Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by daveuprite »

Governments have a wider remit. They should lead, govern and legislate for everyone in the country - not just those with 'common sense' (whatever the hell that is...). So historically governments have implemented laws and adopted policies that have to work for the most vulnerable person or, importantly, the stupidest person. OK that can be frustrating for those who tend to do the sensible thing and don't need telling, but necessary to prevent some pretty awful scenarios amongst those who don't / won't.

Johnson's just given up on that 'governing for everyone' concept, thereby allowing the stupidest people to behave however they want without any sanction, regardless of scientific advice or the wider good of society. Selfishness and ignorance have just been given a clear run.

Try reading some foreign press comment about the UK right now. It's mostly incredulous, shocked and appalled at what the UK government is up to and amazed at the state of 'plague island'.
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Nail on head......
and they aren't wrong.
I'm afraid, very afraid.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

214943461_1811881288985394_7621621540782541471_n.jpg
214943461_1811881288985394_7621621540782541471_n.jpg (91.92 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Everyone should read this. Regardless of where you 'stand' on the UK government's retreat from the battle against CV19, this piece contains lots of up-to-date facts. It's from a Grade A primary source and supported by tens of qualified experts. Even if you are an anti-masker you really need to at least ask yourself how you can support your view after reading this:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... Q.facebook

As someone once said: "When the facts change, I change my mind - what do you do?"
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

It seems to me that Mr Javid us putting the cart before the horse by releasing the virus early incase the flu figures are bad this coming winter ........ surely you prioritise what exists in front of you instead of what 'may' happen later.
Just to pick up on point 4 in the Lancet article:-
"Fourth, this strategy will have a significant impact on health services and exhausted health-care staff who have not yet recovered from previous infection waves. The link between cases and hospital admissions has not been broken, and rising case numbers will inevitably lead to increased hospital admissions, applying further pressure at a time when millions of people are waiting for medical procedures and routine care."
Of the 5 people I know personally who work in the NHS 2 of them (30 years plus each) are retiring within the next 2 months and 1 will hopefully be on maternity leave ............. what NHS will remain?
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:26 am It seems to me that Mr Javid us putting the cart before the horse by releasing the virus early incase the flu figures are bad this coming winter ........ surely you prioritise what exists in front of you instead of what 'may' happen later.
Just to pick up on point 4 in the Lancet article:-
"Fourth, this strategy will have a significant impact on health services and exhausted health-care staff who have not yet recovered from previous infection waves. The link between cases and hospital admissions has not been broken, and rising case numbers will inevitably lead to increased hospital admissions, applying further pressure at a time when millions of people are waiting for medical procedures and routine care."
Of the 5 people I know personally who work in the NHS 2 of them (30 years plus each) are retiring within the next 2 months and 1 will hopefully be on maternity leave ............. what NHS will remain?
Did you see Savid Javid on the Andrew Marr show this morning? He is definitely backing down a bit. I think they've just realised how much they've cocked up with the recent announcement. He is now telling people that they are 'expected' to wear masks in public spaces after July 19th. This is a distinct change to what the regime was saying last week. They've clearly been told that they are being reckless and that they are out of step with the virus. They shouldn't have needed telling; it was obvious to experts and rational minds.

Of course telling a puking football fan on London Underground that he is 'expected' to wear a mask (and giving the police absolutely no power to insist on it) is a quite different thing. Perhaps Javid and Johnson should be required to do that job for a while.

I reckon the cat's already out of the bag. It's clear that many folk listen to an announcement that rules are changing in a week's time and just take that to mean it applies from right now. As many of you in the UK are testifying, the supermarkets and bars are already full of un-masked, un-distanced people doing whatever they like. They have a prime minister who has told them to look forward to 'freedom day' and they take him literally and start being 'free' right away. How on earth do you row back from that now to a more careful position I have no idea. It's too late.

(Quick Heseltine quote: "Johnson waits to see the way the crowd is running and then dashes in front and says, ‘Follow me’.")
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

It almost seems like Savid Javid has been put up to make Boris look good.
My Wife has just come back from the supermarket and said "the whole World was there and it's worse than Christmas". Despite loudspeaker announcements about wearing masks there were still families with school age kids inside with no masks :roll: .
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:53 pm It almost seems like Savid Javid has been put up to make Boris look good.
My Wife has just come back from the supermarket and said "the whole World was there and it's worse than Christmas". Despite loudspeaker announcements about wearing masks there were still families with school age kids inside with no masks :roll: .
It's kind of half and half here in France. Masks still compulsory indoors by law and I don't remember when I saw anybody not wearing one. Quite a lot of people are still wearing them in the street too - see that quite a bit in my local village. But then you can be in a supermarket and people reach past you for something on a shelf or pass close to you in the aisle - the distancing thing was respected more last year but it's deteriorated.

If more people read up on how much more effective the Delta variant is at spreading just from fleeting passes, they might be more careful. Personally I'm behaving as if I haven't been double jabbed even though I have. I'll keep indoor mask wearing for a long time yet. None of that caution prevents me from going out, from meeting friends in their gardens, or from pursuing my hobbies - motorcycling, poetry and flower-arranging... :D
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

As the government confirms mask guidance is changing from 'you must' to 'you are expected', people who watched an England fan shove a flare up his arse wonder if we're quite ready for that level of responsibility.

From Have I Got News For You.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Does anyone remember the 'R number' which was reported daily by the Government and the BBC and held up as the KPI determining when life might return to normal?

When did we last hear the 'R number' reported...does anyone know or care what it is now? Is it even still measured?

I suspect the covid crisis will die out when people stop being interested in it...people will still get covid, people will still die of covid, and no one will really take any notice of it. It will just be another winter disease that picks off the weak and unlucky.

Return to “THE PUB”