Other Stuff

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: Other Stuff

Post by garyboy »

ok .. so our welsh first minister has `eased` lockdown .. a very clever ruse to help alleviate the psychological pressure of `stay home`.
but its a fop

so i can now travel up to 5 miles from home ... so what is the advantage .... none !!!
its not far enough to take the Ebike for a park and ride day out, ..
or to take a trail bike, if i had one, ..
or to take my road bike ..
as tescos is further than 5 miles, and i can get my high kicks from that :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

When I lived in west Wales we were more than 5 miles from the food shops, the doctors and the hospital...proof that as far as the WAG is concerned Wales = Cardiff. Most places in Wales a more than 5 miles from anywhere.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I think i should start to learn Chinese, as t hey are about to take over the world ... and if they don't, i can get served quicker in the local takeaway 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:12 pm When I lived in west Wales we were more than 5 miles from the food shops, the doctors and the hospital...proof that as far as the WAG is concerned Wales = Cardiff. Most places in Wales a more than 5 miles from anywhere.

i have read many complaints from parts of wales that are other than Cardiff
especially north wales
as the investment seems to be largely in Cardiff, as you imply.
lately there seems to be more of an effort to spread the funding, but there is no doubt that the main is still in the capital.
btw ... i remember when we all had a vote as to which city (or town, then) would be the welsh capital ... Swansea was very disappointed to be second choice, and still complains about lack of funding.

but, to be fair, there seems to be a great deal of investment in wales lately
.. the valleys park (i think its called)
.. the south wales metro (trains, trams and buses coordinated and extended)
.. new bridges and cycle paths
.. new parks from old spoil heaps (taff bargoed park eg)

we don't realise how poor we are here in wales until there is some investment .. and then we begin to see wot we been missin

a lot of the funding has come from the objective one EU funding ... i hope boris will send us some crumbs in future??

30 miles limit would actually be useful .. but of course people would abuse that
but they will abuse the 5 mile limit anway, so at least it is keeping distance contact down a bit?
Born2Ride

Post by Born2Ride »

I have added Royal Enfield 350 bullet trials variant to the list of bikes. This is the 2008 pre unit construction lump so essentially a 1950s bike built in India in 2007.

What a delight to ride. Limited power but perfectly acceptable on the back lanes. Nothing like anything I've ridden previously, gear change right side and up the wrong way takes a bit of mental agility after 30 odd years of left side right way up. Front brake can really only be described as "fitted", rear brake will have it sideways in the blink of an eye.

Starting, quite straight forward with a heavy boot (need to remember to retract side stand else it takes a lot of sweat until the obvious is figured out - cut out switch :roll: )

The trick seems to be to get the engine at a steady thump and just keep up momentum. A roads to be avoided as every one else seems to be in a hurry.

Its a different world and an experience I wish I had now had earlier.
Always an adventure, never a disappointment.

Return to “THE PUB”