Had the jab yet?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
johnnyboxer

Re: Had the jab yet?

Post by johnnyboxer »

daveuprite wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:27 pm Thalidomide was never a vaccine

It was used something that it was never designed for,which came about of a consequence of a positive side effect, hence why it was prescribed for women in their 1st and 2nd trimesters of pregnancy

Thalidomide is still in use today
Exactly. It was a mis-prescribed drug. You can't blame a perfectly safe and efficacious drug for the terrible consequences of prescribing it to the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Its correct label application (from brand new) was for treating leprosy and myelomas, NOT morning sickness.

As to the polio vaccine, there was one very serious incident in the 50s (the Cutter incident) where a pharmaceutical company mistakenly released a poorly de-activated drug, allowing actual polio virus into the population vaccinated. 200 children suffered or died. The correctly formulated vaccine against polio has no such impact and has saved thousands if not millions of lives.

So these are poor examples of defective drugs/vaccines, more associated with negligence than the original sound science that created them.

It's important to be precise and accurate when citing examples, and to make a reasoned and well-researched assessment of risk before judging the usefulness of vaccines.
Exactly and well said Dave

Nothing wrong with thalidomide for its prescribed usage
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

daveuprite wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:31 am
johnnyboxer wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:27 pm Thalidomide was never a vaccine

It was used something that it was never designed for,which came about of a consequence of a positive side effect, hence why it was prescribed for women in their 1st and 2nd trimesters of pregnancy

Thalidomide is still in use today
Exactly. It was a mis-prescribed drug. You can't blame a perfectly safe and efficacious drug for the terrible consequences of prescribing it to the wrong people for the wrong reasons. Its correct label application (from brand new) was for treating leprosy and myelomas, NOT morning sickness.

As to the polio vaccine, there was one very serious incident in the 50s (the Cutter incident) where a pharmaceutical company mistakenly released a poorly de-activated drug, allowing actual polio virus into the population vaccinated. 200 children suffered or died. The correctly formulated vaccine against polio has no such impact and has saved thousands if not millions of lives.

So these are poor examples of defective drugs/vaccines, more associated with negligence than the original sound science that created them.

It's important to be precise and accurate when citing examples, and to make a reasoned and well-researched assessment of risk before judging the usefulness of vaccines.
Interesting Dave, you try to point out that the examples are poor, but then show they are actually good examples.

I'm no expert in this and don't wiki the "facts" to look good when making a post to sound knowledgeable, but going back to my post I didn't say that Thalidomide was a vaccine (though this has been assumed by others), just an example of a treatment that had gone wrong for whatever reason. The reason it and polio jabs went wrong are prime examples of why some people fear vaccines.

Badly made drugs / vaccines / treatments, badly prescribed, negligence, cover ups, using soldiers as Guinee Pigs.... all lead to a lack of confidence, all have been in recent history and all have shaped our views on vaccines. That is the point.

I'm still going to get my second jab though.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

2nd AZ yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Second AZ jab this evening, so far so good.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tracie and me just got Pfizered for the first time in Bellac. All very well organised, as we've come to expect from the french health system. A form to complete, an interview with the doctor, the jab itself and then 20 minutes monitoring to make sure we didn't turn into Bill Gates (I suppose we'd have to have divorced straight away..). Next injection in 6 weeks time.

So time for a few G&Ts to celebrate - any old excuse...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

2nd Pfizer today, hurty arm, no other effects so far :D
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Good tip, give the staff a big box of chockies least you can do to say thanks and a nurse got so excited eating one earlier I thought she was having an orgasm :lol: never seen that before :D
gbags

Post by gbags »

Nigel wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:06 pm Good tip, give the staff a big box of chockies least you can do to say thanks and a nurse got so excited eating one earlier I thought she was having an orgasm :lol: never seen that before :D
2nd Astra Zeneca tomorrow.
I think I’ll keep the chocs and orgasm myself!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Nigel wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:06 pm I thought she was having an orgasm :lol: never seen that before :D
You need to get out more Nigel... :D

Nice gesture, that. I thanked the staff yesterday profusely. One was a retired doctor who had volunteered to carry out the vaccination program for our town. I'll take chocs or similar when I go for the second one.

No side effects so far except for slightly sore arm - no hassle. I actually felt slightly emotional that the health services are managing to pull off this enormous exercise. Real mass life-saving is going on right in front of us, and I really appreciate getting the jab when the virus still lives and spreads amongst us.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Nigel wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:06 pm Good tip, give the staff a big box of chockies least you can do to say thanks and a nurse got so excited eating one earlier I thought she was having an orgasm :lol: never seen that before :D
Well, I suppose giving a nurse an orgasm is preferred to idea of giving them the clap.

Just for future reference, should I find myself en privé with a nurse, what was the flavour? Probably not the coffee cream...

Return to “THE PUB”