Rats!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: Rats!

Post by garyboy »

stop feeding the birds.
if the wife objects. stop feeding the wife.
take control .. don't listen to her pleas for food.
feed the dog, but in a very controlled way, leave no scraps or open bins.
get a cat or two, train them to eat rats.
get a jack russel to harass the cats, who then harass the rats.
try not to feed any of them, let nature take its course, with the rats at the end of the food chain.
Do Not feed the birds.
do not use poison.
do not shoot the birds or the rats, or the wife, or the dog, or the cats.
if you have to shoot any of the above, be sure to clean up the mess, as it attracts rats.

keep all areas clear of all types of food, even in the kitchen, use sealed bags or bins for waste and for storage.

did i mention .. don't feed the birds .. it attracts rats ... from all around ... the birds will survive anyway.

make strong concrete bases under all sheds and stores and out houses ... use glass in the concrete as the rats will scrape through .. use hardcore under the concrete, to help deter the rats from burrowing and nesting .. check around slabs and concrete bases for signs of nests and holes and burrows. ...send Jack down there is one is found, but tie some rope to his back legs (just kiddin btw) .. think of borrowing some ferrets? but tie the bottom of your trousers lol.

can i be honest here ... don't feed the birds :D
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

A mate of mine used to use rock salt...but the rats he was after drove grey transit vans.

You could certainly tell when you hit one...so I'm told!
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

catcitrus wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:41 pm With the .410 has anyone tried removing the shot and refilling the cartridge with ordinary candle wax? Makes bore cleaning more necessary but doesn't damage buildings too much--you have a kind of soft sabot. You can get devious and add a few .22 pellets into the mix for greater punch. I don't recommend this approach of course, and don't take any responsibility for the outcome.
Not tried that, we only ever cut round the cartridge to make a slug, which is daft, but we were young. We did make a few fertiliser bombs though......

There are loads of YouTube videos from guys in the states who do these things, I tend go in cycles from Bike videos to Guitar, Bass and Amp (not that I can play at all well) to Lingerie try-ons :shock: (keeping abreast of fashion wins points at Christmas and birthdays) to Shooting stuff to Travel reviews and back round again.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:09 pm A mate of mine used to use rock salt...but the rats he was after drove grey transit vans.

You could certainly tell when you hit one...so I'm told!
trouble is in this country, the rats know they can get away with .. er, .. murder ..
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I hope certain poster persons realise that the police read these forums, and have app that will picj up certain word, that are injurious to public health and security?
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:34 am Call your local authority, they should deal with it. Rats will take food back to the nest so any poisoned food runs a risk to other wildlife once out of a trap.
The council bloke told me to wire the food onto the trap otherwise they carry it away and store it for when there isn't so much food, rather than eat it now which is what you want. Council bloke also suggested stuffing it down their holes, ( still wired on) . The guy also explained that rats have poor eyesight and like to stay close to walls etc . If you could move the bird table more that 3-4 metres away from anything ( like into the middle of the garden maybe) it discourages them as they feel much more vulnerable. The little fuckers live inside the walls of our stone shed and under the concret floor , nightmare.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

garyboy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:30 pm I hope certain poster persons realise that the police read these forums, and have app that will picj up certain word, that are injurious to public health and security?
Better lock the doors and hide behind the couch Gary, if the Police App takes note of your mention of murder and they scan the rest of your posts, the wee white van with the sniffer dogs will be outside soon. :roll:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

why the sniffer dogs? .. :?
men carrying a nice white suit, I can understand .. :lol:

no .. its just that UK is still in the second highest terror alert, and out good spies will pick up certain words, if they are together with an admission of fabrication and use? ... (genuinely trying to be helpful)

best delete?

ps .. i did not admit to murder .. but the rats did.. :lol:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

steve the grease wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:34 pm
Snaf MKII wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:34 am Call your local authority, they should deal with it. Rats will take food back to the nest so any poisoned food runs a risk to other wildlife once out of a trap.
The council bloke told me to wire the food onto the trap otherwise they carry it away and store it for when there isn't so much food, rather than eat it now which is what you want. Council bloke also suggested stuffing it down their holes, ( still wired on) . The guy also explained that rats have poor eyesight and like to stay close to walls etc . If you could move the bird table more that 3-4 metres away from anything ( like into the middle of the garden maybe) it discourages them as they feel much more vulnerable. The little fuckers live inside the walls of our stone shed and under the concret floor , nightmare.
could you simply fill in the holes in the walls and the holes around the floors with concrete?
clear around the area first, for access?
and keep persevering?

just wondering.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

garyboy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:17 pm why the sniffer dogs? .. :?
men carrying a nice white suit, I can understand .. :lol:

no .. its just that UK is still in the second highest terror alert, and out good spies will pick up certain words, if they are together with an admission of fabrication and use? ... (genuinely trying to be helpful)

best delete?
I was treading carefully (for once); I thought it better to insinuate drug use rather than you being off your trolley....hoping you would take it in good humour.

I think the intelligence services would quickly note the dichotomy between our ramblings here and posts made by would be terrorists....well I hope they would. Sure, its all kept, but if they want to read it, I don't give a rats....(trying t get back on theme)

Take care.

Return to “THE PUB”