Global Warming?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: Global Warming?

Post by garyboy »

Brenhden wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 pm
garyboy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:30 pm
Never trust an 'expert' .. they is sanctimonious twats.
If you want to have a serious discussion I would respectfully recommend avoiding comments like this as they undermine any informed content and cause conflict.

There is plenty of evidence of this on the Covid/Brexit threads.

Cheers

Bren

I say this from personal experiences, where there has been a serious medical issue, resulting in deaths, neglect, and abuse.

Also, the scientific community .. you know ... real scientists, recently (a few years ago) put out a statement condemning sound bites from so-called `experts` as they were undermining serious debate issued by real scientists.

just look at the recent covid shite .. spouted by so called experts, all dressed up goatee bears, bow ties and clear rimmed glasses .. which often turned out to be untrue or misleading , but with some exceptions. These people are often rolled onto the screen purely for scare mongering purposes and propaganda.

But, brenhden it is good to see that indeed you are an expert, knowing by default, what is the history and personal circumstances behind a personal opinion, even if expressed colloquially.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Seminole wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:01 am I think the major difference between man made and naturally occurring changes is in the rate of change.

Where did you get that 100 mile reduction in the Earth's atmosphere from?. I can only agree with Dave's advice to look for source information instead of fakebook or wherever it is you're finding this rubbish
sorry to see that you consider my sources as rubbish ... I have looked at, listened to, digested etc many bits of information over many decades, especially regarding weather and climate ( I live in Wales lol ) and also look at weather reports several times daily (otherwise i would never have a dry days bike riding). I remember when the `jet stream` first came into public use and awareness; when `global warming` was introduced to the sleeping innocent public, when it was downgraded to `climate change`; when they uprated the weather diagram colours to look like red burning globes lol.

I had been noticing, over recent years, that the sun was getting hotter, more UV, more skin burning, more skin cancer, more deaths etc, more heat stroke of elderly folk like me lol. ... I often looked out the window on a hot blazing day and thought `god, that is much hotter and burnier than i ever remember, even in the south of France.... so, was it just me getting older and grumpier and weaker .. or was there a scientific reason behind it? ....

I had a very strong feeling that the air was getting thinner .. ie .. that the atmosphere was getting smaller in depth ... the sky even looked different to when i was a kid .. it just looked thinner.

then one day, on tv... BBC I think, came the breakthrough in my immense knowledge and oversight of all things global lol .. they announced that scientists have recently discovered that earths atmosphere was less/lower than originally thought ... 140 miles in height, as opposed to 240 miles in the early years of the 20th century !!!

so .. people could not measure simple distances and concentrations of air, in those days .... nah .. rubbish .... the atmoshere itself had shrunk, just as like wot i thought.

I waited, glued to the tv and other outlets for further info in the earth shattering announcement ... but no more came .... probably would frighten the population?

so .. obviously, we need more air in our atmosphere .. ie, more carbon dioxide, more oxygen, more volcanic eruptions, and more cars and especially motorbikes lol. :lol:

seminole .. I agree with your conclusion that man made changes have increased the earth's temperature ... but I think it is more from chemicals like cfc's which split atoms of ozone and self perpetuate in increasing destruction. This lets in the cosmic rays and UVs which further cause the ecosystems to deteriorate and cause further harm to the biological mechanism that is the planet earth.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

garyboy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:16 pm
Brenhden wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:41 pm
garyboy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:30 pm
Never trust an 'expert' .. they is sanctimonious twats.
If you want to have a serious discussion I would respectfully recommend avoiding comments like this as they undermine any informed content and cause conflict.

There is plenty of evidence of this on the Covid/Brexit threads.

Cheers

Bren

I say this from personal experiences, where there has been a serious medical issue, resulting in deaths, neglect, and abuse.

Also, the scientific community .. you know ... real scientists, recently (a few years ago) put out a statement condemning sound bites from so-called `experts` as they were undermining serious debate issued by real scientists.

just look at the recent covid shite .. spouted by so called experts, all dressed up goatee bears, bow ties and clear rimmed glasses .. which often turned out to be untrue or misleading , but with some exceptions. These people are often rolled onto the screen purely for scare mongering purposes and propaganda.

But, brenhden it is good to see that indeed you are an expert, knowing by default, what is the history and personal circumstances behind a personal opinion, even if expressed colloquially.
OK, I've taken the time to read all your posts on this thread. No one on a forum can guess other peoples history or personal circumstances, and can only take what is written objectively and on face value. Never mind.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks for replying, Brenhden, as well as taking the time to read my stuff, which i sincerely believe in btw.

