Don't get an electric car without watching this...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Cornishman

Re: Don't get an electric car without watching this...

Post by Cornishman »

It is really frightening to see climate change deniers posting irrelevant facts to prove their POV. As that POV appears to be with their head in the sand I hope nobody fancies joining them there. How bizarre.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

This chronological table is worth a read from about 1960 onwards. I’d forgotten a lot of the weather events in recent years, including the super cold winter of 2009/10...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o ... tish_Isles
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I know a guy who runs an estate in Cornwall with a family collection of exotic trees and plants.

For over 150 years, the family has taken and recorded daily measurements of temperature and rainfall, from the same location using the same equipment.

He was concerned about what used to be called 'global warming'.

So, he crunched the numbers to see how bad it was getting.

He found no identifiable trend or pattern, hotter or colder. The longest period of freezing cold weather was the Winter of 1962-3 (although there had been other cold winters in the period immediately after WWII), and the longest, hottest period was the Summer of 1976. It was chaotic, whcih is what you'd expect from a chaotic system like the Earth's climate.

If there really was global warming, surely he'd have seen average temps increase, even if only a little bit?

The 'hockey stick graph' uses a mix of methods to calculate the global average temps to 'prove' global warming these include tree rings from the infamous 'lonesome pine' and ice cores to indicate historic temperatures, then a mix of recorded temperatures from the historic record. Just at the point where the method changes, the 'stick' starts its upward curve. Fascinating!

There was an interesting court case in Canada about the data behind the hockey stick graph, and what happened to the raw data. You can look it up on Google.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Scott_rider wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:36 pm This chronological table is worth a read from about 1960 onwards. I’d forgotten a lot of the weather events in recent years, including the super cold winter of 2009/10...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o ... tish_Isles

Back in 2009, I still thought global warming was a thing.

It snowed..."this will be a once in a decade event or less" said the BBC. I made a snowman with my 19 year old step-son.

"Next time you can do this, you will probably be doing it with you own children" I said.

The next year I had to put snow tyres on my car to rescue him from University, and we built an even bigger snowman.

I decided not to worry about 'global warming'...it was too cold.
Richard Simpson Mark II

In 2007 the IPCC Assessment Report 4 contained the following statement in the chapter by Working Group 1 : " The climate system is a coupled non-linear chaotic system and therefore the long term prediction of future climate states is not possible"

And it was further confirmed in 2010 by Ottmar Edenhofer Chairman of the UN – IPCC Working Group 3 who said " One must say clearly that we redistribute de-facto the world's wealth by climate policy..... One has to free oneself from the illusion that international climate policy is environmental policy. This has almost nothing to do with environmental policy any more".

When it became clear during the temperature pause, 1999 onwards, that the forecasts were not supported by the empirical data, Professor Chris Holland of the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research said: "The data doesn't matter. We are not basing our recommendations on the data. We are basing them on the climate models."
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

A rather depressing piece on the world service this morning that told of how the pledges made by world leaders would only lead to about 20% of the reduction in emissions needed to avoid devastating climate change, when you consider its all talk anyway and that we wont even achieve the pathetic reductions promised then it looks like we have fucked it.

Im not that concerned that we will decimate human society and end up as a few nomads scraping an existence in the remaining deserts with plummeting O2 levels, its all the other species we will take out on the way there.

What bunch of bastards we are.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

So you have floods in Europe at the same time as heatwaves, the USA & Australia appear to have non stop fires, but it's pretty normal & it's just a bit of weather.

Electric cars aren't the answer but lets not pretend because it snowed in December, we don't have a massive climate problem
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Just thought I'd mention, regarding global warming doubters, that recently skies were found on Norwegian mountain after the snow that had been covering them for 1300 years melted. In Iceland a glacier has disappeared. The temperature of the northern Atlantic ocean has risen over 1 degree Celsius in the last decades. My conclusion is that global warming is real.
Champagne taste on beer budget.
dave h

Post by dave h »

remember int owd days we just wet our finger n stuc it up ;)

dave.
moto al

Post by moto al »

GNRV9288.JPG
GNRV9288.JPG (83.89 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
A JOKE IF IT WASNT
moto al

Return to “THE PUB”