Other Stuff

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Other Stuff

Post by garyboy »

I a bit embarrassed about the wobbly I threw, deleting the aob thread .. but i thought no-one really found it interesting
There are many on this forum with a far better knowledge of Bikes and Adventures than me 8-)
But i am good at spouting a load of bollix :lol:
So i will re-post some pics .. and rubbish talk :D

[in my defence .. i had an abscess .. tooth is now out ... it turned me funny like ... but not all that funny] :lol:
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
garyboy

Re: Other Stuff

Post by garyboy »

a bit relevant ..

ImageVF1000f by gary boy, on Flickr

this is a stock photo like the road bike i had ..
Honda VF1000f

the VF750f was the one with the chocolate cams .. but the 1000 was fabulous ... cruise at 130 all day .. a mile cruncher and quite comfortable, even 2 up .. It was very top heavy, but very narrow in profile, being a inline v4 .... very powerful for the time, and good at in-and-outs of traffic due to its narrowness.

smooth as a nun's fanny, to ride, and very rev-free

my favourite hunting grounds, at the time, was the A303 from south of swindon (where i lived) to the A30 through devon and cornwall? .. there were no cameras in those days :mrgreen:

high speeds were compulsory, and i actually used to stand up to use the wind as a front brake, while using the gears as a rear brake (the older i get, the faster i was :D
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Imageebay_232485174413_1 by gary boy, on Flickr

this is the closest archive pic i can find of my FJ1200
fabulous looking bike
I used to just stand and look at it in my then garage.
silvery flecks in a very dark blue (looked like it was black)

also very free revving, and very powerful for the time, but not as much so as the zzr1100 of the day,
great for touring, tho advertised as a sport, as mentioned on this forum before.
I found the front a bit cramped though, as if i was leaning over the front too much
went everywhere on it, usually 2-up.
Those were good days.
heavy bike, like the vf1000, but i must have been strong in those days? but easy to ride at higher speeds.

comment by Asgard ..

Lovely bike Gary I only had a brief borrow of one when my mate went off to work in Holland but it was a brilliant mile eater I had a look around for a good FJ 1200 recently but they all look knackered now and if I found one that looked like your pic it would probably cost a fortune...used bike and car prices seem a bit silly to me at the mo
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Image6000000007 by gary boy, on Flickr

again an archive pic, as i lost all my photos a long time ago

mine was a bit tatty. I picked it up from Londaon and rode it back to Wales on the M4 ... i was astounded how, with just a small twist of the throttle, the rest of the vehicles behind, disappeared in the rear view mirrors.

Mind, this was the time that cameras were starting to be installed, and the otheres were actually being sensible.

the rear swing arm was prone to rust, but the engine was unstoppable, except mine did boo hoo, probably from salt in the solenoid wires area? ... had to get rid, as i was evicted from my caravan, where i kept all my bikes.

good solid bike, very steady on the road, could ovetake sports bike easily on straights and slow bends, but .. you could certainly feel the weight on tight bends, where i was left for `dead`` .. felt, at that situation, like a barge lol .. but the police loved them .. (to ride)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the solution to tight bends was ...

the Honda Fireblade .. :D 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Image313 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

pic of actual bike ...
i loved that bike .. but it didnt love my wrists neck and back ... aarrrgh

954 cc of flexible beauty in that engine

and it cut through bends like a blade ... ah ... so that's where they got they name?? :D

I used to take it out ... `now take it easy` .. i would say to myself .... after a few minutes, i started to get the hang of it, and it really saw under a ton on straights, and very high on bends too .. after 6 hours of that, i felt like i waas foaming at the mouth :lol: .. in a lather frenzy? ... i must stop riding it .. it made me do it ... it really was a racing bike !!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

video by RS mark11

posted by Richard
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

salvaged from aob

brill coupla hours on road bike. (no pics, sorry)

got up late again, .. so what shall i do today? ... foot hurting from riding the Emtb, or perhaps just from the cold .. weather looking poor .. mmmm … perhaps I could actually get out on the road bike (NC750s dct) … really??? … can I do that ???

I know .. I will check the oil level as I was worried about a grinding whirring noise from the engine, and adjust the over-worn chain !!! … yehhh … I will do that .. been itching for a while but bad weather!!... thank goodness for essential shopping, eh?

Strange … today was one of those rare days when everything seemed easy !!!

Opened the bike tent, let the neighbour’s cat out (rat controller.. the cat, I mean) and run the bike … Always starts first time .. all sounded ok, nice and smooth after 10 seonds .. check oil .. spot one… but must check if the clutch filter is the right way round .. I expect it is … which means that the noise is there through no fault of a person … perhaps just wear and tear? … but sod it .. can’t worry about it any more … just ride it !!! .. if it blows up .. well it does… that’s the attitude, right? … but just Ride the fukkin thing ffs.

