A great initiative.... BUT... !!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
boboneleg

A great initiative.... BUT... !!

Post by boboneleg »

https://www.cyclinguk.org/king-alfreds-way

I applaud them for this great route, BUT what happens when the cyclists realise that some of this route is shared with vehicles ??

I've just had a quick scout through their website and I cannot find anything that suggests that some of their route might be shared with motorcycles and/or 4x4's
one-legged adventurer
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: A great initiative.... BUT... !!

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

you can bet they won't because they want loads of outraged militant cyclists to complain because their day was ruined by seeing some bloke with one leg on a motorbike.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Saw this and had the same concerns. Lots of this route is on boats and UCRs. Soon they will be complaining about the ruts and puddles making it difficult to ride, and you can guess the rest. Some of this route is simply not suitable for gravel bikes. MtBs yes, but not in winter unless you like riding muddy chalk.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:30 pm you can bet they won't because they want loads of outraged militant cyclists to complain because their day was ruined by seeing some bloke with one leg on a motorbike.
Ooooops, I didn't think of that :lol:
one-legged adventurer
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

On a wider and more worrying note, there's a consultation out about a new Highway Code which will see drivers automatically blamed if a cyclist hits their vehicle, and will also encourage cyclists to pass either side of a vehicle. even it it is turning left or right at a junction. Anyone who has driven a truck in a town will know why this is a BAD IDEA.

Note that while it attempts to improve things for pedestrians, cyclists and horse-riders , there's bugger-all for motorcyclists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... rse-riders
Last edited by Richard Simpson Mark II on Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:31 pm
Not that while it attempts to improve things for pedestrians, cyclists and horse-riders , there's bugger-all for motorcyclists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... rse-riders
What a suprise :roll:
one-legged adventurer
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I was told Brighton are having to get rid of some of their Covid cycle lanes because the buses are getting held up on the narrowed roads :lol:
But they have at least agreed to keep the Speed Trials going :D despite trying to shut down Madeira Drive for good. :evil:
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Great looking route, one that could be followed as close as legally viable on a motorcycle and still be fun. Goes to show how well catered for other user groups have it.
The route clearly uses roads and some very busy ones at that so I don't see anyone thinking it will be traffic free.

Return to “THE PUB”