Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by daveuprite »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:03 pm Does anyone remember the 'R number' which was reported daily by the Government and the BBC and held up as the KPI determining when life might return to normal?

When did we last hear the 'R number' reported...does anyone know or care what it is now? Is it even still measured?
Why are you asking questions which you could answer for yourself in just one or two clicks? Rhetoric, I suspect...

Obviously the R-number is still measured. It was measured for diseases before the covid outbreak and will be in future. It's a helpful means of establishing if a disease is increasing or receding. Just because the media and the public interest in something grows and wanes doesn't alter the metric you use to gauge it or its usefulness. And why would anyone forget something so important after just a few months? Epidemiologists certainly haven't! I suspect you're trying to discredit it or cast doubt on the science, like you usually do with climate change science Richard.

Anyway, 5 seconds of 'research' and 2 mouse clicks later, I have your figure for you. R in the UK is currently somewhere between 1.2 and 1.5 - so on average every 10 people infected are infecting between 12 and 15 other people.

Some epidemiologists are hopeful that the end of the Euros football will mean fewer places of mass close gathering of unmasked, 'uninhibited' people, and the R-rate might improve as a result...
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

You are right it was a rhetorical question.
So, it seems that the R number is still above 1, and therefore we 'should' be maintaining at least the current level of restrictions.
But we are not.
Has our Prime Minister's notoriously short attention span been exhausted on this topic?
Where are the doom-laden daily briefings?
Does the vaccination programme mean that covid really isn't much to worry about any more, or are we just waiting for the football to be over and we can start reporting it again?
The Great & the Good captured on the TV at 'Wemberly' last night didn't seem to be wearing masks, including Princess Kate, who was earlier reported to be 'isolating' but still attended the biggest spectator event of the summer. And the stewards let a load of oiks invade the stands so there was no social distancing.
Is covid important or not.?
We are told one thing by the 'authorities' but see them doing another...and that's been pretty constant since day one.
If I sound bitter, it's because the South-West, where I live, had some of the lowest rates of infection...until Boris hosted the G7 in Cornwall. There was a plague ship anchored in the bay where the police of many nations were crammed together infecting one-another then coming ashore to 'protect' everyone. We now have a very high R number. Thanks Boris!
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yes . its amazing how quickly `U-turn JoJo` expects us to un-remember vital facts.

4 or was it 5 tests to apply for lockdown easing ... one being the R number iirc, .. not increasing., another to do with dangerous variants .. ( i unremember .. so his strategy is working ok).

I remember seeing the plague ship in that fab bay ...carbis ... battleship grey it were ... shame that all the kids in cornwall now sing `ring a ring of roses` ... thaay aad the blaak spott. me thinks .. but hey ... these people are VIPs, just like the ones that flew over here for the football, not needing quarantine. Personally . I am happy to follow govt advice, as I know my place :) , ... and i am expendable, but unwilling.

Since this Pan European, Pan American, Pan demic began, i haver never been so frightened as now!!

.. as bobo jojo says it is now safe and ok not to isolate or take precautions while fuckiin yar neighbour's missis., or something like that. ...

I am of the age where, if i go to hospital, then inevitably catch covid, as per govt plans .. i will be automatically terminated and thrown in a large common lime pit, after being tortured first, of course. I am self-isolating, as i am not strong enough to take any vaccine or indeed any medication (tho i can still get a leg over, the local bike) .. and neighbours, and even normal people, are just starting to ignore any semblance of respect for others.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Quick guys: get yourself some warehouse space and zip-bags. It really helps if you are a friend or relative of a tory minister. Celebrate Freedom Day with a 6 mill contract!

https://www.find-tender.service.gov.uk/ ... MzkXCyP05g
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

The R number is on the BBC news website and updated daily for both the country as a whole and region by region Richard.
Not forgotten, hidden, suppressed or any other conspiracy theory.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Just for info:-
We've been in contact with a number of people recently that had tested positive for Covid, recovered from mild symptoms and since tested negative. This has been in social situations with actual contact (hugging without masks) and also in working environments with no physical contact.
My 2nd jab was on 12th March, our latest PCR test was on 16th July which was negative for Covid and our blood tests are still positive for antibodies. Ongoing twice weekly lateral flow tests are all showing negative for Covid.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Just been doing some reading on CV19 in the UK. The ONS now believe that about 90% of the UK population are now carrying covid antibodies. This is great news for the prospect of finally reaching herd immunity - which the nutcases quite wrongly thought was achievable in Spring 2020 without a vaccine and which the experts knew all along required a high uptake vaccine. That doesn't take account of the threat of new variants of course, and the UK population will be effectively moving indoors within the next three months - increasing the opportunity for transmission. And schools/uni return in a few weeks too. So it's far from over. Now is the time to get everyone who is not currently jabbed vaccinated. There is a chance here to really get to herd immunity, despite the multiple cock-ups of the past 18 months. If only the government had not announced a 'freedom day' and effectively given up on simple boundary measures (masks, distancing), the caseload would be much lower to start with. But there are some reasons to be cheerful.

Of no solace to the 180,000 UK families who have lost a loved one to CV19, obviously. Or to those who continue to suffer long-term respiratory conditions months after contracting the disease. And there's still a 'kicked into the long grass' inquest to come, followed by a flurry of court cases and class action litigation I should imagine.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Yesterday our Daughter said they are down to just 5 patients in ICU with Covid all of whom were unvaccinated younger women that were pregnant or had very recently given birth.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:16 am Yesterday our Daughter said they are down to just 5 patients in ICU with Covid all of whom were unvaccinated younger women that were pregnant or had very recently given birth.
All 5 in such a specific demographic?, Very Strange

Return to “THE PUB”