IMG_E3914.JPG
IMG_E3914.JPG (58.78 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
IMG_E3915.JPG
IMG_E3915.JPG (49.64 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
moto al
Cornishman

Re: the decline of biking in germany

Post by Cornishman »

In my experience of Germany, based on living and working there for over 26 years, new bike sales are only the tip of the iceberg. I used to love seeing the immaculate ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s bikes that would come out on sunny Sundays and holidays. Nearly every household seemed to have an interesting bike of some sort tucked away in the cellar or garage.
simonw

Post by simonw »

Not a single Ducati in the top 20, even with their broad lineup. Blimey.
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

Cornishman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:48 pm In my experience of Germany, based on living and working there for over 26 years, new bike sales are only the tip of the iceberg. I used to love seeing the immaculate ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s bikes that would come out on sunny Sundays and holidays. Nearly every household seemed to have an interesting bike of some sort tucked away in the cellar or garage.
Living in Germany I can report no shortage of bikes on the road.
Three of my mates are going to get their bike license for the next season.
They'll be buying used bikes though.
Most Germans either buy/lease a new car. A bike is often bought cash in hand, hence less new bikes. (Purely my own observations/thoughts.

Seeing the recent price hikes in fuel, a bike might suddenly suit more people.
I just bought a used 125 scooter (4stroke Yamaha Cygnus I believe) , it sips fuel and is a hoot to ride about on.
Besides that you don't pay road tax (which isn't all that much on a bigger bike) and insurance is 55 Quid a year.
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Dutchgit wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:20 pm
Cornishman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:48 pm In my experience of Germany, based on living and working there for over 26 years, new bike sales are only the tip of the iceberg. I used to love seeing the immaculate ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s bikes that would come out on sunny Sundays and holidays. Nearly every household seemed to have an interesting bike of some sort tucked away in the cellar or garage.
Living in Germany I can report no shortage of bikes on the road.
Three of my mates are going to get their bike license for the next season.
They'll be buying used bikes though.
Most Germans either buy/lease a new car. A bike is often bought cash in hand, hence less new bikes. (Purely my own observations/thoughts.

Seeing the recent price hikes in fuel, a bike might suddenly suit more people.
I just bought a used 125 scooter (4stroke Yamaha Cygnus I believe) , it sips fuel and is a hoot to ride about on.
Besides that you don't pay road tax (which isn't all that much on a bigger bike) and insurance is 55 Quid a year.
on the subject of fuel price

Image20211029_141612 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

I stopped at Crickhowell in Wales today and decided to go for the E5 petrol ........ it was £1.60 per litre ??? :shock: :shock:

there were not many bikes on the road .. but then i had picked a good sunny time, on a friday, inbetween deluges of rain.

So petrol prices could well start to put UK peoples off? especially as the tax is not so low, and there are now so many cameras about.

I usually see a fair few bikes about, in the summer, on a sunday or saturday, but not so much in the week ... and when i stop i rarely see many bikes in the car parks? .. but perhaps i go at the wrong times??

Image20211029_151109 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

Abergavenny bus station, with the Oasis cafe

not germany .. but ..........

Return to “THE PUB”