Britain looking to start the next chapter

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Brenhden

Re: Britain looking to start the next chapter

Post by Brenhden »

Imagine if the UK just popped into existence one day right here. And we looked around and tried to figure out where we belong and who we should ally ourselves with...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I find the movement to the right in this country very scary. It seems we have gone further that way post the referendum than during it. We now have a PM who has made openly racist comments in the past and a Home Secretary who seems desperate to cut down on refugees and deny the right to peaceful protest. The Royal family’s recent refusal to condemn racism and sexual abuse from within its ranks, is tantamount to endorsing it for the rich and privileged. The leader of the house’s utter contempt for working people, like the fishermen whose jobs have been lost due to this government’s incompetence is shameful, as are his attacks on journalists. I thought Brexit was about taking Britain back to the perceived golden age of Dad’s Army, not trying to replicate Nazi Germany.
I think the only hope is the younger generation. They have lost more due to Brexit and this government’s incompetence during the pandemic than most of us. Millions joined Corbyn’s Labour Party, swayed by his arguments of policies ‘for the many not the few’. Unfortunately they saw the right of the Labour Party oust the leader they joined to support. If ever a generation felt betrayed it must be them. As they tend to get their news from a wide variety of social media sources we can only hope they see the dangers facing us and take action, whether that is at the ballot bow or on the streets.
dave h

Post by dave h »

With the new confidence coming back into Britain and the vaccine programme being one of the best in the world i called my uncle spock,

He said,

live long and prosper.

dave.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:46 pm Imagine if the UK just popped into existence one day right here. And we looked around and tried to figure out where we belong and who we should ally ourselves with...
Yeah, that's often a useful thought experiment / exercise. Tabula Rasa.

If you had a blank slate to design the way your country operated, how would it look? And how far away from where it is now would that be?

For all its many faults, the basic idea of social democracy and the social contract, plus adherence to a peaceful world order via international cooperation and collaboration, generally produces a fairly well organised and balanced society, with the best chance of something approaching freedom, responsibility, equality, peace with neighbours and fraternity for its citizens. Of course it's easy to pick holes in that ambition, but it's a good one on the whole.

How far is the UK from that pleasant blank slate idealistic position right now? I would say, a very long way indeed. We see division not far short of civil war, racism, xenophobia, 'culture wars', misogyny, hatred, huge economic disparity and an abandonment of compromise or common purpose. A society not at all at peace with itself.
dave h

Post by dave h »

Your dream world doesn't exist,[ don't get me wrong it would be nice if it did],

get real we have.

https://www.express.co.uk/latest/eurozone

dave.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

dave h wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:01 pm Your dream world doesn't exist,[ don't get me wrong it would be nice if it did],

get real we have.

https://www.express.co.uk/latest/eurozone

dave.
Ah, the Express......Right Wing propaganda rag.....believe that at your peril (or is it too late?). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Exp ... 20million.

Also check out how much the owner has paid in tax to HMRC.....

Somewhere behind the story is the truth and its not as published by that lot. You need a better (read honest) information mate.
dave h

Post by dave h »

time will tell,

dave.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Not all those wandering are lost
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

dave h wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:50 pm time will tell,

dave.
Don’t forget Dave, to a lot of contributors on here if it’s not in the Guardian .......
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

DaveH, are you honestly not concerned about the implications behind what this government is doing? The clamping down on the right to protest by a Home Secretary who would not even have the right to vote if it were not for peaceful protest, the restrictions of individuals to challenge the government in the high courts, the attempts to delay an inquiry into the farcical response to Covid. These are not the actions of a government who are looking forward to a prosperous and rosy future these are the actions of a government who are frightened, that despite their influence of the right wing media, the truth will out. I have no idea which planet you live on, but a lot of friends and relatives of mine are worried about their future job prospects and rising living costs. There may be some who are in the fortunate position of not being able to worry about these things, but there are a hell of a lot of frightened people out there. If the future is looking so great why can we only afford to give NHS staff a 1% pay rise, whilst capping the pay of other key workers? Why are we trying to illegally delay the implication of the Northern Ireland protocol which our government came up with? Why do we need a footballer to point out the injustice of the free school meals system? Why are so many people in this prosperous country reliant on food banks?
Saying feel will tell is not much consolation to those facing the realities of job cuts and food banks. Still at least the fish are happy.
For those who only get their news from the Express you perhaps ought to read more about the implications of the Police, Crime Sentencing and Courts Bill. It does not distinguish between protests and other assemblies, could be used to clamp down on all many of motorcycle meetings. There is no limit on numbers, so this could be a club run out, a meeting at a cafe, a charity run etc.

Return to “THE PUB”