Post by moto al »

unfortunately the NC 500 is causing problems with the locals
IMG_E3066.JPG
IMG_E3066.JPG (105.67 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
moto al
mark vb

Re: NOT HAPPY WITH NC 500

Post by mark vb »

I think that's fair comment.... there is no place for excessive speeding or loud exhausts on public roads, not just the NC500 but anywhere. Though I would never had said that 20 or even 10 yrs ago!
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

You see loads of organised runs on Facebook for the NC500 they must be inundated with folk by now, glad I did it years ago when it was just called a run round the north of Scotland :D
I was in Falmouth for a few days this week there was a guy going round n round town on a really noisy small bike by his 10th pass of our hotel I would’ve gladly knocked him off the bloody thing :D
Those popping crackling exhausts these days are very annoying nowt wrong with a fruity exhaust but out n out noisy is ridiculous.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I think the locals on that route are also a bit P'd off with the motorhomes, campers etc who don't spend much money locally but do leave a fair amount of filth behind.
How I hate it when a route gets 'marketed'.
Going back a few decades, some clown decided the the Ridgeway was a 'Long-Distance Footpath'...and so the walker v motorcyclist conflict there began. And there's only ever one winner once that starts.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Just spent 3 days doing some of the NC500 and seen way more campers/motorhomes than bikes. Like you say atleast the bikers are bringing much needed money into the local economy in terms of accommodation and eating out at cafes and restaurants.
The locals I've spoken to voiced their concerns that it could be a one year boom due to Covid and that The Highland Council needs to reopen the public toilets and rubbish facilities to help encourage people to come back next year.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

mark vb wrote:I think that's fair comment.... there is no place for excessive speeding or loud exhausts on public roads, not just the NC500 but anywhere. Though I would never had said that 20 or even 10 yrs ago!
Can’t grumble about the money folks are spending though

Sounds like nimbyism to me
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:02 pm
mark vb wrote:I think that's fair comment.... there is no place for excessive speeding or loud exhausts on public roads, not just the NC500 but anywhere. Though I would never had said that 20 or even 10 yrs ago!
Can’t grumble about the money folks are spending though

Sounds like nimbyism to me
🤔 Well, I'm all for nimbyism if it concerns twatish, antisocial behaviour in one's own backyard. Spending money certainly doesn't excuse it.... imo.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Heading up to Scotland with Mrs Spike in the motorhome end of the month, but steering clear of the NC500 due to the recent publicity. Ridden and driven it a few times in the past, so been there, done it. Shame though. Always use proper camp sites, local shops, pubs & fuel stations. As with a lot of things, always a few ruin it for the rest of us.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Spike941 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:08 pm Heading up to Scotland with Mrs Spike in the motorhome end of the month, but steering clear of the NC500 due to the recent publicity. Ridden and driven it a few times in the past, so been there, done it. Shame though. Always use proper camp sites, local shops, pubs & fuel stations. As with a lot of things, always a few ruin it for the rest of us.
It's our first time on the NC500 and it is not too busy on a bike, on the main roads you can overtake no problem and on the single track stuff the bigger motorhomes pull over to let traffic overtake them, all very civilized.
At the more touristy spots it was tight for MoHo's to park but no problems on a bike and the only 'wild campers' were van conversions parking near beaches despite there being "no overnight camping or parking" signs (which must pee off the locals). BUT the number of people is nothing compared to the Lake District 2 weeks ago and I can only imagine it'll start to reduce from now on, it certainly wouldn't stop me coming up in a van.
Regarding bikes the only noisy exhaust I heard was in the middle of nowhere and when the rider stopped for a chat he turned out to be a 'local' :roll: .
Sounds like a 'slow news day' at the local newspaper office ;) .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

I think the NC500 is the best thing to happen to the Scottish tourist industry
It’s been a great success
I am going up next weekend
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “THE PUB”