Laptop tech help please....

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
byewayrider

Laptop tech help please....

Post by byewayrider »

Okay.. I've a 2 year old hp pavilion 15.6 with windows 10...had a 1tb hard drive so I copied the thing over to a Samsung ssd 500gb...went well swapped over restarted laptop....

Ohh fuck...... It loads hp emblm then Windows as before but straight away the little egg timer and wizzybthing spins round like loading something... The windows home screen is always on and off..

So techno folks I've copied stuff between hard drive before but never over to a ssd drive...

It starts in f10 and shows stuff as before... The old 1tb hard drive was a segate...

Any help greatly received... I tried putting old 1tb drive back in but on reboot it says drive empty...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Laptop tech help please....

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

byewayrider wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:18 pm Okay.. I've a 2 year old hp pavilion 15.6 with windows 10...had a 1tb hard drive so I copied the thing over to a Samsung ssd 500gb...went well swapped over restarted laptop....

Ohh fuck...... It loads hp emblm then Windows as before but straight away the little egg timer and wizzybthing spins round like loading something... The windows home screen is always on and off..

So techno folks I've copied stuff between hard drive before but never over to a ssd drive...

It starts in f10 and shows stuff as before... The old 1tb hard drive was a segate...

Any help greatly received... I tried putting old 1tb drive back in but on reboot it says drive empty...
Have you updated the BIOS with the new drive info and set as start-up etc.?

The best way to put in a new drive is to either use cloning software to setup the new drive or to do it as a blank install where you use a USB or similar with start-up info then install windows.

There are some good help descriptions on the Microsoft site.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

You should of done one of two things. Either install windows onto the new drive and then copy your files across using a usb-sata cable, or you should have ghosted your old drive to the new one which requires ghosting software and a usb-sata cable.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

I just connectednthe new drive via USB to the ssd via a supplied cable... Then swapped drives over.... The date is correct on start up....

I'm sure the laptop is searching for something to finish stat up..

Worse ending is replace old drive and install new windows via USB pen.... I've a copy of the docs etc on seperate external hard drive...

So not lost anything important...

I should stick to farming lol...
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

I'm with Alan Holt ... you need the "ghosting" software , then the job's straightforward. Usually (or at least often) the new SSD comes with a link to download a copy of the right software - check any paperwork it came with.
Or try
https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html
(this is kosher, see https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/articles/s ... -switch=GB and other similar software is available)

Return to “THE PUB”