Don't get an electric car without watching this...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Don't get an electric car without watching this...

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

It's untrue.

Sale of new ICE passenger cars will be banned (supposedly). But there are no plans to ban existing ICE vehicles, and electric vehicles with ICE 'range extenders' (a complicated, bulky and expensive 'solution') will still be sold new.

I suspect that by then the penny will have dropped and the nonsense will be parked up.

The Scott Amundsen weather station in Antarctica just reported the lowest temperature ever recorded 'live' on Earth, and much of the current energy crisis stems from unusually cold winter seasons in both hemispheres having depleted global gas and coal supplies. Much of this is not widely reported because it doesn't fit 'the narrative,' or is blamed on other factors such as Brexit.

Summer too has been chilly...the UK's asparagus crop was wiped out by cold weather. There is now food price inflation of about 7 per cent in the EU because of a cold winter followed by a cold summer. The earth really isn't burning, and there is no climate emergency. There is, however, an energy emergency caused by dis-investment in fossil fuels, and a possible food crisis unless things warm up a bit next summer.

I know this isn't a popular view, but it only takes a little research to see what's actually happening. My oil tank is still well over half-full, and the woodsheds are stacked. I suggest that those of you who can take similar precautions, as gas, electric and oil are all going to be more expensive this winter.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:26 am It's untrue.

Sale of new ICE passenger cars will be banned (supposedly). But there are no plans to ban existing ICE vehicles, and electric vehicles with ICE 'range extenders' (a complicated, bulky and expensive 'solution') will still be sold new.

I suspect that by then the penny will have dropped and the nonsense will be parked up.

The Scott Amundsen weather station in Antarctica just reported the lowest temperature ever recorded 'live' on Earth, and much of the current energy crisis stems from unusually cold winter seasons in both hemispheres having depleted global gas and coal supplies. Much of this is not widely reported because it doesn't fit 'the narrative,' or is blamed on other factors such as Brexit.

Summer too has been chilly...the UK's asparagus crop was wiped out by cold weather. There is now food price inflation of about 7 per cent in the EU because of a cold winter followed by a cold summer. The earth really isn't burning, and there is no climate emergency. There is, however, an energy emergency caused by dis-investment in fossil fuels, and a possible food crisis unless things warm up a bit next summer.

I know this isn't a popular view, but it only takes a little research to see what's actually happening. My oil tank is still well over half-full, and the woodsheds are stacked. I suggest that those of you who can take similar precautions, as gas, electric and oil are all going to be more expensive this winter.
Oh dear. 😕
Richard Simpson Mark II

It is a bit grim, but nothing we can't deal with if we are prepared.

Sadly some of the crops in our veg garden failed through lack of heat and sunlight. We are rethinking our planting plan for next year.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Another problem that has emerged this year across the world is that rather than getting windier (as gambled on by the renewable fuels lobby) because of 'climate change', the weather is now calming, placing an increasing burden of thermal generation as wind fails to deliver as planned. In spite of its commitments to 'renewables' New Zealand is now importing record amounts of coal.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

One of the biggest issues with global warming is that its impact is not predictable. Presumably only those who do not step out of their double glazed air conditioned houses will have not noticed that the UK weather patterns seem to have changed in the last few years. We have had some exceptionally warm days in February, then just when we thought it was safe to put our winter bike gear away some very cold weather in April, or this year in May. I was sat outside a pub well after dark in shirt sleeves last Saturday, which is not usual in mid October. As the ice caps melt so the weather patterns will lose their predictability. We may already be too late to turn back our impact on the planet, but if we are not the point of no return is fast approaching. I doubt electric cars are the solution and certainly viable public transport would have a greater impact, but at least they are part of a growing trend of people trying to do something rather than burying their heads in the sand, or pretending there is not a problem.
Richard Simpson Mark II

I just heard an interesting discussion on R4. The guy from the IPCC said that all that business about '12 years to save the Earth' was based on a misinterpretation of their last report and the stuff about anything more than a 1.5 C rise in temperatures being a disaster was misleading, and the IPCC had never said this was the case.

There are two possibilities:

1) The IPCC is now trying to wind its neck in from a previous position and 'blaming the media' for sensationalism.

2) The IPCC's position was never what XR and all the other virtue-signallers claimed it was. There isn't a 'climate emergency'.

He and the other panelists went on to say that they felt the media should not focus on reporting numerical figures that people couldn't understand, but more on what people could do to help the environment in their lives and actions.

Prof Brian Cox (also on the panel) was saying that science isn't always right, in fact it's never been 100% right about 100% of things, knowledge changes as understanding develops and so on. He used to say (climate) science is settled. But what he was saying this PM was science generally is never entirely settled, and we need to be open to new discoveries and new conclusions.

Personally I'm continuing to lead as low an impact life as I can: burning 'windfall' wood, running old cars and motorbikes, making compost, growing a bit of our own food, picking up other people's plastic rubbish and sending it off to the local power station to be burned, creating wildlife habitat where I can etc etc. I'm not going to spunk out £20,000 on an electric clown car to look green.

Remember, the climate is a complex, chaotic system, and you can't model simple 'cause and effect' in complex chaotic systems.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

We could of course all follow Charlie boys example and run our Aston Martins on wine and cheese.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Sounds like a terrible waste to me!
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Cornishman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:07 am
Snaf MKII wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:18 am
fatowl wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:11 am You won't be able to do that soon, as petrol and diesel vehicles will be outright banned from 2035.
Is that true? I thought it was only new sales.
Me too. I was going to ask for a link to any suggestion that ICE vehicles were going to be removed from the road by then.
Current stated position is for sales to be banned in 2030, and use banned shortly after I think it was 2035. They also said they may bring these timescales forward, though they didn't say under what criterea
they would do this.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

fatowl wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:32 pm
Cornishman wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:07 am
Snaf MKII wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:18 am
fatowl wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:11 am You won't be able to do that soon, as petrol and diesel vehicles will be outright banned from 2035.
Is that true? I thought it was only new sales.
Me too. I was going to ask for a link to any suggestion that ICE vehicles were going to be removed from the road by then.
Current stated position is for sales to be banned in 2030, and use banned shortly after I think it was 2035. They also said they may bring these timescales forward, though they didn't say under what criterea
they would do this.
I thought the sales ban was originally going to be 2040 but they've brought that forward to 2030. This is the first that I've heard of a ban on using existing petrol/diesel engines, not that I doubt that it's the long term goal but do you have any links to corroborate the claim.

Edit, the proposal is to still sell hybrids up to 2035, in which case they surely won't ban petrol/diesel the day after.

Return to “THE PUB”