I took many weeks to perk up the courage to start this thread, as i knew there would be a great deal of personal abuse and discreditation: but hoped that we could all discuss these items in a sensible manner.

last week on tv, there was a program about how Venus and Mars were basically destroyed, in terms of supporting life (as we know it, Jim). It was runaway global warming wot dun it. I must admit i was terrified .. what if all these renowned scientists were right? .. about our planet.

then i calmed down and evaluated the historic context of climate .. the ice ages .. the extinction events .. the metiorite hits .. the volcanic eruptions etc etc etc .. and thought i would like to investigate people's opinions on here ... the results were, generally, predictable .. apart from one or two free thinkers. Perhaps it is down to the regular posters in here? and other views are kept silent?
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:35 pm
Then there's the greenwashing. Here in the UK we are importing felled temperate rain forest from North America...trucked across the States, shipped over the Atlantic in oil-burning bulk-carriers, and transported by diesel train from the Lincolnshire coast to the Drax power station where it is burned as 'renewable fuel'. The joke is that even if we ignore the carbon footprint of the transport operations (and we do), we still produce more CO2 per kW of electricity burning this than we would if we burned the local coal that is all around Drax.
Surely the reason for this is that as 'renewable' an equal amount of trees felled are allowed to regrow hence capturing the carbon emitted by the burn.

True enough about shipping though.

As an aside about fossil fuels, if we stop using our coal, gas and oil there is a real win. One day in the future if we really need then they will still be there. Like a dirty nest egg.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

garyboy wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:48 pm thanks for replying, Brenhden, as well as taking the time to read my stuff, which i sincerely believe in btw.

I took many weeks to perk up the courage to start this thread, as i knew there would be a great deal of personal abuse and discreditation: but hoped that we could all discuss these items in a sensible manner.

last week on tv, there was a program about how Venus and Mars were basically destroyed, in terms of supporting life (as we know it, Jim). It was runaway global warming wot dun it. I must admit i was terrified .. what if all these renowned scientists were right? .. about our planet.

then i calmed down and evaluated the historic context of climate .. the ice ages .. the extinction events .. the metiorite hits .. the volcanic eruptions etc etc etc .. and thought i would like to investigate people's opinions on here ... the results were, generally, predictable .. apart from one or two free thinkers. Perhaps it is down to the regular posters in here? and other views are kept silent?
That's fair, previous ice ages were extremely gradual taking thousands of years, end to end the last was about 100,000 years, they concern here is that it will only take 100 to go the other way. There is a cool 'In Our Time' about Doggerland where they cover it a bit.

We can't do much about volcanos/meteors. It reminds me of something I saw about a team of vets saving a seal, on the day of launch it swam out and was immediately eaten by a killer whale. But it's better to light a candle than to curse the dark was I guess.

Alas being down on experts only ever reminds me of this.
"I think the people of this country have had enough of experts" - Micheal Gove. He has to be one of the least trustworthy people I've ever heard of.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

then one day, on tv... BBC I think, came the breakthrough in my immense knowledge and oversight of all things global lol .. they announced that scientists have recently discovered that earths atmosphere was less/lower than originally thought ... 140 miles in height, as opposed to 240 miles in the early years of the 20th century !!!
Even in your own words that reads as a re-defining through new information, yet as previously you go on to present it as an actual physical decrease

Don't worry though post it on facebook and no doubt in a month or 2 thousands of people will think the atmosphere has shrunk by a 100 miles in their lifetimes
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/58148881
This makes interesting reading and shows some of the complexities of measuring pollution and combatting climate change.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Brenhden wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:53 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:35 pm
Then there's the greenwashing. Here in the UK we are importing felled temperate rain forest from North America...trucked across the States, shipped over the Atlantic in oil-burning bulk-carriers, and transported by diesel train from the Lincolnshire coast to the Drax power station where it is burned as 'renewable fuel'. The joke is that even if we ignore the carbon footprint of the transport operations (and we do), we still produce more CO2 per kW of electricity burning this than we would if we burned the local coal that is all around Drax.
Surely the reason for this is that as 'renewable' an equal amount of trees felled are allowed to regrow hence capturing the carbon emitted by the burn.

True enough about shipping though.

As an aside about fossil fuels, if we stop using our coal, gas and oil there is a real win. One day in the future if we really need then they will still be there. Like a dirty nest egg.

But it would be even better to leave the forest standing on the west coast of the USA where it will absorb carbon-dioxide undisturbed.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Seminole wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:19 am
Even in your own words that reads as a re-defining through new information, yet as previously you go on to present it as an actual physical decrease

Don't worry though post it on facebook and no doubt in a month or 2 thousands of people will think the atmosphere has shrunk by a 100 miles in their lifetimes
I believe the atmosphere has shrunk significantly in recent decades, and is the main contributor to recent extreme events, as there is less air mass to work as a buffer to smaller cumulative changes on and in the planet. I can't prove this of course, but it is my belief, and i understand not only the scepticism, but also the unwelcome effect of yet another doomsday scenario. Perhaps I should have said nothing; perhaps that is why the BBC report was smothered? I hope I am wrong.

Scientists of the 20th century was not stupid; look at the invention of aeroplane grade aluminium, the atomic bomb, plastics, etc .. they even had atmosphere balloons (many of which seem to have come from area 51 lol) and weather research: were their instruments too crude to measure air molecules at higher places? .. scientists even got to the moon in 1969? ... and they didn't notice the limits of our own planets atmosphere?

Return to “THE PUB”