THERE ARE SOME SOME CRACY THINGS YOU COME ACROSS WHEN TRAVELLING . :D :D :D :D
IMG_E1832.JPG
IMG_E1832.JPG (76.26 KiB) Viewed 1840 times
.pic taken in italy
moto al
Elmer J Fudd

Re: STRANGE THINGS YOU COME ACROSS.

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Absolutely shocking; the idiot who placed the wall light on the 1st floor LHS should have been sacked for spoiling the symmetry. Every other one neatly positioned too.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

That really is freaky weird. Clearly someone called Adolf who loves turning ancient sanskrit symbols into architecture. Just shows how culture can be appropriated.

Talking of strange things you come across on your travels:

I was backpacking in Zaire when I stayed a night in a small village called Kommanda in the Congo rainforest. I was looking forward to the chance to visit the Okapi reserve area the next day. As a typical central african forest village, the place was pitch black at night with just oil lamps here and there to light up huts. 90 degrees F and 90% humidity. Insects everywhere. One petrol generator powered a fridge with beers in it - the local bar. The guy serving the Primus beer told me about his collection of VHS tapes and his large television, which acts as the only 'cinema' for miles around. He had typed a list of the films available for me to watch. There were many I didn't know and some hollywood blockbusters like Rocky. But I couldn't quite believe it when I saw near the bottom of the list 'Carry On Up the Khyber'. Naturally I asked for a screening, he summoned up some other villagers for the event, and about 10 of us sat there on old logs watching Kenneth Williams and Bernard Breslaw pretending to be Indians, attacked by british soldiers in kilts, while sweating in the heat of an central African evening. Wonderfully bizarre.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Whilst traveling in Turkey many years ago hot invited to a festival in one of the villages.
It was one of those where a lot of villages came together
Lots of drinking and Turkish belly dance and even huge hairy men wrestling with olive oil.
Walking around got speaking to a very well dressed well spoken man. Turns out he came from the region and had done very well for himself. The festival was all paid for by him.
He took me to one tent to show me the real reason for the festivities.
All the young boys from the region who had not been circumsized were having their foreskins removed by the local priest/doctor with a sharp scalpel.
The youngsters were handed to a matron who swaddled the wound. The older boys were given the bandages and told what to do by themselves.

All the very were screaming even the older lads were crying.

There was lots of laughter and merriment in the tent so the tears and screams soon died down.

I did find it fascinating but rather macabre watching this.

I beat a hasty retreat when the matron holding up a bloody foreskin asked me if I had been circumsized and they would take "special care" of me .
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

zimtim wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:46 pm Whilst traveling in Turkey many years ago hot invited to a festival in one of the villages.
It was one of those where a lot of villages came together
Lots of drinking and Turkish belly dance and even huge hairy men wrestling with olive oil.
Walking around got speaking to a very well dressed well spoken man. Turns out he came from the region and had done very well for himself. The festival was all paid for by him.
He took me to one tent to show me the real reason for the festivities.
All the young boys from the region who had not been circumsized were having their foreskins removed by the local priest/doctor with a sharp scalpel.
The youngsters were handed to a matron who swaddled the wound. The older boys were given the bandages and told what to do by themselves.

All the very were screaming even the older lads were crying.

There was lots of laughter and merriment in the tent so the tears and screams soon died down.

I did find it fascinating but rather macabre watching this.

I beat a hasty retreat when the matron holding up a bloody foreskin asked me if I had been circumsized and they would take "special care" of me .
I'm typing this with crossed legs.....

What is it about humans as a species that we mutilate our own children, be it Circumcision, FGM or some of the tribal stuff like elongating necks, branding or most bizarrely stretching lips and knocking teeth out to put a plate in?

I can accept (if not fully understand) people doing these things to themselves as consenting adults, but to those unable to understand, or give consent, is barbaric, tradition or not
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brilliant. I love crazy travel stories. If you keep travelling I reckon you will eventually witness almost everything.
moto al

Post by moto al »

at the FIM RALLYE NOTHERN NORWAY :D :D :D
IMG_E1845.JPG
IMG_E1845.JPG (70.02 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
moto al
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Another quick story. Lagos, Nigeria 24th December 1989.

I was backpacking through one of the most dangerous cities in Africa. Banks had kalashnikov-wielding guards outside. You hear occasional gunshots at night. It's hot, oppressive and packed with people. I was travelling with a couple of guys from Bradford at the time, who were going roughly the same way as me. It was Christmas eve and we were determined to have some kind of Xmas day if possible. So we booked into a totally empty medium price hotel in the hope that they could help us out with Xmas the next day. No chance. Just the usual manioc and goat meat etc. Nothing wrong with that (it had already become our staple diet), but we wanted something special. So we asked the chef if we could commandeer his kitchen the next day and I went out to the market in search of a large chicken which we plucked and prepped. Sweet potatoes only, but that would do. Some kind of runner bean and I even found some carrots. So we sat, just the three of us, in a large dining room in the sweltering heat eating our christmas dinner, wearing cracker hats we made out of old newspapers. And a little mouse appeared from the corner, scurried across the room and sat near us watching for a minute... :D

Return to “THE PUB”