e-scooters make London even more of a hell-hole

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Helicoptermanr22

Re: e-scooters make London even more of a hell-hole

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

The guy that ok d that , his special subject must be the bleeding obvious. Crazy
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Illegal to use other than on private land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

I'd have one tomorrow for when we're in Edinburgh if they were legal, but we're waiting for Scottish legislation to catch up with the rest of the UK so they can go ahead with a trial scheme. Taunton has the trial scheme and I tried one out there last week whilst I had a spare hour, it actually worked pretty good with speed and power controls to prevent you using them where you shouldn't. If they can legislate them in to private ownership, I think it will be a good thing.
I've been looking into the legal side of these for a while now and considered making one pedelec legal or even registering one as a moped but both option made them to heavy for in my opinion for carrying them when required.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

vRSG60 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:34 pm Illegal to use other than on private land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unless operated through an approved trial scheme or registered as a moped/motorcycle.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

there going to have to provide for it as electric is the future i guess

flip side is e bikes are restricted to 16mph ..but id say if you have a driving licence this should be scrapped ..as to what to do about kids on scooters i dunno ..id be all over them like a rash if i were 12 .....and i was nuts when i were younger ...

problem to be solved ..legislation will be on us soon .....
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think the issue is people, not their mode of transport. There are a lot of ignorant, selfish people in this country and that tends, in my experience to be more so in cities, whatever their mode of transport they act like they own the road, or pavement and care little for those who get in their way. E scooters make a lot of sense, particularly in large towns and cities, they seem to work better in other countries. It seems as with other issues, like littering the only way to get English people to behave sensibly is legislation. I suppose when we have a government that seems to condone selfish, breeds behaviour it is what we can expect.
simonw

Post by simonw »

Jak* wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:20 pm I think the issue is people, not their mode of transport. There are a lot of ignorant, selfish people in this country and that tends...
See. There are two kinds of people in this world.... ;-)
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I've got an e-scooter, I use it for work when it's not raining. Cost me less to buy it does than to tax my car for the year and has saved me a load of money in fuel. My commute is only 2 miles and it takes the same amount of time on that than it does to drive and thanks to bus lanes is actually less distance so I'm selling my car and going down to just having the bikes and my van.

Personally I try and stick to the road as long as there isn't a lot of homicidal car drivers about, if I do end up in the pavement I keep the speed down to equivalent of a fast jog and make sure I use the bell on it to warn people I'm there.

They make sense for short journeys like mine. I think the problem doesn't lie with the actual scooters but with nobs riding them, a bit like people speeding, jumping red lights, hot and run drivers, drink drivers and all manner of other things.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

This week whilst driving an hgv around Cambridge I have seen old ladies diving for cover like falling skittles as a yoof on an escooter rode along the path, an escooter weaving around roadcones going through roadworks on the A10 and also drivers deliberately cutting in to the kerb at traffic lights to stop scooters and cyclists getting down the inside. The reality is that, like cyclists, they are here to stay so we all have to be a bit more patient and considerate of others, goodness knows how many people I would have killed this week if I had decided to ram the tw@t that had cut in front of me at the last minute, dam that anticollision braking system ;) .
So it's not a problem with the mode of transport but, as usual, it is a problem with intolerant/ignorant/arrogant people ....... which is a human thing not just a UK thing.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “THE PUB”