Wintering Overseas

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
gbags

Wintering Overseas

Post by gbags »

This may have been covered before but I looked and didn’t find it so here goes.

Now that I qualify for a flu jab I quite fancy a couple of months abroad each winter. Initially Spain for the food, people, sunshine, roads, cafe culture, and much more.

Something like a fishing village with hills nearby, or a nice small town sounds great. A villa or flat with a pool and a reasonable rent.

Some of you must live in Spain and have an idea of good areas and prices. When we’ve been in Spain we’ve always been riding the bike, a different place every night so have seen that we like Spain but want some specific suggestions as to great areas and a realistic monthly rent.

Thanks
Ricalnic

Re: Wintering Overseas

Post by Ricalnic »

My parents have finally drawn a line under their Spanish retreats of 10 weeks before and after Christmas due to age and health. But Last 8 years or so have been Benalmadina. And we thoroughly enjoyed visiting them too.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Friends of ours go to Lanzarote for 3 months over the winter.
Planning permission does not allow over 3 stories and all property must be painted white - makes for a Greek island feel.
Whilst it’s not the perfect ‘little fishing village’ destination the weather is good and it’s a short flight.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Me and Misses have spent many winter months over recent years in the Granada Province, both in between Granada and the coast or actually on the coast. The Sierra Nevada mountains on your doorstep, so in winter, ski in the morning and relax on the beach in the afternoon. Not touristy, quiet, great roads, great weather, complimentary tapas with every drink. What’s not to like. Just a shame I’m not down there this winter.

January last year
Attachments
C2352F0E-D332-4D28-99D6-902CF5F786DC.jpeg
C2352F0E-D332-4D28-99D6-902CF5F786DC.jpeg (235.14 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
gbags

Post by gbags »

Good suggestions, thanks.
Yes, it has to be good for the family to visit and skiing and beach sounds good.

Did they buy or rent?
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

gbags wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:15 pm Good suggestions, thanks.
Yes, it has to be good for the family to visit and skiing and beach sounds good.

Did they buy or rent?
We rented and did quite a bit of house sitting. Plenty of folk advertising for sitters, especially during the winter. There are several websites just for that. We used Mindmyhouse.com
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

You should wait till brexit sorted as it's all changing in europe... Especially Spain... Its very quite at moment..
gbags

Post by gbags »

Great stuff, thanks.

I’ll check sitting.

Brexit and COVID both might stymie my efforts a bit.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

gbags wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:09 am Great stuff, thanks.

I’ll check sitting.

Brexit and COVID both might stymie my efforts a bit.
Brexit won't prevent you from a 2 month annual getaway to the sun. You won't be able to do more than 90 continuous days in any 180 day period, but two months will be fine. Covid's another matter of course - hopefully by next winter, if we've all got jabbed up and there's proper herd immunity the restrictions won't be needed and it'll be no problem.

Personally I found a little place in Portugal called Alvor many years back and I would happily spend 2 months overwintering there. It's a nice little fishing vllage with fantastic barbecued seafood to eat, reliable warm winter weather and some good journeys out to the West coast and inland. Plenty of places to rent on the Algarve too.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

My friends are flying out to Lanzarote this year as usual for their 90 days of winter sun. It is not on the quarantine list, at the moment, just tests going in and out.
If it is on the list, by the time they comeback, it looks like the government will have something in place to bypass a quarantine.
Just check your health insurance covers you for the country you’re going to during this pandemic - not for Covid but for any health matter, it’s worth double checking.

Return to “THE PUB”