Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by DavidS »

Boris might not be so bad after all then Dave? :lol:
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

DavidS wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:07 pm Boris might not be so bad after all then Dave? :lol:
Ha. How to compare turds... Are the firm round ones better than the wet sloppy ones? Which particular odour is preferable?

Yes, it has to be said that in the incompetent and hateful world of shite leadership I do think Trump has it won right now. Just the sheer scale and extent to which he has soiled the role of POTUS puts him atop the faecal pedestal. Or perhaps that should be a stool, perhaps. Then there's a close-run battle between the likes of Bolsonaro, Putin, Dutertes and Erdogan - who all sit steaming on life's pavement. I feel that maybe Johnson sits alongside people like Duda and Orban - with scant regard for traditional democracy, a deep sense of arrogance and entitlement, garnished with a large sprig of narcissism and washed down with a bottle of far right dog-whistle populism.

Hopefully one day some semblance of normal service will be resumed. Horrible though it was at the time, I'd rather have the dull centrism of Major, Blair and Brown than this freak show cabinet of sociopaths.

So, "Boris might not be so bad after all" is really a matter of how far you are prepared to go to polish that turd.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

daveuprite wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm Video has emerged of Trump campaign volunteers removing social distancing stickers from seats in the Tulsa arena where he gave a campaign rally. Luckily turn out for the rally was terrible ("24 people from Tulsa...").
Youngsters made up a plan on tic toc to go on line and pre booked thousands of the free attendance tickets to show how little they thought of the president. Hence why there were so many empty seats.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Andi_Archer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:39 pm
daveuprite wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:05 pm Video has emerged of Trump campaign volunteers removing social distancing stickers from seats in the Tulsa arena where he gave a campaign rally. Luckily turn out for the rally was terrible ("24 people from Tulsa...").
Youngsters made up a plan on tic toc to go on line and pre booked thousands of the free attendance tickets to show how little they thought of the president. Hence why there were so many empty seats.
Yeah, I know, but the best bit is that Trump's campaign manager had already told him that there had been over a million ticket requests, and Trump, with his gigantic vanity, believed it completely. Then sulked like a small child when it all went tits up.
:lol:
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

So, it seems that we have an outbreak in Leicester that requires a continuation of the current lockdown rules for a further 14 days after the 4th July.
Living over 4 miles outside of the new 'zone' it won't affect our village in terms of pubs etc opening up and it won't affect our riding because we always avoid the area of the 'zone' anyway but it was concerning to see on local news reports (live from the area of the hotspot) that very few of the people on the street were wearing face covering :o .
Have people really been relying on 'restrictions' to keep themselves safe instead of looking at how the virus infects people and taking their own precautions to avoid contracting it?
To me face coverings in public areas are the minimum requirement for avoiding the spread of the virus and needs to be made mandatory in all areas plus rigorously enforced by fines in the new restriction zone.
Locally, on social media, there has been concern about people coming 'over the border' when our local pubs etc open up but it looks like many establishments are enforcing their own proof of address policy to deter travel from within the restricted zone.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

It'll be interesting to see how/if that works, Toni. It's one thing requiring everyone to lockdown. It's another to say "you can walk around freely, but you over there have to stay at home". Given that millions of people clearly have no intention of social distancing or mask-wearing, despite the continued circulation of the virus, it will be very hard to enforce localised lock-downs. The trick is to get it right, early, first time, but that ship sailed back in February/early March. Containing multiple local outbreaks now with a world-losing track and trace system is nearly impossible.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I agree Dave, Laws/rules are pointless if you are relying on people to selfpolice and there aren't enough resources to enforce them. We are lucky to live in a 'free society' but we don't take on board that it comes with some obligations and responsibility for the health of Society itself.
Sadly the test and trace system isn't accurate or quick enough to get meaningful data out to those who need to do something about it and if it was the authorities don't have the resources to enforce it. The current data is just a smokescreen to be turned on or off to appease the media. The social distancing and lockdown has been shown by the national media to be a farce and on social too from the various large gatherings in rural areas. The public have seen this and for some it makes it easier to think the virus has gone away or that it's not a problem to them.
I have a number of family members who are working directly on the frontline in Leicester (ITU and health centres) who I am obviously concerned about but my hope is, now we have been identified to the media as a hotspot, that more targeted and meaningful testing and tracing will happen. All of my family members who are at most risk of working with the virus actually live outside the new restriction zone so obviously there is an easy route for virus spread, hence my passion for self awareness of how the desease spreads.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Outside a few token areas the Lockdown was never policed, it relied on people doing the right thing.
For a while many did, that has ebbed away .

We have a long standing problem of Police not acting on what is considered low level crime aka anti-social behaviour in the UK, this is going to bite hard now we have a sizable population of the poorly educated with little future prospects and a broken moral compass beginning to realize they can get away with so much

I'm all for displacing a feckless government and civil disobediance has its place in that, but I fear the drive behind most displays of such in this country are impulsive and without thought
Its a trick............get an Axe
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

times of stress seem to bring out the true natures of people
now it is global i must admit i am shocked at what is going on in the world, but at least we can now see the true colours of leaders and the populations and factions.
On an individual level, personally i have become more aware of my own failings and weaknesses, but also of my own strengths.
I am surprised also that, despite out unwillingness to be tarred with the same brush,.. stereotypes do actually emerge.
The criminal element shows itself, the do-gooders become glorious, families become more nuclear, friends become tighter, birds of a feather flock together, and we become more aware of what and who we are.

Also the stages of man .. by age and type, .. become more pronounced
The young have always been rebellious and striking out of their own, and criminals and outlaws will always push their own agenda for personal gain, .... but these varied combinations are also the food of political change, if we can recognise it.

So dont be too hard on the rebelliousness of youth, in your thoughts, as they are often right, if seen from their state of mind.
Just look at those wonderful and courageous hong kong people.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

saw this a few days ago ... what is going on ..... Police?? ... speeding? ... covid movement control ??

Image20200625_142146 (2) by gary boy, on Flickr

the crouching figure is a young man in black shorts and short sleeved black top, on top of the blacks lol.
he had wot looked like a police walkie talkie and seemed to be videoing passing cars !!

Return to “THE PUB”