Speed limiter

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
catcitrus

Re: Speed limiter

Post by catcitrus »

Cornishman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:41 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:24 pm It will, it does the most damage in engines that are not regularly run
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. First imperial measures are being announced snd now the dinosaurs are returning.
I repeat, E10 is not a new fuel, it has been in use in some parts of Europe since 2009. It does not destroy engines.
Why call people dinosaurs for having PROVEN doubts about the use of E10 in certain older vehicles--don't be so arrogant and disparaging when there is OFFICIAL and Scientific guidance about which vehicles can and cannot use it?--please state your technical qualifications for such a statement--The US have used E10 for many years--but its primary purpose is/was to keep the midwest corn farmers in business--I worked there for 3 years with CAT research and have read extensively about the pros and cons--suffice to say with modern revised refining techniques its about neutral when compared to fossil fuels and their overall CO2 impact--the process is also water hungry as has been discussed--and here we have another big problem--- using more than nature can provide in aquifers . However, back to speed limiters--I have my doubts about safety when you cannot use a burst of speed to avoid an accident which may be nothing to do with your driving--cruise control is fine, but you need to be able to override a limiter if necessary. We will all end up nose to tail at 58 mph on A roads and I can see pile ups coming as we take the electronics for granted.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The most unstable part in the vast majority of vehicles is the nut behind the wheel ;)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

catcitrus wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:58 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:24 pm It will, it does the most damage in engines that are not regularly run
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. First imperial measures are being announced snd now the dinosaurs are returning.
I repeat, E10 is not a new fuel, it has been in use in some parts of Europe since 2009. It does not destroy engines.
Why call people dinosaurs for having PROVEN doubts about the use of E10 in certain older vehicles--don't be so arrogant and disparaging when there is OFFICIAL and Scientific guidance about which vehicles can and cannot use it?--please state your technical qualifications for such a statement--The US have used E10 for many years--but its primary purpose is/was to keep the midwest corn farmers in business--I worked there for 3 years with CAT research and have read extensively about the pros and cons--suffice to say with modern revised refining techniques its about neutral when compared to fossil fuels and their overall CO2 impact--the process is also water hungry as has been discussed--and here we have another big problem--- using more than nature can provide in aquifers . However, back to speed limiters--I have my doubts about safety when you cannot use a burst of speed to avoid an accident which may be nothing to do with your driving--cruise control is fine, but you need to be able to override a limiter if necessary. We will all end up nose to tail at 58 mph on A roads and I can see pile ups coming as we take the electronics for granted.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fue ... tages.html
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I hate the stuff, its not ecologically sound despite the hype and does harm to certain fuel systems but If you're going to use an advert for ethanol testing kits (you have to buy one to see if the evil stuff is in your fuel) well c'mon.......

For the majority of cars on the road and bikes less than a decade or so old it's ..meh, yes it will give less MPG, yes it its hygroscopic but your motor isnt anywhere near as worried about it as you are.

I have problems with the way its promoted as Green..it isnt, but its not evil incarnate either (well not any more so than petrol)
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:49 pm
catcitrus wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:58 pm
Thanks for the link--interesting read and confirms the potential problems with the stuff, especially when some is left in the system for a while.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_fue ... tages.html

Return to “THE PUB”