Global Warming?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Global Warming?

Post by garyboy »

it seems so obvious and evident, that global warming is present, here and now, after all the warnings and not paying attention, suddenly it is here... now ... it is man made and all our fault, especially the ordinary person who has always followed good protocol and government advice and alway6s been a good parent and model citizen ... it is so obvious isn;t it? ... the evidence is right in front of us, in person, on the TV.

but who,like me, think it is all `merely` weather change .. a blip in the earth's climate, that may proceed further, or may not?

have we all taken into account ..
* historical climate changes over the millennia
* ice ages, heatings, high oxygen, low oxygen, high carbon dioxide, low carbon dioxide, asteroid hits, mass lava flows, extinctions, famines, plagues, etc, industrial revolutions, etc etc
* tilt in the earth's axis
* slight alterations in the earth's orbit
* increased wobble of the planet
* slight distancing of the moon
* solar mass ejection variations
* sunspot lessening of activity over the next regular 11 year cycle
* increase in cosmic radiation
* alterations and weakening of the earth's magnetic field
* decrease in the ozone layer
* decrease in the height of the atmosphere from 240 miles to 140 miles
* volcano eruptions, small and large
* tectonic plate movements
* changes in the earth's core and magma movements etc
* magma hot spots
* impending volcanic eruptions and asteroid hits

don't tell me i am a conspiracy theorist gone awol ... i already know lol
just .. have you thought how insignificant human burps are compared to such galactic forces?
and that we sometimes overestimate our ability to control such vast and unknown forces??

no incoming flack needed .. just opinions svp
daveuprite

Re: Global Warming?

Post by daveuprite »

"Have we taken into account... blah, blah, blah, blah... ???"

Err, YES, Gary. Climatologists (and many other disciplines) spend their lives researching, studying, sampling and modelling. They know what they're doing. Yes, they have successfully accounted for the factors you list and the rate of greenhouse gas increase and consequent global warming we are seeing can not be explained without anthropogenic (human-induced) additional forcing.

The items you list lead me to think that you are getting at least some of your information from climate-change denial sources, or at least getting it second/third-hand via those kind of sources. Things like solar variation and magnetic field have been deliberately cited by the oil industry and their lobbyists for decades in order to cast doubt on and confuse the whole issue, to protect their own very valuable interests. Be careful not to be sucked in. Read the primary literature, not opinion and conjecture. The subjects you list are interesting and important in their own right (I've been reading myself a fair bit on the polarity flip that we can expect to happen fairly soon), but do not think that they are excluded or neglected by expert climate change modelers. The sad thing is that when even the most extreme scenarios of 'external' influences are factored in, the temperature increases that result just from human activity keep on cropping up. All the denialism and 'it's not us' and 'it's not so bad' thinking does is delay the action that we need to to take to tackle it.

Ending on a couple of important philosophical points...

Carl Sagan once said "I don't want to believe things, I want to know them". It's a good way of thinking.

Be careful to distinguish between facts and opinions. You can't have an opinion about a fact. It's been the fossil fuel industry's massive success to confuse the two in many people's minds and to negate / downgrade the knowledge that is out there and established beyond doubt.

The real debate is HOW as a species we go about reducing greenhouse gases. Now that's a subject for opinion, discussion and argument - and hopefully a lot more action than we are witnessing now. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of time on our side to have that debate at leisure - we squandered that time 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago.
Last edited by daveuprite on Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I think the major difference between man made and naturally occurring changes is in the rate of change.

Where did you get that 100 mile reduction in the Earth's atmosphere from?. I can only agree with Dave's advice to look for source information instead of fakebook or wherever it is you're finding this rubbish
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

To be honest, it sort of doesn’t matter if it is man made or not the thing is real. Despite the dire warnings for decades mankind has largely done nothing. Now that the impact is starting to have real economic impact on the richer industrial nations we are finally doing something, albeit probably too little, too late. We are also often going along knee jerk reaction lines or possibly those that allow existing large corporations to continue to make vast profits, eg the push for electric cars without considering the impact of mining for lithium and the cost of infrastructure to support them. We need a massive radical rethink and a change in our economic system and for many way of life if we are to turn things around. Personally I can’t see the point in being rich on a dead planet, but obviously a lot of billionaires can.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Well as a reformed teen eco warrior, trained scientist, and now engineer I think Daveuprite is absolutely right.

The rate of change is the real concern. Everything we do needs to be based on evidence, to make the right decision we need unbiased facts.

The Ozone layer is a good case study. The world worked together and in some important ways the problem is in remission.

There are pros and cons to every policy that's put forward to solve the problem and we need governments of the world to make well informed decisions.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Trevor Twobikes

Post by Trevor Twobikes »

What do you think is fuelling this. In 1950 (the year that I was born - yes I'm an old git) the world's human population was about 2.5bn. It is now approaching 8bn. It's not going to take another seventy years to double that. What will these extra mouths be eating. Will nations be fighting over water. Here we are poisoning the soil, polluting the air, raping the seas and gobbling up the world's resources without any thought about tomorrow.
Population growth needs to be taken under control - but that's not a vote winner.
I note that the Chinese government are now allowing families to have three children - world domination by numbers!

Trevor
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Luckily for us the increase in CO2 will make crops grow faster, and the increased rainfall experienced in Africa is greening the continent. The southern fringe of the Sahara desert is in retreat.
Back in the Jurassic, global temperatures and atmospheric CO2 were far higher than they are now, and the Earth was full of wonderful life.
At the end of the Jurassic, CO2 went even higher, but the earth cooled: an inconvenient truth if ever there was one.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Oh dear. That's why I dread these threads. PLEASE Richard do some reading from peer-reviewed authentic scientific journals, or at least digests based on them. Don't do the fossil fuel industry's bidding for them. They just love engineering half-myths and propaganda like that, and correct me if I'm wrong but I guess they're not even paying you to do their work for them...

In the hope that you are actually interested in truth rather than myth, maybe start with this:

https://www.aap.com.au/jurassic-era-co2 ... dinosaurs/

and then read some of the source material if you are genuinely interested. I just don't have the time to come on here and refute every piece of nonsense spouted by climate change deniers - it takes too long and rarely results in any kind of revision in the mind of the protaganist.
Last edited by daveuprite on Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

On the subject of which...I've just had an email from Mountain Warehouse inviting me to 'beat the Summer chill' and buy a Polar fleece!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for the replies; some interesting facts; especially Richards info on CO2 historically. I will try to reply, when the weather gets even worse, today or tomorrow, lol, so I don't miss out on fine biking weather.

But, in the meantime; consider climate change projections in the last year or so: 'experts' were showing a frighteningly high prediction of temperature rise. I thought .. 'ang on, they 'avent taken into account the cooling effect of global winds ... and, yes .. a few weeks later it was announced that very thing .. so that makes their predictions OK?

Never trust an 'expert' .. they is sanctimonious twats.

Return to “THE PUB”