When was the last time you inspected

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Born2Ride

When was the last time you inspected

Post by Born2Ride »

YOURSELF? but I bet you looked at your bike or thought about the next adventure today.......

With no embarrassment and hopefully a little humor, I post this in the hope that after reading it, if just one of you ladies and gents undertakes a self inspection, notices something different and picks up the phone to your GP it has been worthwhile.

A seemingly normal Saturday tinkering in the garage, enjoying the start of spring I notice a bit of discomfort. Not that unusual when crawling around the garage in overalls as most guys will know - things occasionally get tangled up. :lol:

I mention this to management and make a mental note that if its still uncomfortable by the end of the week I call the GP. Management decides better and makes an appointment, issues instructions for me to attend. Under a fair degree of protest I do as I am told thinking this is a right faff. Never really been one for doctors.

A 47 year old fit and healthy person just going about my normal day, Wednesday 31st March 14:30 I am handed one of those life cards that stops one quicker than a twin disk set of Brembos - most likely cause testicular cancer. I can not actually think of the words to describe that moment clearly but can set out what happens next.

1. WTF - disbelieve
2. Doesn't sound good, better look in to it further.
3. Wholly moly this could be really serious.
4. Most treatable form of cancer - ok not so bad then.
5. Orchidectomy - WTF again.
6. Not happening to me, must be someone else.
7. Stop saying the word cancer and it will go away.
8. Realisation I am now a passenger in the good ship NHS cancer service.
9. How do I explain this to those around me without causing a complete meltdown - can't, so tackle it head on.
10. Meltdown starts.
11. Tests start, surgery awaited.
12. WTF happens next?

I now find myself knowing surgery will occur in the very near future and awaiting the what happens after that part. Potential outcomes range from somewhere between surgery - all fixed, and/or life now shortened by some unknown quantity. Fortunately early indications are this has been found early enough and I am likely to be on the less serious end of the scale.

In the last 8 days I have heard the the following phrases - Stay positive. Sorry to hear that, I am sure it will be fine. Whilst I understand there is little else to be said I have actually come to the conclusion that I would prefer people to say - Wow, I will check myself more regularly.

I am not seeking sympathy comments in response. I know my life will now take a different path for a while. If this tale has hit the right spot simply think to yourself

Wow, I will check myself more regularly.

and click thanks.

Safe riding to you all out there. Oh yes, point 13, sleep becomes disrupted.
Always an adventure, never a disappointment.
Godspeed

Re: When was the last time you inspected

Post by Godspeed »

Wow, I will check myself regularly!
Thanks for posting
πŸ™ for you
Cheers
Chris
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Thanks for posting , a good reminder to us all
πŸ™ I’ll certainly be keeping an eye on things
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Great post.

I'll go and take a shuftie...

All the very best of luck to you.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Thanks for sharing.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Here's a tip. Before conducting said investigation put your hands under running warm water for 5 minutes and then it feels like Hot Lips from MASH is doing the job for you :idea:

TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Born2Ride...

Wishing you the best .. GWS

Gary
phil_h

Post by phil_h »

It is essential we all realise that its actually easy to talk about 'it', as we pretty much all have the same issues.
I was diagnosed with Aggressive Prostate Cancer (score = 9 out of 10) just before covid lockdown, and told all surgery was cancelled on day 2 of it.
I had absolutely no 'classic' symptoms - no need to pee 27 times a day, no difficulty peeing, no 'discomforts'.
I am also a fell-runner - wiry and fit - and very active generally.
If your number's up, you just have to work out how to cope with it and focus on enjoying everything you can ! After all, life is a sexually-transmitted terminal disease.
The bad bits are when you cant get out and do things, and withdraw. Not good. So tell people when you feel like that. Simples.
This forum and others, and the dreaded facebook have allowed me to find out that (surprise!) there are others like me/us out there, and they are living their lives.
And another thing!
If you check yourself and catch something early then its much easier to do something about it that doesnt make the treatment feel worse than the disease!!!
I rode my bike to every one of my 37 sessions of Radiotherapy, and inspired a couple of fellow-sufferers to try it even when the consultants advised against it.
2021 890 Adventure R
1982 R80 G/S with Siebenrock
2020 500 Excf Rally Bike
2020 500 Excf Trail Bike
1957 Velocette 500 Scrambler

Return to β€œTHE PUB”