Uk import duty shocker!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
byewayrider

Uk import duty shocker!!

Post by byewayrider »

Yes it's in the bbc headlines.... But not many are aware yet buying anything from Europe now may have a import duty applied by the delivery agents amount depends on where the good originated and type of goods etc even family gift packages..

Also the paper work for import export is madness... Makes buying from either a UK supplier who has already paid duty and pushed up prices or buying from China direct...

Also most parcel companies are now leveling addition costs for paper work and custom declaration forms...

This isn't a dig at brexit just a buy product of leaving a single market.... It was in place before we joined the single market and free movement of goods etc..

Becareful when ordering anything from Europe as the sellers are not disclosing additional costs just small print saying the buyer is responsible for custom charges that may be due....

If I need anything from Europe I'll buy via friends abroad and collect on my next trip.... Smuggling is gonna be fun again.....
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
HarveyCamm

Re: Uk import duty shocker!!

Post by HarveyCamm »

I've just had parts arrive from Germany, ordered 12/01 arrived yesterday 19/01 and there's nothing in the paperwork to suggest anything has been added / charged over the screen price (in Euros) and P & P delivery charges, customs paperwork list the content as "motorcycle spare parts" and the value was < £200 maybe there's thresholds to be aware of ?
For me it's been a very smooth transaction - I'd have expected to have to pay any import charges before someone gave me the stuff if any were due.

Cheers
Harv
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

no idea of the accuracy, but I imagine the facts will have consequence to most of us one way or another
:( :?: :oops:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Duties, tariffs, customs charges and other fees will vary from item to item and yes, there are thresholds. One person could experience no uplift on a purchase and a bill that accompanies the next. We will all (on both sides of the channel) be affected in a wide variety of ways. Just the red tape involved in all the regulations adds considerable costs and big delays, as the UK fishing/shellfish industry is finding as it collapses. It's a subject of much discussion here in France, where even after 3 weeks we are now getting familiar with the cost of importing from a third country - it's expensive - and it makes UK goods uncompetitive.

But there is a sad net outcome, which is quite simple really. Suppose for a moment that all UK buyers of EU goods decided to stop buying EU goods in protest at the extra charges. And then suppose that all EU buyers of UK goods did the same the other way round. Everybody loses. However the EU loses income from buyers in one country; while the UK loses income from buyers in 27 countries....
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

byewayrider wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:09 am Yes it's in the bbc headlines.... But not many are aware yet buying anything from Europe now may have a import duty applied by the delivery agents amount depends on where the good originated and type of goods etc even family gift packages..

Also the paper work for import export is madness... Makes buying from either a UK supplier who has already paid duty and pushed up prices or buying from China direct...

Also most parcel companies are now leveling addition costs for paper work and custom declaration forms...

This isn't a dig at brexit just a buy product of leaving a single market.... It was in place before we joined the single market and free movement of goods etc..

Becareful when ordering anything from Europe as the sellers are not disclosing additional costs just small print saying the buyer is responsible for custom charges that may be due....

If I need anything from Europe I'll buy via friends abroad and collect on my next trip.... Smuggling is gonna be fun again.....
Joys of just saying 'non' to Customs Union, just to stop free movement of people

We will all pay more for everything, cheers Boris :mrgreen:

Threshold is £135
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

If you want a racy page-turning read, try this:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/s ... 50-faq.pdf

It's a precis in the form of FAQs (not the full text, mind!!) of how trade in goods should operate between the UK and EU post-brexit. It replaces, well, basically nothing really - none of this crap applied before.

Great for insomniacs looking for something to get them off...

And here's another 43 pages of fun for importers/exporters to absorb, understand and apply to their business procedures:

https://www.douane.gouv.fr/sites/defaul ... .11.20.pdf

No wonder quite a few of them have just given up on cross-channel trade. For many SMEs and carriers it's just not worth the hassle.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Just had an Ebay purchase arrive from France.

It had new additional French customs documents attached - about 6 !!! :shock: :shock: :roll:

On this occasion no duty was levied, neither did the Seller charge me for the extra paperwork, he probably didn't realise. :D

However, clearly acres of Finland are going to be de-forested to support this lunacy :lol: :lol: and cross border selling is becoming a ball ache which lots of low value/low transaction qty sellers will probably avoid. :roll:
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

What I am surprised at is that anyone is surprised. This was forecast several times over the last five years and was an inevitable consequence of us leaving the EU free trade agreement. I am lucky that I have some old British bikes and a Himalayan to ride and a reasonable stock of parts for my Guzzi. It will be costing all you BMW and KTM owners soon. If you look at the number of European vehicles on our roads it will have a significant impact. It may also impact on Harley owners as their spares all used to come to the UK via Germany. There are service items like tyres and oil filters many of which come from the EU and bits like electrical components on new vehicles.
Basically ‘freedom’ in this case is not going to be free. Although perhaps we could all try sending our extra bills to those politicians who encouraged people to vote for this stupidity, I am sure Bojo and Nigel will be happy to pay.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

what most of you `jockey tossers` (I made that up ... really :D ) monkey moaners (I made that one too .. chuffed or wot ?) don't seem to acknowledge is that it is your preferred dictators that have imposed all these problem tariffs and paperwork.

do you really think that boris went into all these negotiations with the aim of imposing all these restrictions on the british people?

(the answer is no .. btw)

but .. to be fait .. you defenders of british freedom, democracy and global justice, .. (the same people , but i changed my tune like a quisling turncoat :D ) .. really do have a point .. it is outrageous .. but only to be expected by EU protectionists, when they want to teach a good lesson ..

yeah .. its them bassards .. the EU .. wot dun it .... but then ,,, you can't really blame them can you ..
and UK have got to take some blame for that.

I will decide who's side i is on later .... but i dont really give a shit.. coz i is locked in like every other fokker .. (and non germans)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Jak* wrote:What I am surprised at is that anyone is surprised. This was forecast several times over the last five years and was an inevitable consequence of us leaving the EU free trade agreement. I am lucky that I have some old British bikes and a Himalayan to ride and a reasonable stock of parts for my Guzzi. It will be costing all you BMW and KTM owners soon. If you look at the number of European vehicles on our roads it will have a significant impact. It may also impact on Harley owners as their spares all used to come to the UK via Germany. There are service items like tyres and oil filters many of which come from the EU and bits like electrical components on new vehicles.
Basically ‘freedom’ in this case is not going to be free. Although perhaps we could all try sending our extra bills to those politicians who encouraged people to vote for this stupidity, I am sure Bojo and Nigel will be happy to pay.
Still we have a blue passport now (made in Poland) and we can look back fondly on Spitfires

Honda parts warehouse is in Belgium and Yamaha’s is in Holland - so watch those parts prices now
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “THE PUB”