e-scooters make London even more of a hell-hole

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Sanqhar

Re: e-scooters make London even more of a hell-hole

Post by Sanqhar »

I thought that only those ridden using an approved hire scheme were legal. Using your own is illegal to use on the road or the pavement.

A hit and run on a three year old was widely reported this week.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/06/boy-3-se ... -14529180/

So the risks are being sued for damages in the case of an accident putting all your assets at risk (including your house), being deemed partly responsible if you are injured in a not your fault accident resulting in a reduced injury payout, prosecution, fine, and lastly points on your licence.

Are these the risks you are prepared to take?

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Sanqhar wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:20 am I thought that only those ridden using an approved hire scheme were legal. Using your own is illegal to use on the road or the pavement.

A hit and run on a three year old was widely reported this week.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/06/boy-3-se ... -14529180/

So the risks are being sued for damages in the case of an accident putting all your assets at risk (including your house), being deemed partly responsible if you are injured in a not your fault accident resulting in a reduced injury payout, prosecution, fine, and lastly points on your licence.

Are these the risks you are prepared to take?

tom
You are right.

I'd say in the scenario of hitting a 3 year old the risk doesn't weigh on being sued but hitting the 3 year old.

If there's people around I slow down to walking pace or just push it, I'm more concerned with not hitting anyone or anything than if the mode of transport is legal or not. There's plenty of news stories out there of people being hit and killed or hurt by pretty much every mode of transport available, that's part of why only pedal assist ebikes are legal now.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

They had the damn things in Singapore. Way too fast and ridden by wannabe Moto GP stars.
There is no place for them on road or pavement but maybe designated cycle paths.
Saw a young teenager on one on Friday out on a narrow country lane - black clothes and black scooter in the shade of a big hedge. Mind you, round here, we also get runners/joggers using the back lanes so the world is full suicide attempts and you would expect the poor vehicle driver/rider that hit them would still be blamed.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Mad Hatter wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:09 pm
You are right.

I'd say in the scenario of hitting a 3 year old the risk doesn't weigh on being sued but hitting the 3 year old.

If there's people around I slow down to walking pace or just push it, I'm more concerned with not hitting anyone or anything than if the mode of transport is legal or not. There's plenty of news stories out there of people being hit and killed or hurt by pretty much every mode of transport available, that's part of why only pedal assist ebikes are legal now.
A normal bicycle is illegal to ride on the pavement let alone an e bike.

Most forms of powered transport used on the road are legal and require insurance.

My wife has been hit by a mobility scooter, luckily without injury and in front of a policeman. Needless to say the driver got an earful from my wife and a talking to from the policeman.

tom
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Sanqhar wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:44 am
Mad Hatter wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:09 pm
You are right.

A normal bicycle is illegal to ride on the pavement let alone an e bike.

Most forms of powered transport used on the road are legal and require insurance.

My wife has been hit by a mobility scooter, luckily without injury and in front of a policeman. Needless to say the driver got an earful from my wife and a talking to from the policeman.

tom
The majority of transport on the road can be legal, that doesn't always mean it is. Hands up everyone with a loud can for a start.

Again you are right in regards pushbikes on the pavement, but some common sense can and should be applied. If there an empty foot path and a busy road I'd cycle on the pavement, a full pavement and an empty road I'd cycle on the road, if both were busy I'd probably think sod it and push my bike. I don't fancy getting hit or hitting anyone else, that's mainly just self preservation.

As with everything else in life it comes down to not being a dick, used responsibly they're a great tool for short journeys and go relatively unnoticed, used like a dick and everyone else is in danger. Seems fairly similar to motorcycle riders, going for a casual ride or riding to work, sticking within the law and being unobtrusive no-one cares, crank it down the country lanes at 120 and your being a complete cock womble who rightly deserves everyone's hatred.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

But if a motorcyclist goes down a country lane at 120, they will probably be the one that comes off worst.
If a bike or scooter gets ridden down a pavement, the poor pedestrian will probably come off worst.

Just because someone invents something, it doesn’t mean it should be used by the general public.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Compared to many here, nice to see such a polite discussion.

tom
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Sanqhar wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm Compared to many here, nice to see such a polite discussion.

tom
Nobody ever manages to get a reasoned point across by being rude, and it fits with my philosophy of not being a dick.
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

DavidS wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:28 pm But if a motorcyclist goes down a country lane at 120, they will probably be the one that comes off worst.
If a bike or scooter gets ridden down a pavement, the poor pedestrian will probably come off worst.

Just because someone invents something, it doesn’t mean it should be used by the general public.
Unless they hit the mythical pedestrian who's having to walk in the road because there isn't a pavement, or a cyclist, or someone on an e-scooter but assumably that would be there fault for existing.

But I agree if there's anyone on the pavement then an e-scooter, push bike, ebike or anything else but a pedestrian shouldn't be in there as well, you don't have an argument from me there, and having thought about it a bit more when riding mine if the road is too busy and there's people in the pavement I won't bother dropping the speed I'll just push it.

Like I said from a "micro mobility" point of view, as in 2 or 3 miles each way they are absolutely fantastic, I used to cycle to work but if I spend 8 hours crouched in a machine fixing it my knees don't cope with cycling home and I'd prefer not to drive because it's so close.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

My right knee is too weak to cycle (or kick start my now sold classic Triumph) so the idea of the electric scooter seems fun but they just don’t mix with pedestrians or traffic. How about scooter racing?
Maybe a bit like drones, sound fun but really just a damn nuisance. ;) :lol:
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “THE PUB”