Time to promote powered two wheelers

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Flipflop

Time to promote powered two wheelers

Post by Flipflop »

I’ve just read a report suggesting that social distancing on trains may become a permanent fixture - logic would deduce the same for buses.
As things stand there’s not enough room on trains/buses or at stations, during peak times (Pre C-19). Although the media concentrate on the speed element of HS 1/2 this is typical controversy stirring - the main reason for it is capacity. And, judging how long it’s taken to get it off the ground I don’t think I’ll see enough improvement to the national rail network, in my lifetime, to make social distancing a reality.
Add to this the fact that a lot of people will simply not want to return to commuting on overcrowded public transport and, I predict gridlock in many cities.

Now, whenever I have watched a TV debate on future transport plans no one has mentioned powered two wheelers. I’m sure I read (but please put me right if you’ve got the stats) that most car commuters travel solo, less than 5 miles to a permanent place of work. The next biggest category is under 10 miles.
Now, at various different times in my life, I have commuted into 3 of the largest cities in England and simply filtered past standing cars with one person in it.
Bicycles are also a possibility but I think it would take a huge cultural shift for the majority of Brits, to become like the Dutch and see bicycles as transport rather than racing machines.

So, as I see it, powered two wheelers offer a lot for the future of human transport in this country: Environmentally more friendly than cars - in lots of ways, space saving and social distancing friendly.
Why are they not promoted? I can understand politicians not being keen as they might be afraid of decreased revenue - which is fair enough, but what about manufacturers? Why are there no adverts showing m/c wizzing past stationary traffic - those car adverts where they’re driving round empty city streets???

Anyway, as a year round motorcyclist, I know how easy and enjoyable it is to commute (from an easy 5 miles to a 100 mile a day round trip) with modern bikes and clothing.

What say you?
Venusian

Re: Time to promote powered two wheelers

Post by Venusian »

My vote would be for a comprehensive national rail network with ride-on ride-off carriages for easy access to comprehensive regional trail networks
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I totally agree with what you say having commuted for a long time by m/bike, both in London and Kent. But it takes a certain mindset to do this and sadly many people are not attuned into this, in particular many of those formulating transport policy, although there has been some good progress such as allowing bikes in bus lanes by TFL and others.
For shorter commutes, maybe up to 10 miles, electric bicycles make huge sense albeit the amount of proper cycle lanes is generally appallingly low which I'm sure is offputting to prospective commuter cyclists. It would also make sense to increase the motor assist speed up to say 20mph from the current 15.5.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

As someone that's spent the last 20 years doing a 110 mile round trip commute into London, I'd rather other bikers stayed at home!! :lol:

It's bad enough in Summer when the bus lanes & other gaps that have been free all winter are suddenly full of people who either have no idea how wide their bikes are or have full panniers on - and never look behind & give way.......

Plus, I'm pretty sure that once we stop being a minority, we'd lose the perks - free parking, no Congestion Charge etc....

D
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Chalky723 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:22 am As someone that's spent the last 20 years doing a 110 mile round trip commute into London, I'd rather other bikers stayed at home!! :lol:

It's bad enough in Summer when the bus lanes & other gaps that have been free all winter are suddenly full of people who either have no idea how wide their bikes are or have full panniers on - and never look behind & give way.......

Plus, I'm pretty sure that once we stop being a minority, we'd lose the perks - free parking, no Congestion Charge etc....

D
A valid point, I haven’t ridden into and around London for quite a few years but did for 10 or so and loved the excitement of it. However I was in London about 6 months ago and seriously thought there was some kind of organised cycle race as I rode through the Elephant and Castle at 5pm - I actually asked somebody :lol:
Having said that I feel we need to be on the table, at least, when these discussions take place or, much like trail riding, we will be legislated out.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Chalky723 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:22 am
D
Yeah agree, for 4 years I was a three-season bike commuter (from Marlow, Bucks to Kingston, SW London), and into central London for conferences and meetings. I know I was a risk-taker, and a fairly fast filterer, but it was bloody annoying when dirty great panniered-up ADV and touring bikes blocked a gap that even two sports bikes could get through side by side. And sometimes you'd come across a biker sitting in the queue with the cars! - what's the point of that? I frequently got my Marlow to Kingston commute down to 35 minutes by bike, compared to at least 1hr15 by car, and it was nigh on impossible by public transport. Luckily an enlightened county council employer allowed me to work from home at least 2 days a week and use flexi-time and tele-conferencing (this is 15 years ago!) to avoid road-use as much as possible.

