Buying from Europe

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
catcitrus

Re: Buying from Europe

Post by catcitrus »

On bike spares I think the best approach is to try your LOCAL dealer--in your case Suzuki?--just ask if the paint code is available in a touch up. I have a Kawasaki Super Sherpa which was never sold or imported officially into the UK. However, my local Kawa dealer will order parts for me as long as I do the research for the correct part number--and for that a site like CMS in Holland works as it carries all the fiches. I come back to getting a Honda 300 rally bashplate recently. My local KTM dealer sells Honda and consequently has official access to the full Honda parts fiches--and they were happy to order the part at list and give me a discount as a long standing customer--no extra charges. One final bit of help--try a local car body shop--take the tank along and get them to colour match in a touch up pot. Halfords used to mix paint but you'll need a paint code I think. I have a local paint supplier to the trade who will get out their colour cards and match the colour to your tank, and then produce a rattle can. A little expensive but you'll always have the paint available.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

daveuprite wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:16 pm
Brenhden wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:10 pm Found a place in Holland that sells touch up pens
OK if you've got a KTM I suppose... :D

Sadly all of us lot out here in France have almost completely given up on buying goods from the UK. We're sourcing stuff from all over the EU now. It's actually been a useful exercise in searching more widely for parts/accessories. But very bad for british jobs and businesses obviously.
As Dave says it's shite trying to buy anything from the uk at the moment, which is total crap for me, it used to be so easy click on ebay etc, jobs a goodun. But, when I have to pay import duty, and uk vat, there's no way I'm getting ripped off with my hard earned. Problem is UK firms have lost the sales, the market has moved, and that must be hurting the smaller firms.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:41 pm
daveuprite wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:16 pm
Brenhden wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:10 pm Found a place in Holland that sells touch up pens
OK if you've got a KTM I suppose... :D

Sadly all of us lot out here in France have almost completely given up on buying goods from the UK. We're sourcing stuff from all over the EU now. It's actually been a useful exercise in searching more widely for parts/accessories. But very bad for british jobs and businesses obviously.
As Dave says it's shite trying to buy anything from the uk at the moment, which is total crap for me, it used to be so easy click on ebay etc, jobs a goodun. But, when I have to pay import duty, and uk vat, there's no way I'm getting ripped off with my hard earned. Problem is UK firms have lost the sales, the market has moved, and that must be hurting the smaller firms.
I've noticed, Steve, that Ebay UK has now come up with a scheme for their UK sellers who want to sell into the EU where the price you see on Ebay now has the postage and any import and other taxes included, so that you know exactly what you are letting yourself in for. It might not help the companies at all, because the price disincentive still exists, but at least you will know what you're letting yourself in for if you do decide to make a purchase.

All too late anyway for the UK businesses that I used to buy from. I've found alternatives within France/EU and they are getting my money now.

Return to “THE PUB”