The chain adjusted nice and easy … why is everything so easy today? .. and I got into my bike costume, lol, found my `lost` spare key in the pocket .. happy days .. so easy … and rolled the bike out … how am I doing this pushing thing so easay? .. perhaps all that emtb riding is making me fit .. and the new diet .. spoiled only bu loads of supermarket beer and slabs and slabs of chocolate .. doh !!

The biking gear went on quickly and easily ……. No mean feat when u overweight and old bastard … and I mounted the bike like a twenty year old and was Off !!

Fuck me !!! .. I could still remember how to ride the bike … felt great …. Felt 20 years younger (well, 50 years younger actually lol) … but old age, lack of use, and stiff brakes got the better of me for a fraction of a second …. At the first junction … how the Fuck do you slow/stop this thing .. I been riding push bikes, and still had the idea of a clutch lever on the left handle bar as well .. so wondering if that left lever was for the rear brake or the clutch?

Answer? … neither … doh …. It’s a semi automatic .. no clutch lever.

Luckily, my autonomic nervous system cut in (muscle memory, automatic responses) as I just didn’t try to use the fore brain but relaxed and let the bike stop itself, so to speak?

So? … I go straight to tesco, and do the right thing, save the nhs all by myself, and save thousands of innocent lives … er yeah .. but I could still go the long way round? .. right?

Of course, it had started to rain as I had set out, but I had good, but reasonably priced, gear on, and I was testing my new water proof gloves from M and P of Swansea. .. Happy days, all going well .. low speeds as foggy and wet, and out in the wilds .. I’m sure there was a tesco here? .. o well, I will just have to suffer the longer journey, and ignore all the country views and SAS soldiers crossing the road with their rifles and wet boots.

It was wet, but not me .. it was cold, but not me .. and it was great.
I ignored all the funny noises, it could be wind noise, as I had just had a curry for breakfast, and the funny little screeches were probably the hunny bees caught in the headlight?

Got home dry, warm, and very happy  …

Shopping? .. o shit !!! .. I forgot that !!! … better go again soon then.
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

by jak

salvaged from aob thread

Of course it is relevant Gary. This is the Pub. Surely the point is it should be like a good pub, where you may have a beer, but the point is to see your mates, or meet new people, and talk bollocks for an hour or so. Hopefully you will leave feeling a bit better, or more enlightened than when you went in. Unfortunately good pubs, virtual or real, are hard to find. One of my favourite books about motorcycling is ‘Motorcycle Cavalcade’ by Ixion. In the chapter on inns he moans about the introduction of dominoes and football coupons as they stifle the conversation. God knows what he would make of most modern boozers.
Anyway keep posting and put some more of your artwork on here.
Cheers
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

salvaged

garyboy wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:37 am
Asgard wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:12 am
Is that rear Aluminium-alloy?, Im quite surprised that oem on your bike would not be steel Gary

......or is it both? (Alu inner/steel tooth-ring) best of both worlds so to speak

looks like steel to me. Asgard.

the central shiny areas are just from machining, i would say

it is a budget bike, around 6000£ ? i think? and not at all lightweight .. just weighed the set .. over 5.5 pound weight approx. lol
I dont think the chain quality is fantastic either, only lasted 25,000 miles, but i never cleaned it properly, after use, just sprayed more oil on, until recently accepted that it does need cleaning regularly as well as oiling (learned from my emtb)

what i like about the set is the price
and the machining .. hope it will keep things aligned, with the cut outs.
and the fit ... really tight .. the chain on the cogs

with the dct version, you cant feather the clutch as there is not one, and changes can sometimes be a bit jerky, especially if the chain tension is not spot on ......also, the engine is longer stroke than average, making it a higher torque machine, wearing more on the chain?
but i like the extra weight... need it on the road, if at sensible speeds, but feel it a bit when braking from high(ish) speeds, as only a single disc at the front. .. but it suits me most of the time .... just take it easy?

ps .. had a lot of trouble with the front right oil seal .. leaking .. changed several times but just the same? .. just realised that this may be something to do with the front disc, as it is on the same side (rhs) and judders at high braking speeds ... doh
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

salvaged from aob

garyboy wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:12 am
after years of being tuff 'n 'ard like (lol) .. i have finally succumbed to ordering some handlebar muffs ... arthritis seems to be slowly winning? .. i even got a pain in my left heel, ffs ....

the cold is getting to a cold fish?

gbags wrote ..

Since this is Any Other Business and a few of us are starting to negotiate late middle age, let me ask about your (and anyone else’s) arthritis.

I have a general pain in one foot across the area where the toes meet the foot, corresponding to the knuckles in a fist. The more I walk or exercise it, the more it hurts. It’s not enough to stop me getting about but it’s slowing me down. Does this sound like arthritis? Does anything alleviate the symptoms?
Last edited by garyboy on Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “THE PUB”