daveuprite

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by daveuprite »

Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Inventive Spreaders.....

Manchester bars cook up schemes to dodge tier 3

Does a slice of a 22in pizza constitute a “substantial meal”? What about beans on toast? Cheesy chips? Or a plate of chicken wings?

Police officers and council workers in Manchester are baffled at how to enforce Boris Johnson’s tier 3 restrictions in bars and pubs which, to stay open, must serve a “substantial” meal with alcohol.....

Police visited the Common bar in the trendy Northern Quarter last week to inform staff that a single slice from a 22in pizza did not count as a substantial meal. However, they were unable to say how many slices are acceptable......

“We’re finding [the rules] impossible to interpret,” said a council official. “We’ve been having some ludicrous conversations with bar owners about pasties, beans on toast, toasties, bowls of chips with gravy. What is a substantial meal? Surely that depends on the size of the person? What if they’re skinny and they like salads?”

The city’s bars and pubs have launched a rebellion against the government’s new Covid-19 restrictions by using “workarounds” to stay open. These include buying meals from street food stalls, curries from local restaurants and, in one case, a bar offering pizzas cooked by the Italian restaurant next door.

“We’re not closing — we’re going to put up a sign offering pizzas,” said a waiter in the Dutch Courage bar in Sale, south Manchester. “The pizzas are made in the restaurant across the road. We’ve only just opened this bar. We can’t shut down.” A street food vendor, Grub, is starting a “F*** Boris Johnson” campaign to put food stalls in pubs and bars.

Many of the “workaround” measures are being supported by Manchester city council whose leader, Sir Richard Leese, opposed the restrictions. The council and police say they will patrol the city centre and suburbs as well as “relying on intelligence from members of the public”. The council said it would allow food businesses to “partner with licensed premises”.......

Andy Burnham, the mayor of Greater Manchester, said: “If you don’t fund a tier 3 lockdown properly, then you can’t blame businesses for wanting to stay open. The incentives aren’t in place to get proper compliance.” He added: “What we are possibly heading for is a halfway house — a long attritional period where we don’t have an effective lockdown because people are bending the rules. This is where Westminster gets it wrong. This is real people’s lives here.”......

Albert’s Schloss, a bar and restaurant in Manchester city centre, is offering an “eat out to drink out” menu. For £12 you get a main course and a drink, but you can pay £16 for two drinks or £20 for three......
In Lancashire, also in tier 3, Andy Mac, 36, handed out free portions of chicken and chips at his Ships and Giggles pub in Preston. When the council stepped in to tell him he was breaching the rules with his free food, he started selling it — for a penny. “We’re doing everything we can,” he said. “It was a last-ditch attempt to save my bar.”
Its a trick............get an Axe
simonw

Post by simonw »

Surely we can rely on people's common sense here? After all, that's what the policitians are fond of saying. "The people" will surely understand that this isn't about how many slices of pizza you can sell for 1p, it's about try to stop a virus which kills lots of people, won't they?

Or perhaps it's a case of, as someone in my company once said to a rather dense project manager, "Whooosh! That, my friend, is the sound of the point missing you by some considerable distance!"
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

In relation to common sense I can only best quote what is supposed to be an actual newspaper entry in the good ol'us of a:

"Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair, and maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting (adults, not children, are in charge). His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned, but overbearing, regulations were set in place.

Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teenagers suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they had themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer paracetamol, sun lotion or plaster to a pupil, but could not inform the parents when a pupil became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims. Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home, but the burglar could sue you for assault because you protected yourself and your own.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, his wife, Discretion, his daughter, Responsibility and his son, Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, Someone Else is to Blame, and I'm A Victim. Not many attended his funeral because so few realised that he was gone.

If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

The Indianapolis Star, May 15 1998, by Ms. Lori Borgman in Indianapolis Indiana USA"
common.jpg
common.jpg (66.97 KiB) Viewed 723 times
TTFN

Hugh.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

World Beating

TAKE A LOOK.JPG
TAKE A LOOK.JPG (68.47 KiB) Viewed 661 times
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

France not looking at all good right now either. In Haute Vienne we are now on night time curfew (9pm until 6am). Which has put paid to my week of free-love all night acid-house raves in one of our fields. Blast. I've had to stand down Happy Mondays and the Stone Roses.

I just can't see how this can continue without the measures tightening into much larger closures like Wales has done. After all how many contacts can a night curfew really prevent and is it enough to arrest the virus spread? Not if the same people are free to travel en masse to work on public transport the very next morning. It's a gesture, but not sufficient I suspect. Problem is, each measure has to have 2 weeks to work before you can assess its usefulness, and if you introduce several different measures at once you can't be certain which one is working best. During which time a fresh group of people have died.

Does anyone share the view that we are not really being shown the health effects of coronavirus? With just a few exceptions from some excellent documentary makers, the extent of the suffering, the long slow drowning and the trauma in ITU wards does not appear as regularly on TV as you might think. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy, but it just seems like the news and discussion programs have kind of sanitised the issue to the point where thousands of individual and family tragedies are being reduced to more easily dismissed statistics. That in turns allows governments to claim successes out of failures and to somewhat downplay the impact of the virus.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Yes and it partly explains why so many still think the restrictions are over the top...ill thought out, messy and downright contradictory in many cases yes but not even close to over the top even if they were enforced which they arent apart from the odd token pull from the plod.
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

''Does anyone share the view that we are not really being shown the health effects of coronavirus? With just a few exceptions from some excellent documentary makers, the extent of the suffering, the long slow drowning and the trauma in ITU wards does not appear as regularly on TV as you might think. I'm not saying there's a conspiracy, but it just seems like the news and discussion programs have kind of sanitised the issue to the point where thousands of individual and family tragedies are being reduced to more easily dismissed statistics. That in turns allows governments to claim successes out of failures and to somewhat downplay the impact of the virus.''

Absolutely. It has become almost a concept to many, detached from any form or reality - until it hits them or their friends and family of course.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

It boils down to a simple fact we all need money to survive.. End off.... How far you are willing to go to survive is the question some are now asking themselves... Nothing is free in life and no one will help you when your homeless and penny less due to actions of others be it governments or employers restrictions.

How long can you hide from the fact millions are going to die.... Natural selection...

Some folks on here talk a right load of blocks who when the boot is on other foot would soon change their tune.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

The reality is that the majority of people don't know anybody who has been hospitalized or died from Covid so therefore they themselves are only affected by the restrictions. After a while increased figures are just a number if you are not seeing the evidence in front of you.
I am in no way condoning their thoughts or actions but do question how many have seen Covid at work.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “THE PUB”