Britain looking to start the next chapter

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Flipflop

Re: Britain looking to start the next chapter

Post by Flipflop »

[/quote]

That's a very fair point of view. I can see exactly where you're coming from. It certainly can seem that the enlightenment / age of reason 'project' has failed, or is in the process of failing.

What I won't give up on is the ability to change, even if the change is not actually happening. We have demonstrated as a society that we can improve and progress IF we want to and IF we choose to. The demonstrable failures, for instance as you say in the case of things like famine and war, do not make further examples inevitable. Likely, perhaps, but not inevitable.

At the end of the day, it is not mad max out there. That's the destination when people give up on the idea of sound leadership and institutions designed to encourage cooperation. I prefer to see it as a kind of wavelength graph rather than a constantly descending or ascending line. We seem to be in a dip of cultural development right now, what with covid, brexit, trumpism and climate change, but that doesn't mean there are no peaks ahead. It's the last of those four that threatens it most by far...
[/quote]

You are right not to give up on change but it’s a lot worse than mad max for a lot of people.
There is more slavery (real slavery, not low wages) in Britain than at any time in history:
Nail bars, cannabis farms, house slaves, sex slaves, gypsy dossers etc.....
Apartheid is alive and well in schools in Britain and I’m not just talking about Muslim schools.
Forced marriages
The list goes on.

I’m sure you’re more than aware of all this. I believe that the problem and therefore the answer, is micro not macro. It’s easy to blame governments and leaders. Sure they can put laws into place but those laws are ineffective unless individuals believe in them and adhere to them. Therefore law makers cannot make those laws extreme enough to make a difference, if they try ...... look at prohibition.

It would be nice to think that education would make us civilised, but we are humans, with desires and wants that are different from everyone else.
I believe that real change will only happen on a micro level:
Each person sells any vehicle (batteries are in-humane to the people of the Congo) and walks every where.
Stop eating meat - stop eating so much
No dope or cheeky lines on a Saturday night
All soldiers just take off their uniforms and go home
Sorry but the list is long and impossible because people have an inbuilt survival gene and to survive you need to improve and so it goes on.

We need to look to ourselves not our leaders it’s just as easy to ignore the bad ones as it is the good ones. Millions of people lead a happy life under Stalin — “yes, yes of course we love you” then just got on with going to work and having a life with their family and friends.
It’s been a nice discussion as always Dave - and I’ll sign off but keep reading the thread as I also need hope :)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Here's a small bit of good news...the UK isn't going to implement the Vnuk Insurance requirement which meant that everything with an engine form Lewis Hamilton's racing car to your lawn mower would have had to have had 3rd party insurance.
dave h

Post by dave h »

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

dave h wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:56 pm Things starting to look up,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... rket-rally

dave.
Total nonsense. The day before the brexit vote the pound/euro rate was 1.32. It sank instantly after the referendum, to just 1.02 over the next 2 years. I personally lost thousands as a result, so I'm very aware of this plunge. It has recovered a little recently based on relative covid-19 vaccination successes, to 1.16 today but it has spent about 3 years in the 1.08 - 1.14 area. The underlying brexit disaster is still baked in, because it was a mistake, now built into the UK's economic prospects, regardless of temporary covid related fluctuations.

This is accepted and demonstrable fact, not opinion. Just one piece of evidence here, if you really need it: https://www.keycurrency.co.uk/GBPtoEuro Of course I can supply a multitude of sources along the samelines. It's easy, Because it's what happened. Reality will always win, no matter how much you experiment with delusion.

Don't do the self-delusional thing. It's demeaning and a bit embarrassing, and exactly what the brexiteer millionaires want from you.. They absolutely love fact-rejecting mugs - they make them rich. Respect the facts and in doing so respect yourself.
dave h

Post by dave h »

we knew it was going to be painful to leave the EU to start with [the EU commission was to make sure of that]

my point is some confidence my be returning in the UK,

dave.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

iremember the euro/pound exchange rate was 1.14 for years ... i remember one of the riding young lads asking me ... i was able to tell him 1.14 .. that was about 3 or 4 years ago. b ut may be longer.

it went down to 1.11 in the pandemic, aprox ... then recently climbed to 1.14 and today it was 1.17.

If i got these figures wrong, i apologise, and dont doubt the word of bikers in forrin lands .. but perhaps those devilish froggies are tampering with the uk figures .. :lol:

the brexit success is now starting to show, and according to that peice, the euro has nose dived?, which may account for some of the sterling success? .. i am certainly no expert, far from it .. but giv e credit to our country (thats the UK) where it is due ... this is why we won the war (with a tad help from usa and commonwealth and russia and china? and ... etc .... we used our 'eds like innit .. and we are devious bassards, that use common sense too

they can try to stop our vaccines from the EU, but the initail doses were from germany and netherlands (just read it) and now mostly from our own war supplies and bunkers lol . :D

we (the UK) are making deals with america, Japan, india, australia, the commonwealth etc etc etc .... we will once again rule the waves ... and the world ... enter fanfare trumpets ..

so there. :mrgreen:

ps... difficult to leave the EU, you say ... my god,, the eu are showing themselves up to be the most childing spiteful but split block (heads)
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

NURSE !
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:50 pmNURSE !
if that call is for ME ... please can i have a young blondie one .. with no ppe.

if the call is for you, Dave ... don't give up mate .... keep going .... there is always a place for you back here in old blighty ....

talking of nursing homes ...
btw ... did you know that in the Uk a lot of nursing homes are facing closure through lack of funding ..

.... and the latest on the jab .. is that there will basicall be none in the UK for all of April .. :shock:
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the latest huge development here in the UK ... followed closely in the news media throughout the world .. is that some of our workers ... some .. will be rrecognised as workers ... waw ...

and given the minimum wage .. but only for when they actually work

and there is talk of ... hold on to your hat ... pension rights ....

and even holidays ..

fkkk . me ... makes you proud to be british .. eh ... (tear in eye)

((edit .... so what was all that `History` thing about ????))
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Return to “THE PUB”