So this guy approaches me.......

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jelly

So this guy approaches me.......

Post by Jelly »

While waiting at the M2 services today for the start of the MAG EU ride, a GS1200 pulls up a few bikes away from me and the rider and his missus are smiling and waving to me before the sidestand was even down.

I'm thinking 'do I know these people?' and start looking for the ABR sticker, no sticker. :dry:

The rider comes up to me and says 'Did you buy it from us?' at this point I though he was a dealer or something, I told him who and where I bought it from in April and he says 'Ah, thats who we sold it to'

Turns out that his daughter was the original owner and had taken the ol'girl across Africa with him, his wife and his son!!! 'That'll explain all the sand deep down inside it then!' I said.

He took me to the forks and said 'See that' pointing to the lack of black paint on the front of them, 'African sand wore all that away'. I'm dead chuffed that my ol' beast has seen some real action, even if it was before my ownership. :woohoo:

So I gave him a card and asked him to drop me a line so I could just ask a few questions about its past (we were 2 mins from starting and didnt have time for a decent chat)
He says his son will email me as he did a blog about the trip across Africa.

Hope he does contact me.

What an amazing coincidence though :)

Here is the daughter and I with her old bike!
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
alec

Re: So this guy approaches me.......

Post by alec »

be interesting reading the blog when you get the details mate.
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

Jelly wrote: Turns out that his daughter was the original owner and had taken the ol'girl across Africa with him, his wife and his son!!! 'That'll explain all the sand deep down inside it then!' I said.
Heheheh fantastic Stuff Jelly - hope they get in touch. If the suspension was the same one then it explains the handling.
Need to take it back to Africa for another adventure.
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
alec

Post by alec »

AckAckFlack wrote:
Jelly wrote: Turns out that his daughter was the original owner and had taken the ol'girl across Africa with him, his wife and his son!!! 'That'll explain all the sand deep down inside it then!' I said.
Heheheh fantastic Stuff Jelly - hope they get in touch. If the suspension was the same one then it explains the handling.
had a look at his shock today Mr Flack and it looks like the top of the spring has snapped and a coil or 2 is missing, Jelly must weigh about 13 - 14 stone and the bike nearly bottoms out with him on it,
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Tbh Gary, I'm made up, just hope they get in touch.

The ol buffalo now has instant adventure heritage and kudos, when we eventually meet I might even let you touch it. (the bike that is before someone pipes up with an 'ooh er')

I didn't think I could but I love the Vara even more now. :)

Re the shock, I've decided to splash out the £280 on a new Hagon and £100 on new fork springs and oil, buy a manual and do it all myself. :unsure:

After all, being a genuine African Queen. ;) , she deserves a bit of lavish attention. :)

herman

Post by herman »

It certainly gives me a warm glow when I see my old VFR750 F reg still being ridden and in really good nick. They probably felt the same way. You won't regret the Hagon,good guys to deal with. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

alec wrote:
AckAckFlack wrote:
had a look at his shock today Mr Flack and it looks like the top of the spring has snapped and a coil or 2 is missing, Jelly must weigh about 13 - 14 stone and the bike nearly bottoms out with him on it,
Ahem... I weigh 12 stone you cheeky git!!!

Agreed its not far off bottoming out, But as today is probably the last day I'll have on it this year it didn't stop me doing a couple of trails on my way home. :whistle:

AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

Jelly wrote:Tbh Gary, I'm made up, just hope they get in touch.

The ol buffalo now has instant adventure heritage and kudos, when we eventually meet I might even let you touch it. (the bike that is before someone pipes up with an 'ooh er')

I didn't think I could but I love the Vara even more now. :)

Re the shock, I've decided to splash out the £280 on a new Hagon and £100 on new fork springs and oil, buy a manual and do it all myself. :unsure:

After all, being a genuine African Queen. ;) , she deserves a bit of lavish attention. :)
As you have only 50k miles on it and are looking to give it a new suspension then it's going to be good for another 10 years.

I know the owner of mine had it running around Germany for a few years and has done a few laps of the Nurburgring. He then brought it into the UK. It was registered as one of the first Varas . It's good to know about history even if it doesn't help the bikes sale price.
Agreed its not far off bottoming out, But as today is probably the last day I'll have on it this year
HANG ON you are putting the bike away for winter !!!!!!! Man Or Mouse - ok who's got Jelly some Cheese!!!
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

AckAckFlack wrote: HANG ON you are putting the bike away for winter !!!!!!! Man Or Mouse - ok who's got Jelly some Cheese!!!
Only to get this all done, I was looking forward to winter on the Vara but I'd rather get her ship shape for next year rather than have to do it next year when the weathers good again.

It'll be all sit up straight and pert by next year. I'm gonna buy some knobblies this time next year so I can really go out and play in the winter mud. :woohoo:

Size and mag wheels don't matter......did I mention that its been across Africa? :whistle:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

alec

Post by alec »

Ahem... I weigh 12 stone you cheeky git!!!

Agreed its not far off bottoming out, But as today is probably the last day I'll have on it this year it didn't stop me doing a couple of trails on my way home. :whistle:[/quote]

12 stone eh, is that each leg or does your mrs wind the scales back so you dont get upset :p

Return to “THE PUB”