Advice sought please, broken collarbone.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Barcelona Pat

Re: Advice sought please, broken collarbone.

Post by Barcelona Pat »

"Dr O´Dell fell down a well and broke his collarbone. But Doctors should attend the sick and leave the well alone!"

Not much to offer, aside from what I hope is some light relief (courtesy of Spike Milligan) and my best wishes for your recovery after what sounds like a nasty off.

Pat
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Pint Master wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:20 pm Richard how you can watch them operating on you to me is beyond belief I have my eyes firmly shut when I have blood taken. Ive had 4 operations over the last 3 years massive one at Addenbrooks in 2019, minor one at Hitchinbrook in 2021 and 2 at Papworth last year 2nd one because of a mistake made during the first, no problem we all make errors, in my experience the nurses the cleaners the people that bring round meals and the porters are wonderful, the doctors not so much, it always amuses me when the consultant makes his rounds and the other doctors gather round as if ready to polish his shoes or brush down his clothing and the nursing staff seem in genuine fear holding them in some sort of godlike status, I was once told off by a nurse for asking a doctor to close my door as he left my room.
Im very grateful to the HNS for continuing my treatment through covid Ive heard a lot of people haven't been so fortunate.
In my distant past I was a farmworker, so had to deal with calving, dead animals, sheep with footrot and maggots, and holding cows' heads while they had injections for something called New Forest Eye.
I couldn't see much of the operation, but I could follow what they were saying (a trainee was being coached through it by a senior) and I could also see the X-ray screen from time to time....what looked like an After Eight Mint with two wires leading to my heart!
I couldn't feel it AT ALL, which was extraordinary. I don't think there was much blood as they didn't need to put any back!
They did a debrief afterwards, and the senior said: "Is that it?" to the junior, and I reminded them that junior had said the scissors were a bit blunt. They laughed and wrote it down.
Amazing.
One thing that wold worry me is anything to do with my eyes. I'm not sure I could stand sharp pointy things near my eyes. But put a battery in my chest and wind a couple of wires into my heart...fine! Just make sure everything is clean.
soho

Post by soho »

My left arm was snapped off clean at the rotator cuff which had multiple fractures in itself, whole lot was screwed and plate back together and after several subsequent ops has never given me any pain or trouble. The left collarbone was left to heal itself, as I had too many other worse injuries to fix (all the same accident) and it has given me pain ever since. If I had the choice I'd have had it plated too. Although I'd still respect the surgeons decision above my own wishes.
s0004_0000b.jpeg
s0004_0000b.jpeg (46.01 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
Edit : As a foot note - permanent niggle with it, as the two ends apparently from a "golf ball" like join which never really hardens in the middle and gives pain when under pressure.
The risks of plating though are the serious damage that could be caused to nerves in the surrounding area. Which is why the surgeon always has the last word with me !
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I had a straight forward break of my collar bone 47 years ago after a moped accident, mate fell of in front of me and I hit him, bloody stupid place to fall off in front of my wheel :lol:
Few weeks and it healed, you can see where the bones don't line up properly, quite amusing when a staff nurse was looking at my shoulder after coming off my MTB and I could see what she was thinking,"no I broke that years ago :lol:

I watched a monitor as a consultant threaded a wire through a blocked artery and inserted a stent, fasinating actually!
As for eyes I freak out at the thought of any surgery on them! Once managed to stab my eye with a piece of wire and upon seeing the blood I was panicking! Rushed to see gp and he said it seems ok but go to eye hospital, if you have detached the retina they can sew it back :shock: I hadn't luckily!
Last edited by Nigel on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I broke mine about 7 years ago, but a clean, straight break so no need for surgery & I wish you a speedy recovery. For me it was the worst pain of my life for several weeks (I wasn't given any meds, had to sleep in a chair the first week until it started to fuse together ) but I now only remember it was my right scapula because I couldn't write, they usually heal well, I was back climbing trees & riding 80 miles a day within 10 weeks.

Fingers crossed for the 25th
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

So anyway in the end I had an operation at Peterborough City Hospital where I had plates and screws put in this bought almost instant relief from the pain and discomfort Id been suffering over the preceding two weeks. A couple of days later I traveled to The Physiotherapy Health Centre in Ipswich where I received electric and Laser treatment, this reduces recovery time, sounds like Quackery but is standard practise in the competitive Motocross worldImage

So out on a few gentle lanes today to put a few running in miles towards the first service before the North Yorkshire Coast to Coast next Month.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Good that you are up and running again.

How does the new bike compare to the 790...which IIRC you didn't keep long?
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:48 am Good that you are up and running again.

How does the new bike compare to the 790...which IIRC you didn't keep long?
The 890 engine is much nicer than the 790 low torque is far superior running over technical terrain can be done at tick over without fear of stalling and the pick up from tick over is immediate the fuelling is really good, also the 890 is a much sweeter sounding engine the 790 does tend to sound like a bucket of bolts.

Return to “THE PUB”