you gotta have a dream,

my quest for this year,

learn to ride an outfit,

dave.
That could be fun, Indiana Jones style?
Elmer J Fudd

Re: Bucket list

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Nigel wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:09 pm Fly fishing for salmon in Scotland, always wanted to do that, haven't the patience to fish but there's something about fly fishing that fascinates me.
There is "something" about it. My dad taught me to fish from around 5 with a wee split cane rod. Summers were spent fishing and winters shooting. How my mother put up with it I don't know, always something dead to dissect and cook, I suppose she came from a farming family, so would be used to it.

I think fishing is way too complicated these days with all the different rods, lines, tapered tippets and shooting lines. A simple setup, knowing what the fish are taking and reading the water are for me the most important things. When you are engrossed in that, time goes very quickly and patience doesn't really come into it.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Perhaps you could start a separate fishing thread (line). It was not something I have ever been particularly interested in, although I used to literally throw a line over our shoulder and catch fish as tall as I was on our way out to the islands in Belize. We would then chop them up and BBQ them. My son got into fishing a couple of years ago and I have been a few times with him. Hopefully this year we will do some on the Scottish lochs in the summer. We have a family holiday which should involve my eldest son and I riding the bikes up, some canoeing and wild camping on the lochs and a week with extended family in a large house by a loch. So that may fill a few buckets.
I do fancy riding an Enfield in India, I have a friend with a place out there so maybe when all this Covid stuff has calmed down. Having ridden some older bikes (from 1912- 1936) on a vintage training day a few years ago I would love to own one or at least do a long trip on one. With current finances I may have to settle for some trips around the UK on my Norton when I finish it.
If you want to learn ride an outfit Dave you are welcome to have a go on mine. Otherwise I would advise looking on the Federation of sidecar clubs website and finding your local club, or going to a rally if they are on. Ideally start off in a large field or car park, make sure the outfit is well set up, large outfits are often easier to ride than smaller lighter ones, watch out for left handlers. Outfits are great fun and totally different to everything else on the road.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

Yeah, I quite like this thread.... dave h, give an outfit a go. I suspect it's one of those things most people either love or hate. Fortunately, I love it, possibly more so than riding a solo. I'd never ridden one until 4 yrs ago when Watsonian gave me an accompanied test ride on a Ural combo. First, though, I was in the chair whilst the proprietor piloted it, explaining the basics and lifting the chair wheel for his own amusement!
I remember preparing my CV after leaving Uni, for job applications, including a short paragraph on my ambitions which included owning a Morgan sports car and riding the Paris-Dakar. Most potential employers didn't know what either were, and sadly I've achieved neither. The PD will never happen now and the Morgan has been ditched as I have a box of Caterham bits arriving in a few months to build-up into a car. I hope.
I have to say fishing does nothing for me now, not since my rod was nicked at school by a fellow pupil who swore blind he didn't. But I can see the attraction of casting a perfect fly.
As Elmer, I'd love the time to chronicle memories of my early & teenage years, albeit it would probably be totally tedious to many. Growing up in East Africa, boarding school at eight, keeping illicit motorbikes and so on.
Another B list thing is to get a shotgun as I've always enjoyed occasional clay shooting. I picked up a licence application form about 25 yrs ago and it's still not been completed.
The next big B list thing - if normal travel is allowed before I'm past it - is a plan to ride Dover to Cape Town on the outfit. If the 'sidecar guys' can do it on a scooter & chair, I reckon it can't be too daunting!
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Chairs are somewhat counter intuitive and take a bit of learning, assuming a left hand chair, right handers can be taken with impunity, it's left handers where things begin to get a bit interesting, the idea is to slow down before the bend , and then sort of accelerate the bike around the side car wheel , whilst trying to keep it on the ground. I learnt on 'cousin Alans' Ural which had 18 inch ape hangers, and about 3 inches of loose in the sidecar mounts, it was like something out of Ogri cartoon.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

My bucket is the size of skip.

It started with a plan of ten 'big' things to do, then I thought of more so I started a list of 100 'less big' things, and that was filling up too quickly so I started a further list of 1001 small things, to make a nice round 1111 in total. Some of the little ones are simple pleasures - maybe just a day out to somewhere I've never been. Malham Tarn is an example - no idea why.

Interesting that nearly all involve the outdoors, meeting and being with people, doing/making something, or going somewhere - rather than buying stuff. (An e-mtb is the exception)
I've already ticked off several - including one of the biggies, with two more in planning.
Covid b*ggered up a few last year and again this, but there is still plenty to go at!

Hopefully retiring at the end of this year (if I last that long :shock: ). The list is only about 40% populated so far, I just add random things as they occur to me.

Gardening and decorating aren't on the list BTW, despite having received a few 'advisories' from you-know-who.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Ksithumper wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am My bucket is the size of skip.

It started with a plan of ten 'big' things to do, then I thought of more so I started a list of 100 'less big' things, and that was filling up too quickly so I started a further list of 1001 small things, to make a nice round 1111 in total. Some of the little ones are simple pleasures - maybe just a day out to somewhere I've never been. Malham Tarn is an example - no idea why.

Interesting that nearly all involve the outdoors, meeting and being with people, doing/making something, or going somewhere - rather than buying stuff. (An e-mtb is the exception)
I've already ticked off several - including one of the biggies, with two more in planning.
Covid b*ggered up a few last year and again this, but there is still plenty to go at!

Hopefully retiring at the end of this year (if I last that long :shock: ). The list is only about 40% populated so far, I just add random things as they occur to me.

Gardening and decorating aren't on the list BTW, despite having received a few 'advisories' from you-know-who.
Not being up on Acronyms I initially thought you were on about an electric Motor Torpedo Boat, which would be brilliant fun, I'm sure Priti Patel would give you a contract to patrol the seas off the "beaches". An E mountain bike is still a hoot though.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Ksithumper wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am
Malham Tarn is an example - no idea why.

It's worth doing the complete circular walk including Walner Scar, we put it off for about 5 years but it was worth the wait.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Having been (very) fortunate enough to have ridden North and South America, with a sidecar, a lap of Australia and New Zealand and having covered most of Europe I have a couple of big rides to do.

Across Asia.....maybe Mongolia and Russia as far a Vladivostok.
South to Cape Town.
Maybe then a trip to Antarctica.......probably without a motorcycle.

Add in an idea to walk coast to coast on the GR11 across the Pyrenees.....another Camino or two. The walk from Canterbury to Rome.

I still haven’t been to the TT.
Bicycles have also been mentioned here.....so maybe a big European cycle trip.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

That via Francigena (Canterbury to Rome walk) is on my list too; properly nuts that. We did a bit in Tuscany a couple of years ago and it was tough going.
I'm sticking with the UK SW coastal path for now, couple of days at a time and you're never too far from a pasty.

Return to “THE PUB”