Uk import duty shocker!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
johnnyboxer

Re: Uk import duty shocker!!

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:16 am

some people .. the majority on here, it seems, do not comprehend the notion of
FREEDOM

if it needs explaining, there is no point in trying.

i have come to believe that those who wish to remain tethered to the eu strings, are those who personally wish for ease of movement (adventure bikers) or/and who have business interests in or connected with the eu
But we aren't free, we're more restricted as we can't travel without a Green card (which now could cost money) and our stay is limited to just 90 days, unless we apply and pay for a VISA

All our goods, we import now cost more

Tell me why you like it

Tell me, what new FREEDOM you have enjoyed since 1/1/2021
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

There are two areas--VAT and import duty--quite separate. If you are importing TO the EU then VAT is payable at varying rates depending on country ABOVE 150 euros. This variable VAT rate is meant to be sorted out by a "one stop shop" when importing INTO the EU from the UK--and the rate is predicted to be about 3%(in about 6 months). There should be NO import duty to be paid by EU members for stuff imported from the UK (according to the Brexit deal?), BUT the French and others seem to be choosing to add customs duty as well! For items coming into the UK from the EU then HMRC have chosen to remove the 125 GBP limit for zero VAT altogether(idiots) so VAT is payable on Everything! Many EU firms can't be bothered to register with HMRC so that the VAT can be collected. This has resulted in many stopping trading with the UK. Again no actual import CUSTOMS duty should be payable--typically from the US its 8% import duty, 20% VAT and then an 8GBP handling charge---collected typically by Royal Mail. It seems that the "system " is unable to distinguish/separate VAT and Duty at the moment for the EU . Firms like DPD are now being tasked with collecting VAT and thus have to first hold the item and then contact the purchaser for payment--so that increases their shipment costs. E-commerce companies like e-bay also have to register with HMRC and collect VAT so that should be added to the purchase price that you see. The situation BEFORE Brexit was that so much trade was going on VAT free and the HMRC were missing loads of revenue. I agree that its a real mess and a barrier to trade at the moment, with fault on both sides. I'm sure that the ill prepared system for trade will sort itself out soon enough simply through pressure from the public--and I believe an example of this was on question time last night as the trade with NI is being affected. However, things are getting through--just had a roll bag delivered from Germany by DPD with no extra VAT or duty, and postage free. Good business will find a way! I'm no expert in this and simply ship stuff around the globe-bespoke and custom made---but if I've got anything wrong in the above summary then feel free to correct it.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

johnnyboxer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:01 pm
garyboy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:16 am

some people .. the majority on here, it seems, do not comprehend the notion of
FREEDOM

if it needs explaining, there is no point in trying.

i have come to believe that those who wish to remain tethered to the eu strings, are those who personally wish for ease of movement (adventure bikers) or/and who have business interests in or connected with the eu
But we aren't free, we're more restricted as we can't travel without a Green card (which now could cost money) and our stay is limited to just 90 days, unless we apply and pay for a VISA

All our goods, we import now cost more

Tell me why you like it

Tell me, what new FREEDOM you have enjoyed since 1/1/2021

green card is valid for 90 days in 180 days .. ie 2 x 90 = 180 days per year ... ie 6 months out of 12 ..... I got that free with my cheap AFlux bike insurance

since 1 jan .. i have been able to go out when i please, where i please, with whom i please ... freedom of movement within the UK .......
.. ok there is the little matter of covid lockdown .. :lol:

if we were not free to travel to and through the EU, then we could not visit .... once covid is over, obviously .... its just we got to jump through more hoops .... but there is no restriction to travel ... you just need the paperwork and a polish passport
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

