F1 tech explained.......briliantly

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
bikenav

F1 tech explained.......briliantly

Post by bikenav »

I am not an F1 fan but have a passing interest in the tech in them if you have take a look at this.
daveuprite

Re: F1 tech explained.......briliantly

Post by daveuprite »

Yes that's beautifully explained in 20 minutes. It confirmed some things I thought I knew, put me right on some things I had not understood and taught me some things I didn't know at all.

So aerodynamically speaking it's basically doing the opposite of an aeroplane. You know they (whoever 'they' are) say that with the downforce of an F1 car you could theoretically drive it upside down on the roof of a tunnel. Well has anyone worked out what kind of speed that would require?

OK, so just found this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/175 ... pside-down

Looks like about 120mph would do it. Whatever it takes for the downforce (or upforce if you like) to exceed the weight of the car. Can't believe nobody has tried it. You'd need a kind of long gradual spiralling road I suppose to get you up and over on to the 'ceiling'.... Come on Hamilton, what's wrong with you man?
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:23 pm Yes that's beautifully explained in 20 minutes. It confirmed some things I thought I knew, put me right on some things I had not understood and taught me some things I didn't know at all.

So aerodynamically speaking it's basically doing the opposite of an aeroplane. You know they (whoever 'they' are) say that with the downforce of an F1 car you could theoretically drive it upside down on the roof of a tunnel. Well has anyone worked out what kind of speed that would require?

OK, so just found this:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/175 ... pside-down

Looks like about 120mph would do it. Whatever it takes for the downforce (or upforce if you like) to exceed the weight of the car. Can't believe nobody has tried it. You'd need a kind of long gradual spiralling road I suppose to get you up and over on to the 'ceiling'.... Come on Hamilton, what's wrong with you man?
Is Guy Martin on this forum?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Must say, I found it much easier to understand the physics in that video than the bloody rule-book applied by the stewards in yesterday's Saudi F1 race. Quite apart from the argument that Saudi Arabia should be boycotted by F1 rather than supported, that race was just farcical. Almost impossible to follow the multitude of stops/starts/safety cars/red flags/restarts/time penalties/grid position penalties etc etc. The sport has got too complex when the viewers need a day to gen up on the rule book before they can understand what's going on in front of them. The commentators had a nightmare.

I wouldn't be surprised if the championship is actually decided in court rather than on the track...
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 am Must say, I found it much easier to understand the physics in that video than the bloody rule-book applied by the stewards in yesterday's Saudi F1 race. Quite apart from the argument that Saudi Arabia should be boycotted by F1 rather than supported, that race was just farcical. Almost impossible to follow the multitude of stops/starts/safety cars/red flags/restarts/time penalties/grid position penalties etc etc. The sport has got too complex when the viewers need a day to gen up on the rule book before they can understand what's going on in front of them. The commentators had a nightmare.

I wouldn't be surprised if the championship is actually decided in court rather than on the track...
A few of those decisions were taken by the race director and not referred to the Stewards.

The principal of coming to an agreement on an issue is all and well, but cannot be independent, which could lead to all sorts of protests. I think that was bad management, just let the stewards get on with it.

Team bosses bleating like spoiled children (Horner especially), blaming others and being two faced about incidents where committed by the team or against the team, just reeks of the It's all about me generation.

The biggest loser in this years Championship has been sporting, gentlemanly conduct. It can be fun to watch, but not as a pure form of racing, more of a soap opera on wheels.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 am
I also think that could be the case. If both drivers fail to score points due to a crash then the score will remain as it is now, i.e. they will both have equal points. In that case Verstappen will win the championship because he will have more race wins.

There is a high likelihood of them coming together again in the last race and neither of them finishing it. If that happens I reckon one or both of the teams will resort to the legal process... :roll:
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “THE PUB”