Size is everything

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
lancashirelad

Re: Size is everything

Post by lancashirelad »

Most 4x4 drivers are “Willy waggling” as in mines bigger than yours, the sooner the 4x4/SUV falls out of favour like the people carrier did years ago the better, most of em can’t get within a metre of the near side wall up here in the narrow lanes!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The only positive thing about big 4x4s is that they don't fit down some lanes. However, their drivers are typically bullies and will force you into a ditch without much thought. Its also driver ability which seems to have gone south--maybe more "non Locals" .We were doing that very narrow road from the valley of the rocks westward the other weekend(west of Porlock). We were on bikes--its really single lane with typical Devon stone sided lanes and with very few passing places. We came to a VW estate coming the other way and I'm not about to throw my Alp into the bank to create room, and we were facing downhill. If it were a small trailie then yes. It took the lady driver about 10 attempts at reversing a few yards to a wider bit to let us get by. Quite embarrassing to watch, and a bloke in the passenger seat. Goodness knows what would happen if she met a similar skilled driver coming in the opposite direction.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:22 pm But given that you have to spend over 100k to get anything with performance close to even a cheap superbike, cars don't really float my boat.
Not quite - a decently fast Caterham 7 will be a fraction of that cost, albeit still bad value compared to a cheap superbike, but on balance the Caterham will out-handle the bike around the bends, in the right hands of course.

I often wish I hadn't got rid of the old Peugeot 106 diesel I inherited from my father who bought it new in '93.... totally uncool but totally simple. We swapped it for a week's labour from a decorator who was painting our house, which seemed like a good deal at the time.
I have to own up to having a 4x4 as we live rurally, in a field. But, it's a relatively small size Dacia (Renault), which I make no apologies for! Ideally, I'd like to have a Lada Niva, which can be bought new from a bloke in Blackheath as individual imports - the base model being a paltry £11k plus vat.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

mark vb wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:08 am
daveuprite wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:22 pm But given that you have to spend over 100k to get anything with performance close to even a cheap superbike, cars don't really float my boat.
Not quite - a decently fast Caterham 7 will be a fraction of that cost, albeit still bad value compared to a cheap superbike, but on balance the Caterham will out-handle the bike around the bends, in the right hands of course.

I often wish I hadn't got rid of the old Peugeot 106 diesel I inherited from my father who bought it new in '93.... totally uncool but totally simple. We swapped it for a week's labour from a decorator who was painting our house, which seemed like a good deal at the time.
I have to own up to having a 4x4 as we live rurally, in a field. But, it's a relatively small size Dacia (Renault), which I make no apologies for! Ideally, I'd quite like to have a Lada Niva, which can be bought new from a bloke in Blackheath as individual imports - the base model being a paltry £11k plus vat.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

mark vb wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:18 am

I have to own up to having a 4x4 as we live rurally, in a field. But, it's a relatively small size Dacia (Renault), which I make no apologies for! But, ideally, I'd quite like to have a Lada Niva, which can be bought new from a bloke in Blackheath as individual imports - the base model being a paltry £11k plus vat.
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

Caterhams are very nice, but they still get stuck in traffic. I overtook one once on my C90 cause he was stuck at the lights 😂
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Oh yeah, this is the campervan I'd like to get hold of, Lada Niva- based. It even has a shower and bog.
Attachments
simple-yet-amazing-lada-niva-motorhome-will-remain-a-forbidden-russian-fruit-164990_1.jpg
simple-yet-amazing-lada-niva-motorhome-will-remain-a-forbidden-russian-fruit-164990_1.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 792 times
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

how did my post duplicate itself :? Without me doing anything :?
Last edited by mark vb on Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I have to own up to having a 4x4 as we live rurally, in a field. But, it's a relatively small size Dacia (Renault), which I make no apologies for! Ideally, I'd like to have a Lada Niva, which can be bought new from a bloke in Blackheath as individual imports - the base model being a paltry £11k plus vat.
Yeah, you're quite right about the Caterham / Westfield - type cars. They are proper fast and handle superbly. But something of an exception to the general rule I think you'd agree. Very small volume too. I love 'em though. About the closest feeling you can get to a superbike on 4 wheels on the road.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Godspeed wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:21 am Caterhams are very nice, but they still get stuck in traffic. I overtook one once on my C90 cause he was stuck at the lights 😂
Very true, but you won't get wet whilst waiting at the lights.... if it's raining, of course. And if you happen to have the roof on - which is probably a very rare thing!

Return to “THE PUB”