Single tracks to single malts

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Spike941

Single tracks to single malts

Post by Spike941 »

Not much riding currently due to obvious reasons, I’m finding myself exploring single malts. Must have tried 50 plus since April, and having not been an appreciator of whisky before, I find I really do quite like the stuff. My taste buds have drifted across all the whisky producing regions of Scotland and seemed to have settled on Islay. As much as I like a heavily peated Ardbeg, I’m also really enjoying the non peated Sherry casked Bunnahadhain Stiùireadair, especially as it’s currently on offer at Tesco for £25.
What’s your favourite/recommendation?
Billy Bananahead

Re: Single tracks to single malts

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I find it's depends on the drinkers palate. A good blend can be just as good as a single malt.
The price of a single malt can be a too high and if the drinker doesn't like the taste then that's a total waste of money.
Laphroaig, Lagavulin,i like, i bought some Crabbies Single Malt last week which was a waste of money in my opinion, got a bottle of Grants blended going on at the mo, which i like. I used to drink whisky neat but now always with water, 50/50. Just my opinion, i'm no connoisseur. :oops:
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Had these ‘Single Grain’ whisky’s gifted from a couple of happy customers this week.

Sampling of South Africa starts tomorrow.
EA240884-C90F-451A-930D-DD2A0D32C634.jpeg
EA240884-C90F-451A-930D-DD2A0D32C634.jpeg (156 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Not sure i get the Single malt / Blended thing, maybe its something like the Stones or the Beatles or maybe just a way of cutting down the possibilities to a manageable level?

Check out the Isle of Rasaay Distillery websitehttps://raasaydistillery.com/ they have a new one which hasn't been released yet, so who knows how it will taste. Nice run up to Skye too, if you want to collect it.

I'm not a huge fan of whisky, but do like a few, but can't remember their names. Arran Distillery is local (same county) to me and I did like one of theirs when I was given one a few years ago. Also a good biking destination. I think someone on here did a distillery tour at one time, maybe biking visits could go hand in hand with your new passion once we can get out and assuming you haven't pickled yourself by then.

This reply was brought to you in association with Visit Scotland
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Bought one of these for my son for Christmas, only hope he doesn't drink it all before I see him next.

https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/persona ... ur-bottle/

They do a "smokey" version.

The small "tulip" whisky glasses make a difference. They are just the right size for warming the glass and getting the full aroma. Just remember no ice and any water added should be the same temperature as the whisky.

I generally like the Speyside style of whisky (I worked in Aberlour Distillery for a short time in my youth). However my all time favourites are Highland Park from Orkney and the various cask finish versions from Glenmorange. Also like the single malt Bushmills from Ireland.

For an Islay Malt I like Bruichladdich. They also do a fabulous gin called "The Botanist". Must admit I have consumed more of their gin than their whisky.

Friends have bought a B&B in Islay and must have spent nearly as much time in lockdown as they have trading. They get good Trip Advisor reviews. Not yet visited them yet, it's a long way.

https://www.orsayhouse.co.uk

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

I'm currently enjoying an Isle of Jura - very smooth but I also love Dalwhinney, been to the distillery twice now 🙂.

Don't forget the Irish if you're adventure drinking, Tullamore Dew it's a blend but really nice

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/b/32/ ... sh-whiskey

Cheers for a good Christmas
Harv
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I suppose single malts are like bikes, some people hate them but those of us who like them will like some more than others. I tend to like the island ones the best, but part of the joy is trying something new and finding another one you like.
The question of whether to add water or not was resolved for me when we did a tasting on Islay. The lad who showed us round pointed out that anything other than the spring water from which it was made would alter the taste. He said that you should let the warmth of your hands warm up the glass and the whiskey, then smell the fumes before tasting. But each to there own, just remember that if can smell and taste the difference between several single malts you know you haven't go Covid. Cheers
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Not a fan of whisky but I love Southern Comfort which uses whisky.
Had a tour around here [/url]https://www.englishwhisky.co.uk[/url]
and stuck my head in a vat of barley, the smell took me back 50 odd years to my childhood on a farm in Wiltshire, the smell :D
They blend whisky with a lot of different flavours, like they do with gin now, hate gin, hate rhubarb, rhubarb gin on the other hand is bloody lovely.

Many years ago I was on holiday with my parents touring Scotland and we stopped at the side of the road, Dad got talking to a guy who somehow guessed he was a fellow farmer, he offered Dad a dram mixed with water running in a stream, Dad said it was the best dram he'd ever had :D
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Well, I’m off to walk the dogs with my new found passion.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.61 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Return to “THE PUB”