Don’t run out of fuel

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
lancashirelad

Re: Don’t run out of fuel

Post by lancashirelad »

I passed 6 fuel stations on way home at lunch, all with Qs out onto the road just a a guy from fuel retailers was saying only problem is in the south east!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

One of our artic drivers passed 3 services on the M6 South that were out of diesel, he ended up dropping his trailer on an industrial estate so that he could get in to a small forecourt in a village with just the unit (cab). He managed to get back to the depot on the 90 litres he was allowed to have.
Whilst driving around Bedfordshire on the A1 today I was stuck at many roundabouts due to traffic queues trying to get fuel.
For fleet operators that rely on fuel cards instead of having their own bunded tank it could soon become an issue. Fortunately with 40+ trucks using 100+ litres each every day we have our own tanks.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

People have been panic-buying diesel, but not petrol.

Three filling stations in our local town: all have petrol, none have diesel. This isn't an unusual situation here.

Called in at BP because my car needed a refuel.

"Been busy today?" I asked.

"No, it's quieter than usual for a Friday."
Richard Simpson Mark II

lancashirelad wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:02 pm I passed 6 fuel stations on way home at lunch, all with Qs out onto the road just a a guy from fuel retailers was saying only problem is in the south east!!
The only DELIVERY problem is at a fe stations in the south-east. The rest is panic-buying, fanned by our friends at the BBC.

See also toilet paper and covid. There was never a shortage of toilet paper, just idiots panic-buying. I was in Tesco's when someone came back with a load for a refund. They told him to get stuffed. Funny as hell. He's probably still working his way though it now. I suspect there are people busy filling their wheelie bins with diesel as I write. The public are so stupid.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

As I understand it the problem is deliveries to BP stations only, ch4 news earlier NO mention of that!
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mickdb1 wrote: Johnny B should know better - :mrgreen: " The Yorkshire Worrier" :mrgreen:
No offence John - yer a great chap
ImageImageImage
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SteveWat

Post by SteveWat »

I think it’s great generally that underpaid jobs in Transport and Hospitality, etc…..will surely become better paid after brexit, now that we can’t exploit foreign workers as easily.
I don’t mind paying a bit extra for goods and services if it means the people who provide these services can get a decent living wage.
Perhaps we’ll value things more and not be so wasteful if things cost a bit more.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Back in the 1960s and 70s, the big oil companies employed tanker drivers directly, and treated them like royalty.
Same salary as a middle manager.
The result was those jobs were 'dead man's shoes'...only the best drivers got to do them, and once you were in you stayed in.
Then someone had the bright idea of 'taking the cost out of transport' and the jobs were 'outsourced'.
T&Cs got eroded, 'agency used to fill the gaps etc.
This is a situation of the oil co's own making. They'd rather pay their shareholders than their workers. Now they face the consequences.
Fo the drivers, it's payback time.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:40 am Back in the 1960s and 70s, the big oil companies employed tanker drivers directly, and treated them like royalty.
Same salary as a middle manager.
The result was those jobs were 'dead man's shoes'...only the best drivers got to do them, and once you were in you stayed in.
Then someone had the bright idea of 'taking the cost out of transport' and the jobs were 'outsourced'.
T&Cs got eroded, 'agency used to fill the gaps etc.
This is a situation of the oil co's own making. They'd rather pay their shareholders than their workers. Now they face the consequences.
Fo the drivers, it's payback time.
I hadn't realised it had changed that much, I had a few mates back in the 80/90's who drove tankers and they always seemed very happy with the job and rates. I seem to recall there was a no tolerance policy for points on licence or any accidents history to get the job, the drivers that came in with tankers for service or call outs were always well presented and polite compared to some of the driver I had to deal with back in the day. I've considered retaking my HGV test and doing the odd driving job over the last few years but it's probably to late now.
Richard Simpson Mark II

this is interesting...it's been a long time coming. They were laying drivers off not long ago.

Notice to managers everywhere...if you are heavy-handed with your workers, expect the same in return

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-even ... r-dispute/

Return to “THE PUB”