Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Asgard

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by Asgard »

The Rule is to wear a face covering not a mask, so a buff is perfectly OK
Thats right It's the rule but the advice is to properly use a 3 layer mask, its up to you whether you just comply to rules or use some common sense and reponsibility and do something that is actually far more effective
Most people only seem concerned with the former.

Thing is the more people keep finding ways to barely comply with Rules instead of making an effort to do something effective then the longer we will be in shit, the more jobs get lost, the more futures will be ruined.
But you can of course just blame the government for everything, god forbid taking personal responsibility.
Its a trick............get an Axe
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Rumours flying around here in France about a possible national lockdown. Petrol stations getting busy (not sure what the point of that is!).

Macron's on TV tonight making a special broadcast.

At the moment we're on night-time curfews for certain zones. So it could escalate to a nationwide curfew, or maybe a weekend only lockdown, or a total lockdown in red areas only, or a 2-4 week complete national lockdown. We shall see.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Asgard wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:46 am But you can of course just blame the government for everything, god forbid taking personal responsibility.
Agree very much about the personal responsibility point but it's not an either / or. If your government is cocking up their job then you should definitely blame them. They are elected and paid to govern the country, take difficult decisions, etc etc and if they keep making mistakes then the criticism should be merciless. On the other hand, if you as an individual keep doing stupid things that endanger yourself, people nearby, friends and family - then you are entirely to blame for being a dick. And both can happen simultaneously - as we have seen.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

As I live in Scotland, what the government here says is applicable to me, and here is what it has to say about "face coverings"

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coron ... gs/#whatis

No doubt other countries will have their own interpretations.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Heard from a French friend midnight Thursday one month national lockdown....see what Macron says. Debs just came back from prefecture and they said potential national lockdown as well. On verra mes poule :D
simonw

Post by simonw »

daveuprite wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:38 am...if they keep making mistakes then the criticism should be merciless....
I agree with the sentiment, but not sure about the wisdom. The danger is that it will result in other negative outcomes - decision avoidance, a lack of new people coming into politics, greater effort on hiding decisions and incompetence etc. And people often make genuine mistakes - should everyone be so vilified every time they do?

Against all that, where mistakes have been made through recklessness, wilful negligence, or for some other nefarious reason, then I completely concur – the criticism should be merciless.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

simonw wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:45 pm
daveuprite wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:38 am...if they keep making mistakes then the criticism should be merciless....
I agree with the sentiment, but not sure about the wisdom. The danger is that it will result in other negative outcomes - decision avoidance, a lack of new people coming into politics, greater effort on hiding decisions and incompetence etc. And people often make genuine mistakes - should everyone be so vilified every time they do?

Against all that, where mistakes have been made through recklessness, willful negligence, or for some other nefarious reason, then I completely concur – the criticism should be merciless.
Yeah sure, take your point. But when you make a genuine mistake, acknowledge it, apologise for it, make amends for it and don't' repeat it - that's a very different thing to what's been happening lately. I can't actually recall a single example of that happening for a long long time. We've been treated to a lot more of the willful negligence, recklessness and particularly hypocrisy - all of which should be exposed by journalists, investigated and criticised, with a view to accountability, legal action and resignations where appropriate. After all it's tax-payers' money they are playing with.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Asgard wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:46 am
The Rule is to wear a face covering not a mask, so a buff is perfectly OK
Thats right It's the rule but the advice is to properly use a 3 layer mask, its up to you whether you just comply to rules or use some common sense and reponsibility and do something that is actually far more effective
Most people only seem concerned with the former.

Thing is the more people keep finding ways to barely comply with Rules instead of making an effort to do something effective then the longer we will be in shit, the more jobs get lost, the more futures will be ruined.
But you can of course just blame the government for everything, god forbid taking personal responsibility.
Simple observation in the street shows that masks are rarely worn properly, so are generally less effective for average Johnny as against a healthcare professional who knows what they are doing.

Buffs as coverings (as defined in guidance) cover mouth and nose without the large gaps associated with badly worn masks and are much simpler to put on, so are actually more effective for your average Johnny. They also don't steam up glasses as badly as masks due to better fitting around the nose, in itself a sign of being more effective in that area. Of course, if worn incorrectly, they will also be useless.

Common sense dictates that you wear a face covering that is the most effective for you as an individual and within the rules. It is naive to think that a mask is far more effective in all situations. I have both and wear both in different situations. Buffs are washed when used and masks thrown away (lots of them, sometimes 20 a day if I am visiting sites).

If you really want to up the anti, why don't you take extra responsibility and wear a Buff over your 3 ply mask?
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

So latest from M. Macron. The whole country is to enter a national lockdown on Friday. Much like the Spring, with a few exceptions.

Return to “THE PUB”