IMG_E1734.JPG
IMG_E1734.JPG (81.59 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
IMG_E1735.JPG
IMG_E1735.JPG (95.93 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
moto al
daveuprite

Re: very sad

Post by daveuprite »

That's just awful. I do sometimes think about that scenario, especially when riding alone up in the twisties. One mistake and you're over the edge, maybe with no trace on the road that you were ever there. Of course you could list your intended route and leave it with someone, with a 'no report' deadline for them to investigate if you don't return - but seriously, do any of us really do that? Or want to do that?

I think this rare occurrence has to be put down to appallingly bad luck, tragic though it obviously is for his family and friends. I just hope he died quickly and didn't suffer.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:44 pm That's just awful. I do sometimes think about that scenario, especially when riding alone up in the twisties. One mistake and you're over the edge, maybe with no trace on the road that you were ever there. Of course you could list your intended route and leave it with someone, with a 'no report' deadline for them to investigate if you don't return - but seriously, do any of us really do that? Or want to do that?

I think this rare occurrence has to be put down to appallingly bad luck, tragic though it obviously is for his family and friends. I just hope he died quickly and didn't suffer.
That is terribly sad. Me and my other half have the GPS on our phones linked so we can always see each other on the map. It reassures her no end.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
johnnyboxer

very sad

Post by johnnyboxer »

Makes you think about a GPS with an SOS inreach function like the Garmin Montana 701

BMW’s with their SOS function might not seem so daft then
Once the bike goes over the BMW mothership calls your mobile phone, paired to the system
If no response they can call the emergency services with your location as the bike has a live tracker
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

johnnyboxer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:57 pm Makes you think about a GPS with an SOS inreach function like the Garmin Montana 701

Once the bike goes over the BMW mothership calls your mobile phone, paired to the system
If no response they can call the emergency services with your location as the bike has a live tracker
Well it's very technically ingenious and clever that kit like that is available. I'm sure it could save a life, if it hasn't already. But when you look across the many threads on this site, you often see a trend. A rejection of gadgets, of rider aids, of high tech bikes. A lot of us prefer simpler bikes that we just ride and connect with without overloading them with tech.

That trend does not sit well with an uber-connected bike communicating locations to the net.

Personally I can see it both ways...
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:59 pm
johnnyboxer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:57 pm Makes you think about a GPS with an SOS inreach function like the Garmin Montana 701

Well it's very technically ingenious and clever that kit like that is available. I'm sure it could save a life, if it hasn't already. But when you look across the many threads on this site, you often see a trend. A rejection of gadgets, of rider aids, of high tech bikes. A lot of us prefer simpler bikes that we just ride and connect with without overloading them with tech.

That trend does not sit well with an uber-connected bike communicating locations to the net.

Personally I can see it both ways...
I agree

I remember watching a YT video over winter, of a bloke with a new 1250 GSA trying to cross a ford near Hawes in the Dales.
His mate had videoed him, embarking on a crossing, which failed within 20 yards and the bike went down
Within seconds the rider's phone rang and you could hear the audio on the film
Rider answers it
Hello, BMW SOS here - are you ok, we have detected your bike has crashed and do you need help
Much hilarity ensued and the rider, said no, I am fine
BMW SOS terminated the call
Literally it was within seconds of the bike keeling over
These new GS's must have spot trackers and telemetry.................it was very impressive

Garmin's devices are impressive for offroad riders as the technology works via Satellite Comms, where mobile phones don't work
There is a subscription to In-Reach but it can be either month by month (useful for a planned short trip to the Mountains) or annually if you are going RTW
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

It's a reminder that even somewhere as densely populated as the UK, once you leave the road you're unlikely to be noticed (hence wild camping being possible). I would always give a route plan & eta when hiking in the boonies but I've never even considered that riding (possibly because I rarely follow my planned route). Poor soul, I sincerely hope it wasn't long & drawn out :cry:
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

I carry a PLB, but id have to be alive and reasonably functional to set it off.
moto al

Post by moto al »

THATS the thing living in scotland its great unfortunately only ,30 mins form my house i could be riding down a track if i came off i could be found six months later.
moto al
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I'm not a fan of tech, at all. But it has its uses. Couple in the next village were out driving in the middle of nowhere when the old boy had a heart attack. His wife tried 999, but no mobile signal. Then she remembered the car (a merc 4x4) had some kind of sat-phone SOS beacon thing, which she was able to activate, and an ambulance got there just in time.

Return to “THE PUB”