Advice sought

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Helicoptermanr22

Re: Advice sought

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Interesting as my situ almost identical. Had back problems so had to give up riding. Anything jolty or harsh could not do anymore.
Trials riding great for few hours then knackered so shortened my rides to a specific place where all my needs are met for a couple of hours.
Bought and sold many bikes sadly as had some brilliant machines. F800 gs XADV ( brilliant bike) AT, 1200gs and rally version. 1250!rally . All of them were brilliant in their own form however I suffered tinitus and achey back and neck etc.
Bought a T7 and apart from numb bum all thje aches and pains are gone.
Its a different riding position and ticks all my boxes.
Touring
Green laning
Gravel tracking
Riding through woods
Economy, for me this just works as i enjoy riding this bike more than any other bike ive owned.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

The advice to stop more often is excellent, 5 or 10mins off the bike each hour will make all the difference.

The Tiger was one of the most comfortable bikes I have had, just the screen and getting hot legs drove me a bit mad. If you want some more "Character" from the engine just loosen a spark plug, much cheaper than buying a new bike :lol:

Also consider whether you are getting tense, perhaps thinking about the coming pain? shoulder shrugging, standing up, leg waving etc. may help.

My Tiger went so I could get a 1250RS for mile crunching, but I got a Triumph 900 Scrambler for mucking around on locally and it is fun, low seat, low power and makes you think about overtakes etc. with just enough vibes. Plenty other options similar.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

all very good answers .. slope of seat, ergos of feet hands bum, rests etc ..

how about just leave the bikes off for the time being .. store away ... when feel more up to it, after a good rest of back and neck.. see if mojo returns.
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Suns shining today but can't be arsed to go out on the bike.
All good answers and good to know others have had similar issues, having thougt about it I think it's also the high level of dick heads about that also affects my choice, riding off road or green lanes etc I can muck about in relative safety ( still love a good ten pumper wheelie :geek: ) where as on the road and on a big bike I ride much more sensibly, maybe I hanker secretly after riding irresponsibly?
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I have similar problem with my back, I am 70+ & 6 ft I ride old moderns, 20 -30 year old bikes. I recently sold my Varadero that was comfortable for long distance but is a big lump, not at all nimble & heavy at slow speed will do lanes but I am not confident in muddy (surfaced) lanes.
I have a Transalp 600 that is nimble (relatively) that I use for local runs through lanes 100-150 miles 4-5hours. For longer rides I use my XRV750 Africa Twin feels less nimble than the TA but is more planted and comfortable over the longer distances 200-300 miles 10 hours.
I had a Transalp 650 that is a cheaper compromise than the Africa if you are solo riding and not worried abut the TA lack of image.
My back is OK with their adventure riding stance but gives problems with a more lean forward riding position, but not a sporty position of roadster.
I have a 1994 Honda CB750 retro roadster I find I get back pains after 2 hours riding, so I generally use it for local club runs on ordinary roads with regular stops so generally not riding more than an hour without stopping.
A useful site for bike ergonomics is http://cycle-ergo.com/ feed in the info for bikes you find comfortable on , then compare those stats with bikes you are interested in, then ignore it and buy what you fancy!
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I hadn’t ridden the cb500x since late last year, as my annual trip to Scotland obviously didn’t go ahead, then I thought bugger it I’ll give up riding on the road what with some of the pillock drivers about & to be honest some of the pillock bike riders as well, I’d maybe not bother si I sold it, then I though what about a trail bike for gently pottering about the Yarkshire Dales, which is where I am now, should I shouldn’t I? I’m 67 now usual building trade bad back & knackered hip, non of us are getting any younger, I live on one of the main routes to the Dales & when ever a bike goes past I think them days would be over, one thing is what do you do with the Schuberth helmet & the rest of the gear though?
I used to be indecisive but now I just can’t make my mind up!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Hoggyf

Post by Hoggyf »

Been out on the bike today and thankfully enjoyed it, sun shone, Mrs was with me, scenery was nice and the roads were good. I realise now it's the reach to the bars that's the issue, I could feel my lats on my back tight after half an hour and if I hunched forward a little it eased so I need to get some risers that will pull the bars a little towards me instead of up, I already have the XC type risers on so I'll take them off and try the other type.
Then:
Honda MB5, Honda MBX125, 350LC, RGV250, MTX125, GasGas JTX250, CM 644 DS, BMW R1100S, Beta Rev3 250, Beta Rev4T, Honda XL700V Transalp, BMW F800 GS, Kawasaki Super Sherpa
Now:
Montesa 4RT, Triumph Tiger 800, Beta Alp, Montesa 315
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I actually fitted a set of bars that were designed for an ATV (on the Triumph Tiger 1050)--these were the same width as stock but had more of a backward sweep. You almost have to drop the stock bars down and virtually off temporarily , and sit on the bike with a similar set and just relax and see where they are in relation to the clamps to give you an idea of what you need---and then get there with either new bars or cranked back risers--personally I would go for a new set of bars. Its worth a bit of experimentation for a few quid to make the bike usable.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

As we get older is becomes more important to get the bike ergonomics right. As mentioned, the forward lean, or lack of it, is very important, and needs to be tailored to the individual, and their present health situation.

I would advise older disillusioned riders KEEP their bikes, even if just the one .. or you will be beset with dreams of previous ownership .. and wake up with an overwhelming sense of LOSS.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

a mate has a vstrom 1000 loves the bike but it gives him a bad back moved to a gs 1200 and he is fine on that it appears subtle differences in the ergos make a large difference if you have an ongoing problem. Hope you can find finding a solution.

Return to “THE PUB”