We have to be a bit careful with promoting motorbikes as benign congestion-busting machines. Most street-bikes, sports bikes, tourers and ADV bikes do about 35 - 60 mpg, nothing spectacular, and comparable to a lot of cars. They are not all that 'green'. Obviously the impending change to electric power from renewable sources will change all that, but it's a bit of an exaggeration to claim that current bikes are much cleaner than cars. Of course they can get through the traffic better (if ridden properly) and that's a good advantage, plus they take up less parking space. Scooters offer much better economy.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

[/quote]

We have to be a bit careful with promoting motorbikes as benign congestion-busting machines. Most street-bikes, sports bikes, tourers and ADV bikes do about 35 - 60 mpg, nothing spectacular, and comparable to a lot of cars. They are not all that 'green'. Obviously the impending change to electric power from renewable sources will change all that, but it's a bit of an exaggeration to claim that current bikes are much cleaner than cars. Of course they can get through the traffic better (if ridden properly) and that's a good advantage, plus they take up less parking space. Scooters offer much better economy.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. The title says powered 2 wheelers, not motorcycles.
One of my points being that if we can get motorcycles categorised with electric scooters, under the banner of powered 2 wheelers then we can have a voice.
One of the main things I noticed when I went down to London after a break of 15 years was that the lanes were much smaller - where there used to be 1 lane there’s now 2, 2 now 3 - this makes it much harder to filter.
At some stage there will be a ban on 4 wheeled, private transport in cities - better that we’re seen as 2 wheelers like scooters rather than motorised transport like cars when it comes to transport planning.

Not that I’m adverse to getting an electric scooter, it’s just the 150 miles to get to London - I’m not a Mod :lol:
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

dynax

Post by dynax »

The GOV do not want motorcycles of any kind full stop, a motorcycle whether a moped, scooter or motorcycle gives a person( rider) a sense of freedom, the powers that be do not want people to be free, with so much surveillance around it easy for big brother to keep tabs on people, let people loose on PTW's and they would lose a lot of their ability to spy and track everyone.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a7442

Transcript below:

14-05-2020 The UK’s leading motorcycle rider groups call on the Government to recognise the role of motorcycling during the COVID-19 crisis
The country’s largest motorcycling organisations have today jointly submitted a White Paper to the Secretary of State, Grant Shapps, and to each of the three devolved administrations.
The coalition of organisations is calling for the Government to fully take the role of motorcycling into account as the UK continues to deal with the Covid19 crisis and its aftermath. The coalition also sets out the case for a Government-supported code of guidance for maintaining social distancing for motorcycling in the present situation.
The coalition of organisations consists of the Motorcycle Action Group (MAG), Vintage Motorcycle Club (VMCC), the Trail Riders Fellowship (TRF) and the British Motorcyclists Federation (BMF). The groups jointly commissioned a White Paper which was submitted to the Secretary of State earlier today.
The white paper:
• Reviews ways the crisis is affecting motorcycle riding.
• Discusses the conditions under which motorcyclists can continue to ride safely during the various COVID 19 Alert Level phases.
• Sets out the case for a Government-supported code of guidance for maintaining social distancing for riding in the present phase.
• Sets the scene for review and discussion with the Government about how restrictions affecting motorcycling can gradually be lifted as the Country enters future lockdown phases.
• Makes the case for encouraging the use of motorcycles as well as walking and cycling, during the crisis exit strategy and beyond.
• Opens the discussion on policy proposals that could help encourage greater take-up of motorcycling by commuters, avoiding public transport in line with Government guidance.
In a debate in the House of Commons on 12th May, Secretary of State for Transport, Grant Shapps, commented that “Motorcycles are an enormously important way of getting around”. With Mr Shapps recognising the role of motorcycling, it seems clear that it is time to take discussions further with the Department for Transport (DfT). This paper is designed to create a starting point for that detailed debate.
MAG Chair, Selina Lavender, said: “A new transport normal can only be achieved by consensus of all road user groups. We look forward to consulting with the Government to ensure that motorcycles are given their rightful position in that new normal.”
VMCC Chair, Bob Clark, said: “The VMCC is the UK's largest motorcycle club, although the average age of our membership is nearly seventy. Our members are thus perhaps more concerned with adherence to the guidelines than may be the case with other segments of the population. However, for us, motorcycling is more than transport, and is often the physical and mental exercise essential for our members' wellbeing. The VMCC seeks confirmation that those of our members who are fit and healthy can both remain within the law and enjoy the motorcycling that is their chosen form of exercise.”
TRF Chair, Mario Costa-Sa, commented: “The TRF Code of Conduct provides a key role in training trail and adventure riders, and compliance with COVID guidance is no exception. Trail Riders want clarity; they look to us as leaders of the largest motorcycle groups to interpret and communicate the Government's public message."
BMF Chair, Jim Freeman, commented, “The time has come for the motorcycle to shine as a serious urban alternative to public transport, cycling and walking. For many, the typical public transport journey is too far to be walked or cycled. The car takes up far too much road and parking space.”
Issued on behalf of the Coalition of motorcycling organisations by the Motorcycle Action Group
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)

Return to “THE PUB”