Covid 19 Coronavirus

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
DavidS

Re: Covid 19 Coronavirus

Post by DavidS »

daveuprite wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:15 am So poor old Tom Moore shuffled up and down his garden a million times to raise money for the NHS (which is not a charity, by the way). And then the goverrnment spaffed up the wall the equivalent of about half the money he raised on a late, discredited and totally useless contact tracing app.

The government ignored expert advice and offers of help from Apple and Google, who actually know about these things, and announced their own bespoke app with a big fanfare and a declaration of how enormously vital it would be. Now that they have cocked it all up, they try to rewrite history by saying it was never supposed to be more than a small additional measure in controlling virus transmission. O'Brien from 1984 would have been proud of that one. What an embarrassing shameful mess.
Do your charity research properly. :roll:
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Wednesday 24 June. South coast. Hot weather.
Spot the common denominator. Yes, that's right, mostly younger people.
Utter fluffin madness - if you zoom in you can see the lobotomy scars.
Remind me, what, exactly, makes Britain 'Great'?
Or perhaps it's just me ..... now, more than ever.
madness.jpg
madness.jpg (137.74 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
now.jpg
now.jpg (47.94 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

DavidS wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:22 am
daveuprite wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:15 am So poor old Tom Moore shuffled up and down his garden a million times to raise money for the NHS (which is not a charity, by the way). And then the goverrnment spaffed up the wall the equivalent of about half the money he raised on a late, discredited and totally useless contact tracing app.

The government ignored expert advice and offers of help from Apple and Google, who actually know about these things, and announced their own bespoke app with a big fanfare and a declaration of how enormously vital it would be. Now that they have cocked it all up, they try to rewrite history by saying it was never supposed to be more than a small additional measure in controlling virus transmission. O'Brien from 1984 would have been proud of that one. What an embarrassing shameful mess.
Do your charity research properly. :roll:
Thought you'd had enough of posting about this? Oh well ;)

I used the word 'equivalent' deliberately.

The point is (had you read the post thoroughly) that the government has wasted millions on insisting that it knows better than the largest web-companies how to set up this tracing app. and it's been an abject failure. Another failure in a long line of failures, that have cost thousands of lives. And it wants you to look elsewhere rather than actually critique its performance. This is clearly working on you, David, because you seem willing to forgive this government almost anything, or defend it, or turn a blind eye. Well some people won't. Some people want tax-payers' money spent well. Some people have friends and relatives who died needlessly and whose families want answers.

As to the NHS charity arm (NHS Charities Together), well the NHS shouldn't have to have a charity arm. Pretty much everything NHSCT does should debatably be part of the core services you ought to find anyway in hospital settings or within the employment contracts of NHS workers. The NHS is a tax-payer funded lynch-pin of the welfare state, set up to provide free health access for all at the point of treatment via taxation. It replaced an inadequate and scandalous mixture of private billing, Victorian outdoor /indoor relief, occasional philanthropy and a great deal of simply untreated illness - and the founding of the NHS was deeply opposed by the tory party. Central government funding via taxation transformed the health of a nation and its prospects in the mid-late C20th. It was never ever intended to be a charity, even in small part. I accept there are some exceptional circumstances where people want to show extra personal appreciation to individuals who saved their life or helped them in their hour of greatest need - of course that's reasonable. But Johnson has milked the recent charitable donations for his own shameless political ends, often as a distraction from the chronic under-funding of the core NHS budget and to make the public look the other way instead of at his pitiful mishandling of the covid crisis. As a German comedian (yes, there is one...) said the other day: "We don't do charity in Germany. We pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities". And a very handy get-out for incompetent, uncaring politicians.
Last edited by daveuprite on Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Yesterday in Derbyshire there were lots of folk around Fernilee and the Errwood Reservoir had quite a few small children with blow up boats around the eastern shore line. The lay-bys along the A54 and kerbside around the turn for Three Shires were bumper to bumper, with doors left open onto the road seemingly oblivious to other traffic. Fortunately the green lanes that I rode were empty but I expect that Three Shires itself would have been packed so I gave it a miss.

TTFN

Hugh.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

It was surprisingly quiet around the byways of the East Sussex South Downs yesterday.
Not a single horse rider (very unusual but probably out of respect for the horses) and only a few walkers and cyclists, pretty much all of whom we spoke to wished they hadn’t come out as it must have been well into the mid 30’s in the sun.
Never more than just couples so no undistanced groups.
To be honest, it was also a bit too hot for trail riding but the extra air movement on the road elements was most welcomed.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Anyway Boris’s planes ready.
DFB2B334-FD0E-4CCD-B23A-6D67B446D2BC.jpeg
DFB2B334-FD0E-4CCD-B23A-6D67B446D2BC.jpeg (95.21 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

I think behind closed doors the government have gone back to the plan of letting everyone get infected.
Yesterday I spoke to an acquaintance I've know for a couple of years just enough to say hello and exchange small talk he is a doctor, what I didnt know before was that he is an epidemiologist.
The conversation was quite telling and unforunately his assesment mostly mirrored mine.

Right now is about as safe as its going get and may settle at this level for a short time or a couple more months at most, then it'll be off again

Below, shows PHW Summary for Wales, the clearest picture I can find amongst the mess of Data

https://public.tableau.com/profile/publ ... inesummary
Its a trick............get an Axe
petecam

Post by petecam »

lancashirelad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:46 pm Anyway Boris’s planes ready.
You can slap all the Union Jacks you like on the RAF Voyager but nothing can disguise the fact its actually an Airbus A330 – perhaps the finest example of EU and European collaboration in the skies.

Assembled in France, fitted in Spain, powered by Rolls Royce engines.
;)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

lancashirelad wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:46 pm Anyway Boris’s planes ready. DFB2B334-FD0E-4CCD-B23A-6D67B446D2BC.jpeg
'Hair Force One'

I wonder how much longer the Union Jack and 'United Kingdom' branding will be appropriate: Scotland and Northern Ireland look increasingly likely to leave 'Brexit Britain'.

Repaint it with 'Ingerland' in Argos gold, and a St George's (patron saint of Ethiopia) flag?

Then shuttle between Communist China and Trumpist USA while Boris wears out the knees on his suit.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

[/quote]

You can slap all the Union Jacks you like on the RAF Voyager but nothing can disguise the fact its actually an Airbus A330 – perhaps the finest example of EU and European collaboration in the skies.

Assembled in France, fitted in Spain, powered by Rolls Royce engines.
;)
[/quote]

It wouldn’t get far ‘bout the UK built wings though??
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***

Return to “THE PUB”