nursing staff who's care patience and skill were superb, the way I was dealt with at Airedale was outstanding and whilst they were reasonably busy, CT scan with results X Ray Sling Fitted a cup of "made" not from a machine cup of tea for myself and my mate Mike who waited with me, in and out in an hour and a half, the care and time spent by Martin the Consultant all couldn't have been bettered, at Hitchinbrook the story couldn't have been more different, I know my injury is minor and I appreciate they are rushed and short handed but the way I was dealt with left something to be desired and left their ability to deal with my, to them very minor issue, in doubt, the consultant at Airedale who checked by over was adamant that because the bone was badly broken and in 3 pieces it would need an operation, the chap at Hitchinbrook didn't examine me although he did have the X Rays from Airedale to look at well I hope he did.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

At its best, the NHS is superb. My shiny new Pacemaker was the best birthday present I've ever had, and watching it being installed was very interesting.
At its worst (see the maternity scandal in Telford, which is about to be duplicated in Nottingham) it's a murderous organisation which is quite prepared to kill in the name of political correctness and cover it up afterwards.
When exposed, it's 'lessons will be learned' and the offenders promoted to positions where they can't do quite so much harm!
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Richard how you can watch them operating on you to me is beyond belief I have my eyes firmly shut when I have blood taken. Ive had 4 operations over the last 3 years massive one at Addenbrooks in 2019, minor one at Hitchinbrook in 2021 and 2 at Papworth last year 2nd one because of a mistake made during the first, no problem we all make errors, in my experience the nurses the cleaners the people that bring round meals and the porters are wonderful, the doctors not so much, it always amuses me when the consultant makes his rounds and the other doctors gather round as if ready to polish his shoes or brush down his clothing and the nursing staff seem in genuine fear holding them in some sort of godlike status, I was once told off by a nurse for asking a doctor to close my door as he left my room.
Im very grateful to the HNS for continuing my treatment through covid Ive heard a lot of people haven't been so fortunate.

Return to “THE PUB”