catcitrus wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:02 pm There are two areas--VAT and import duty--quite separate. If you are importing TO the EU then VAT is payable at varying rates depending on country ABOVE 150 euros. This variable VAT rate is meant to be sorted out by a "one stop shop" when importing INTO the EU from the UK--and the rate is predicted to be about 3%(in about 6 months). There should be NO import duty to be paid by EU members for stuff imported from the UK (according to the Brexit deal?), BUT the French and others seem to be choosing to add customs duty as well! For items coming into the UK from the EU then HMRC have chosen to remove the 125 GBP limit for zero VAT altogether(idiots) so VAT is payable on Everything! Many EU firms can't be bothered to register with HMRC so that the VAT can be collected. This has resulted in many stopping trading with the UK. Again no actual import CUSTOMS duty should be payable--typically from the US its 8% import duty, 20% VAT and then an 8GBP handling charge---collected typically by Royal Mail. It seems that the "system " is unable to distinguish/separate VAT and Duty at the moment for the EU . Firms like DPD are now being tasked with collecting VAT and thus have to first hold the item and then contact the purchaser for payment--so that increases their shipment costs. E-commerce companies like e-bay also have to register with HMRC and collect VAT so that should be added to the purchase price that you see. The situation BEFORE Brexit was that so much trade was going on VAT free and the HMRC were missing loads of revenue. I agree that its a real mess and a barrier to trade at the moment, with fault on both sides. I'm sure that the ill prepared system for trade will sort itself out soon enough simply through pressure from the public--and I believe an example of this was on question time last night as the trade with NI is being affected. However, things are getting through--just had a roll bag delivered from Germany by DPD with no extra VAT or duty, and postage free. Good business will find a way! I'm no expert in this and simply ship stuff around the globe-bespoke and custom made---but if I've got anything wrong in the above summary then feel free to correct it.

great summary , Catty .. :D 8-) 8-)
i didn't know all that ... didnt realise that VAT was involved either
(I remember when there was NO vat .. at all .. doh)
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

catcitrus wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:02 pm There are two areas--VAT and import duty--quite separate. If you are importing TO the EU then VAT is payable at varying rates depending on country ABOVE 150 euros. This variable VAT rate is meant to be sorted out by a "one stop shop" when importing INTO the EU from the UK--and the rate is predicted to be about 3%(in about 6 months). There should be NO import duty to be paid by EU members for stuff imported from the UK (according to the Brexit deal?), BUT the French and others seem to be choosing to add customs duty as well! For items coming into the UK from the EU then HMRC have chosen to remove the 125 GBP limit for zero VAT altogether(idiots) so VAT is payable on Everything! Many EU firms can't be bothered to register with HMRC so that the VAT can be collected. This has resulted in many stopping trading with the UK. Again no actual import CUSTOMS duty should be payable--typically from the US its 8% import duty, 20% VAT and then an 8GBP handling charge---collected typically by Royal Mail. It seems that the "system " is unable to distinguish/separate VAT and Duty at the moment for the EU . Firms like DPD are now being tasked with collecting VAT and thus have to first hold the item and then contact the purchaser for payment--so that increases their shipment costs. E-commerce companies like e-bay also have to register with HMRC and collect VAT so that should be added to the purchase price that you see. The situation BEFORE Brexit was that so much trade was going on VAT free and the HMRC were missing loads of revenue. I agree that its a real mess and a barrier to trade at the moment, with fault on both sides. I'm sure that the ill prepared system for trade will sort itself out soon enough simply through pressure from the public--and I believe an example of this was on question time last night as the trade with NI is being affected. However, things are getting through--just had a roll bag delivered from Germany by DPD with no extra VAT or duty, and postage free. Good business will find a way! I'm no expert in this and simply ship stuff around the globe-bespoke and custom made---but if I've got anything wrong in the above summary then feel free to correct it.
I thought we were promised LESS red tape? And the freedom to trade freely with whoever we wanted?
Still ..... blue passports, eh!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

And you also need to subtract 42 and divide by the first number you thought of...
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Boris WAS stupid .. in thinking the EU would be reasonable and fair
simonw

Post by simonw »

An excellent article from Motolegends:

Buying motorcycle gear in Europe

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Buy ... cd2be1d0d9
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Economics will win in the end, if it's mutually beneficial to the UK and Europe then they will sort it out.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

The Moto Legends article makes some good points, but it still seems to come down to the fact that the UK consumer will be paying more. It also means that some UK businesses who relied on exports to the EU will go out of business.
We may find that all of this has a further detrimental impact on biking in the UK. As this is now largely a leisure pursuit, as the costs of living go up and the costs of biking rise, more people will give up. Looking on the bright side this may mean loads of cheap secondhand bikes and gear for those of us who carry on.

Return to “THE PUB”