Buying from Europe

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Tonibe63

Re: Buying from Europe

Post by Tonibe63 »

dave h wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:43 pm shit happens, [folks will try to rob you]

work it out for yourself,[if you need it that bad then pay the robbers twice for vat]

then either buy or don't buy,[don't buy]

market forces will decide[the real value will be exposed]

dave.
Absolutely.
Merchants and taxes have shaped our World and nothing will change in the immediate future, our 'free market economy' has help shape and is now reliant upon it. As individuals we have to decide how much we value things and if we are prepared to pay for it. On the upside it may lead to less consumerism/environmental damage but the downside is the negative economic impact.
Choices choices, we are very fortunate to have them.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Why can’t we go back to airports with a waiting room and a cafe?
They are among the most detestable places in the world nowadays.
A retail experience is not what I am looking for, just to turn up and get on the plane asap.
Let’s hope Elon can develop Star Trek ‘beaming’ with urgency.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Whilst Dave H is right and we are lucky to have the freedom to make choices in what and where we purchase from, the scale of this fiasco goes way beyond that. The impact of this will increase shipping and transport costs for a huge variety of goods, including some foodstuffs. Whilst if your choice is whether and where to buy the latest farkel for your weekend toy, that is a luxury, the reality of having to pay extra to get your transport to work fixed is not. As usual it will be the poorer members of our society who suffer most.
On the bright side there may be an increase in cheap used motorcycles as the cost of running them increases and at least the fish are happier.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The reality is that we, individually and collectively, will adapt to suit the situation we are faced with as life carries on. Businesses and Governments will continue to make profits where ever they can regardless of what is fair or reasonable and there will be some profiteering during the time of transition just as there always has been.
Whenever our personal finances have been challenging we have adapted to suit and on reflection it has been a positive change, there may have been less toys or time or food etc etc but most of the time we just cut out the cr@p.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Just been chatting to a neighbour who’s managing to pick up some good second hand kit for his touring caravan from his UK based company, who are now relocating to the Czech Republic. Virtually being given away, although he is a little concerned about his job. Could be some cheap caravans also coming on to the market soon. All good stuff.
berin

Post by berin »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:If Duty Free sales have gone from the airport, they are absolutely buggered...it was a huge earner for them.

I knew BJ and his hangers-on were thick....I just didn't realise how thick!
They have. Apparently it was unfair on high street shops that lost out Image. I’m sure it would have been different if Grant Shapps mum owned a shop in duty feeImage.

I suspect that’s why Heathrow have introduced a drop off charge and tripled the taxi fee. It would matter, if we were ever to be able to travel freely again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Saw this for the first time on Ebay as I'm looking to buy some things from mainland Europe:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/payi ... intent=tax
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Found a place in Holland that sells touch up pens in original Japanese import bike colours:

10Euros for the paint and 30Euros for delivery.

Thanks I'll pass :(
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:10 pm Found a place in Holland that sells touch up pens
OK if you've got a KTM I suppose... :D

Sadly all of us lot out here in France have almost completely given up on buying goods from the UK. We're sourcing stuff from all over the EU now. It's actually been a useful exercise in searching more widely for parts/accessories. But very bad for british jobs and businesses obviously.

Return to “THE PUB”