Where does it say we must return home at night?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Where does it say we must return home at night?

Post by daveuprite »

P4ulie wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:53 am
Tramp wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 am Well as its gone off topic lol.... The last to return to work will be the teachers and council staff who have found sitting at home on full pay rather nice.... Stop the furlough scheme...
I'd love to sit at home on full pay, or even go on a camping jolly (I'm not even going to go there). However I have to head off to work now to the council.....just like I've done every day. With broad, sweeping generalisations like that, you should go into politics
Well said, P4ulie. That was possibly the worst informed, least factually correct post I've seen about the lockdown thus far. Some facts. The schools have been open throughout, so that the children of essential workers and those with special needs could be looked after in very difficult conditions for a school to work in. Teachers not required in school have usually continued to work from home, marking work submitted on-line and helping their pupils remotely. Local council workers have been managing services from home or risking infection by collecting waste and recycling, cleaning streets, maintaining street lighting, running social services, transport services, planning services - the massive list goes on and on. By far the largest proportion of those who have been furloughed work for the private sector, to prevent their employers from sacking them, not the public sector - which has been in the front line of tackling the virus crisis throughout. If it wasn't for the continued dedication of largely low-paid public sector staff, the UK would have sunk to its knees like Brazil months ago. This crisis should have taught everyone, even the most avid neo-liberal, that ultimately it is the state that bails us all out in extremis - and that's why we should all pay in via taxation to provide the catch-netting we all need at times like this.

Posts like that perfectly reflect the success of certain politicians and newspapers in dragging gullible public opinion into their narrative - which is basically trying to place blame for the covid response where it does not lie and to deflect from high-level government policy failure. Don't be a mug, Don't fall for it. Keep your intellectual self-respect. Base your opinion on the facts, rather than what Ian Duncan Smith and Nigel Farage want you to think.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Frontline council staff have been out emptying bins etc throughout. Not sure how you can socially isolate in the crewcab of a bin lorry, but the bins are still being emptied!

Those who normally sit in the office polishing chairs with their arses may well have been doing the same at home on full pay.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My teacher neighbour is going into school once a fortnight on a rota, and is continually on the phone to pupils, and has turned all her lessons and work assignments into Powerpoint presentations. She's working pretty hard, but it's a different kind of work, and includes 'welfare' phonecalls to the homes of all her tutor groups on a fortnightly basis.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 am
Those who normally sit in the office polishing chairs with their arses may well have been doing the same at home on full pay.
Well why don't you check then? Why don't you do some work yourself to find out what council office staff and managers have been doing? It might surprise you and upset your determination to believe that huge council contracts, complex multi-agency negotiations, large strategic planning exercises, a staff of thousands and funding allocations involving multi-millions of pounds don't just run themselves - they need to be managed - by people in offices - who are currently working remotely from home hooked up to their intranet servers and meeting via MS Teams. And these things have largely continued throughout the crisis. I know it's Daily Mail popular to believe that there is a stark dividing line between those that collect bins and those that write the landfill / recycling contracts, but there really isn't. They are all needed and have all carried on working during the crisis.

Which isn't to say, of course, that there are no passengers / jobsworths / key-janglers in the office environment, swinging the lead whenever possible. But in my long experience of civil service / LG work they are actually rare and certainly no more common than the same kind of person in the private sector - which is sometimes extraordinarily inefficient.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 am Frontline council staff have been out emptying bins etc throughout. Not sure how you can socially isolate in the crewcab of a bin lorry,
Well we can't, that's right. I just work with one loader and we sit about 1.5 metres apart. The other lads with two loaders have been told that if they want to the loaders can drive to each street in their own cars and then meet up and start the loading. Needless to say no one has done that.
There's hardly any social distancing at our place first thing in the morning even though the team leaders have put markers down showing where 2 metres are. I still wear a mask in the depot as do a couple of others. The first few weeks of the lockdown, going out and emptying bins and i felt sick to the bottom of my stomach but as the weeks have gone by the feeling has worn off and now it's virtually business as usual.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I rode past the local yard at chucking out time yesterday. About 6 or so guys came out of the gates in a close bunch and walked up the road. Much as I’m trying to do my bit, sometimes you just have to take an educated risk.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Billy Bananahead wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:42 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:43 am Frontline council staff have been out emptying bins etc throughout. Not sure how you can socially isolate in the crewcab of a bin lorry,
Well we can't, that's right. I just work with one loader and we sit about 1.5 metres apart. The other lads with two loaders have been told that if they want to the loaders can drive to each street in their own cars and then meet up and start the loading. Needless to say no one has done that.
There's hardly any social distancing at our place first thing in the morning even though the team leaders have put markers down showing where 2 metres are. I still wear a mask in the depot as do a couple of others. The first few weeks of the lockdown, going out and emptying bins and i felt sick to the bottom of my stomach but as the weeks have gone by the feeling has worn off and now it's virtually business as usual.
Feel for you Billy. It's not the nicest work in a heat wave at the best of times, but currently so difficult. So many people not distancing or cleaning behind them, or even themselves. As I've said before, if only the virus was dayglow orange and stunk of ammonia or something, we'd all know where it was and then I bet everyone would be behaving very differently. Complacency will cause a second wave just as much as incompetence.

'I see', said the blind man sitting at the corner of the round table...

I'm sure you're already doing all this but just keep changing gloves often and washing hands like a loon etc, even if others in your crew don't. Wash your clothes when you get home and wear fresh kit each day as far as possible.
simonw

Post by simonw »

daveuprite wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm<snip> Complacency will cause a second wave just as much as incompetence.<snip>
Funny you should say that. I asked an ITU nurse I know what their biggest fear was (generally), and they said "complacency".

(Which surprised me, given they're donning PPE every day and going through several doors into the covid area....)
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Our house backs onto a large playing field and it is full of teenagers playing football and rolling around with zero social distancing.
My Wife is a practice nurse and although they are reducing the number of patients in the waiting room the patients are choosing to sit next to other people ..... so much so that they are not allowing people in unless their mouth and nose is covered.
Giving out rules and guidelines just gets people finding ways around them and pushing the boundaries to justify their actions so at the end of the day you can make as many rules as you like but unless people take responsibility for their own safety then it is a waste of time.
All you can do is self isolate as much as possible, look after number one and hopefully you will not catch or pass on anything.
The second wave is coming, all the health services know so stay safe.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Tramp wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 7:01 am Well as its gone off topic lol.... The last to return to work will be the teachers and council staff who have found sitting at home on full pay rather nice.... Stop the furlough scheme... I never qualified as zero ower self employed recently... And you will soon see everyone back at work..

Even the Italians have capitulated and opened everything... Uk plc is lagging behind the curtains again....
Bloody hell, last week you were moaning about retired people this week it’s teachers & council staff!!

Anyway I’m semi retired, on a decent council pension, & we’ve just had a run in our soft top first time in months, so as they used to say when I was a kid “stick that in your pipe & smoke it” as I said before I left school at 15 I’m now 66 & still work part time so my conscience is clear I’ve earned it :D
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to “THE PUB”