Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jak*

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by Jak* »

The trouble is that each countries’ data is collected in different ways, at the moment high positive cases do not seem to bear the same correlation to the death rate that they had in June. This maybe because all countries are testing at a greater rate. What appears to be worse in the UK is the confusing and sometime conflicting messages from our government.
What is becoming more apparent is that the UK government are looking to blame Covid for some of the self inflicted wounds of Brexit, for instance claiming that they will have to recruit oversees workers due to the Covid crisis when the shortage of workers such as welders and brickies is due to Brexit.
Still at least Trump continues to make Bojo look vaguely competent.
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

Jak* wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 pm This maybe because all countries are testing at a greater rate.
This definitely influences apparent infection rates. If you only test patients in hospital, you will have a very high infection rate because almost all those people will test positive. A few will test negative, because they have a sever case of flu, or a bizarre reaction to something else or the test was given too late (for PCR type tests) or to early (for antibody tests).

Test the general population and you will get some additional positives (mild cases or cases which are still developing) but you will get a lot more negatives, because most people don't have it.

Trump did an interview about a month ago in which he tried to argue that the US was doing well with COVID because their better testing showed lower infection rates than many other countries. The real reason is that less selective testing is bound to pick up many more negatives.

Whilst the USA has a very large number of deaths, we shouldn't be complacent. Our numbers are slightly worse;

UK: 42,233 deaths with a population of 66.65 million = 0.633 deaths per million
USA: 207,331 deaths with a population of 328.2 million = 0.632 deaths per million.

The death figures are both from the Johns Hopkins website and so are probably the best available; the population figures are less reliable - they were just top of the Google listing..

The USA has almost caught up with us. No doubt we will be overtaken in the very near future. That doesn't change the fact that our death rates are appalling.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,
mick.jpg
mick.jpg (89.54 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
TTFN

Hugh.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

sledgegreen wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:55 pm
Jak* wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 pm This maybe because all countries are testing at a greater rate.
This definitely influences apparent infection rates. If you only test patients in hospital, you will have a very high infection rate because almost all those people will test positive. A few will test negative, because they have a sever case of flu, or a bizarre reaction to something else or the test was given too late (for PCR type tests) or to early (for antibody tests).

Test the general population and you will get some additional positives (mild cases or cases which are still developing) but you will get a lot more negatives, because most people don't have it.

Trump did an interview about a month ago in which he tried to argue that the US was doing well with COVID because their better testing showed lower infection rates than many other countries. The real reason is that less selective testing is bound to pick up many more negatives.

Whilst the USA has a very large number of deaths, we shouldn't be complacent. Our numbers are slightly worse;

UK: 42,233 deaths with a population of 66.65 million = 0.633 deaths per million
USA: 207,331 deaths with a population of 328.2 million = 0.632 deaths per million.

The death figures are both from the Johns Hopkins website and so are probably the best available; the population figures are less reliable - they were just top of the Google listing..

The USA has almost caught up with us. No doubt we will be overtaken in the very near future. That doesn't change the fact that our death rates are appalling.
Hate to be pedantic, Sledge, but you have a decimal point issue. :)

It's 633 deaths per million for the UK and 632 deaths per million for the USA, making them 8th and 9th worst respectively in the world data 'league'. Peru is currently highest, using this particular metric.

Personally, it's the excess deaths over a rolling period that I look to for a good measure of the virus' spread. Again, the UK's figures on this are very poor.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

I see the Donald and the FLOTUS have the lurgy. I don't wish pain etc on many people, but I'd hope he gets it seriously enough to realise why it's serious, IYSWIM.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Oop North John wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:54 am I see the Donald and the FLOTUS have the lurgy. I don't wish pain etc on many people, but I'd hope he gets it seriously enough to realise why it's serious, IYSWIM.
If it is not until they suffer themselves that political leaders pay attention to suffering, then they are unfit for office. But we've known that of Trump for a long time now anyway.

I just wonder what it'll mean now for the election and for Biden and his campaign. It also raises some interesting questions for the conspiracy theorist fruitcakes, who tend to support Trump. So if you claim that the virus is a hoax and you love Trump, do you sympathise with him for suffering from something you don't believe exists? Or do you think he's lying? Where does this leave the 'anti-maskers' ? When you shine even a dim light on this stupidity it doesn't take long to expose its absurd contradictions.

Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I'm actually split 70/30 on whether its simple Kharma or Fake noos
(Be sure that facing an election defeat no deceipt is too low for this excuse of a human being if he thought he could get away with it)
Its a trick............get an Axe
crofty

Post by crofty »

Asgard wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:38 am I'm actually split 70/30 on whether its simple Kharma or Fake noos
(Be sure that facing an election defeat no deceipt is too low for this excuse of a human being if he thought he could get away with it)
I think your right, he can isolate for 14 days so no more irritating public debates for a while. Then he can emerge as some kind of presidential god to his followers saying i told you so its only like the flu. The medical evidence will be scrutinized
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,
DT1.jpg
DT1.jpg (63.07 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
TTFN

Hugh.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,