Goodbye Snorkel

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Goodbye Snorkel

Post by daveuprite »

I very much doubt that any members on here ever knew Ron, AKA 'Snorkel - but that's not going to prevent me from making a short tribute to a really good guy. He lived in France for many years but returned to the UK a while back and just died of cancer yesterday.

Ron was a good friend of several of us out here in France. A proper old school biker, who kept on riding into his old age, regardless of many illnesses and a significant disability that would have halted most people's motorcycling.

He was a paramedic/ambulance driver, then retired to France with his wife, but carried on riding, touring, meeting up with other bikers, chewing the fat and taking part in all the banter - in restaurants, bars, camp-sites and at race-tracks.

He had throat surgery in his 50s (?) that left him with a hole in his neck for breathing and a voice-box device for talking. He was determined to keep riding and he used neckerchiefs and jacket collars to allow him to breathe as he rode. Eventually he even developed a special tube that led from his throat-hole up behind his helmet, that enabled him to breathe properly while out on the bike. He enjoyed his 'Snorkel' moniker and was happy to make fun of himself. I had some top chats with him and he summed up what it was to be a dedicated biker despite his circumstances.

A truly good man, who I shall miss.

lancashirelad

Re: Goodbye Snorkel

Post by lancashirelad »

RIP he sounded like a proper old style character.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

He was , proper Gent , had a go at most things even went as far a buying a XL 125 to come off roading with us , lived life fully. Thanks for posting Dave.

Nite nite Ron
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Here you go Phil:

dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Never knew him, but anyone who can laugh at themselves when given a nickname by their mates is alright in my book!!! RIP snorkel.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Sounds like a good'un, cheers Snorkel
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Never actually met snorkel but certainly heard about him. What a shame. RiP
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

found neutral at last .. remembered well by his freinds ....nice

braaaaaaap
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

"I'm not afraid of dieing but I do fear leaving it too late to live life to the full".
RIP Snorkel, thanks for showing us the way.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Didn't know the bloke, but he sounds like one of those larger-than-life people who leave a hell of a gap when they go..
On the subject of which, when I was in hospital having my pacemaker put in, the guy in the next bed was an ex WWII submariner/ship engineer who was absolutely brilliant company and became an instant friend.
I never got to see him again because of Covid, and he's now died of cancer.

Return to “THE PUB”