are bikes getting too big?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Billy Bananahead

Re: are bikes getting too big?

Post by Billy Bananahead »

mark vb wrote: ↑Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:41 pm
πŸ‘XJROC AGM.... the last I went to was in 2005 at Squires Cafe. I'm glad the club is still going (strong??), I had some great times and made some great friendships. Maybe I should rejoin, having been only a 'registered user' for a long while πŸ™‚

Was it at Baskerville Hall, a mile or two from Hay?
Yep, still going strong mate. Rejoin mate, no need for a XJR but you know it makes sense 8-) . Yes it was at Baskerville Hall.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Billy Bananahead wrote: ↑Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:53 pm Yep, still going strong mate. Rejoin mate, no need for a XJR but you know it makes sense 8-) . Yes it was at Baskerville Hall.
Still have my 1999 1300SP.... could never part with it, holds too many good memories πŸ™‚
Billy Bananahead

mark vb wrote: ↑Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:01 pm
Billy Bananahead wrote: ↑Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:53 pm Yep, still going strong mate. Rejoin mate, no need for a XJR but you know it makes sense 8-) . Yes it was at Baskerville Hall.
Still have my 1999 1300SP.... could never part with it, holds too many good memories πŸ™‚
You should have dug it out and come along mate. You can't beat the XJR as a bloody good all rounder, if not the best all rounder.
I rode back with Lampy, do you remember him?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I think it's really down to the kind of bike - and the style of riding. I have no issue with an XJR1300 or a ZRX1200 or a GSX1400 type muscle bike. They are supposed to be big heavy bruisers with big old school engines - that's the style and image of those bikes. They are also very comfortable, torquey and pleasant to ride - and although you can make them shuffle a bit you know perfectly well where the limits will lie.

But something sporty or something off-roady should be aiming to be as light and nimble as possible, IMO. Which is where the trend for larger, heavier bikes is a mistake. Importantly it also excludes many women and smaller-built men from buying them, which is a shame.

Personally I would never buy any bike that I could not manage to pick up after an off.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Billy Bananahead wrote: ↑Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:08 pm I rode back with Lampy, do you remember him?
Yeah, I remember Lampy well. Or Wally as he was briefly known, after riding into a stone wall some time after his altercation with the lamp post. A thoroughly nice guy.
I sometimes wonder who else is still around from the 'old' days.... Givitsum, Caulky, Big D, Old Fart, Borg, Captain Caveman, Sharky, Iceman... I think Nick Loftus is still around, another nice guy. Bic (one time chairman) left long ago but still has his XJR. Happy days πŸ™‚
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I don't think my DR200 has got any bigger at all...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Yes. Too big, too powerful, too reliable, too well handling, too economical to run. :lol:
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Onenoodles

Post by Onenoodles »

mark vb wrote: ↑Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:56 pm
Billy Bananahead wrote: ↑Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:08 pm I rode back with Lampy, do you remember him?
Yeah, I remember Lampy well. Or Wally as he was briefly known, after riding into a stone wall some time after his altercation with the lamp post. A thoroughly nice guy.
I sometimes wonder who else is still around from the 'old' days.... Givitsum, Caulky, Big D, Old Fart, Borg, Captain Caveman, Sharky, Iceman... I think Nick Loftus is still around, another nice guy. Bic (one time chairman) left long ago but still has his XJR. Happy days πŸ™‚
I remember some of those lads, I was in the club for 3 or 4 years when I lived t'up North ... I did loads of ride outs back then inc Elan Valley, loads of trips to Skipton or the Cafe at Whitchurch. I think Givit bought an XT660z when they came out and went off travelling? Dave from Cheshire was making a lovely streetfightered XJR, you remember Steve from Cheshire who sadly passed away far too early? I was good mates with Gary who had an umarked, polished to a high standard ... great lad Gary and lost touch when my life to a couple of twists and turns but I often think of him.
There were some really good lads and lasses and it was a great club ... I even bought another a couple of years back but for some reason it felt small now and just not the same!
Great memories.
Billy Bananahead

I think you might mean Dave Farnley from Wirral and Steve was called Ste if i'm correct. Yes i met Gary a few times but not seen him for years. I think some of them went off with Ratty to his club when he got chucked out.
Get another, you know it makes sense. 8-)
Just got back from the MCN show at Peterborough where XJROC had a stand and i'm taking over as the club Shows and Events organiser. Oh fuck :? :|
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Onenoodles wrote: ↑Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:37 pm you remember Steve from Cheshire who sadly passed away far too early?
Yeah, I remember Steve (or Ste as has was known) very well. When he knew I was after a scale model of the XJR he posted his spare one to me and refused any payment. I never got to see him again to buy him a drink. What a great, generous guy.
I'm guessing you are 'Noodles' from the XJROC πŸ˜„?

Return to β€œTHE PUB”